FRFR Studio Monitor Suggestions

• I'm currently using a set of Sennheiser HD600 headphones with my Kemper, both in live performance (I'm a back line player...not out front, so headphones are copacetic), and when the unit is sitting on my office desk next to my computer monitor. I think the Sennheisers give an excellent tonal image, and I'm looking to find a single, powered monitor that's just a transparent, to either sit right on top of the Kemper (yes, I know that will require a special pad, etc, and will affect the sound sitting on top) or either on the desk...a stereo image is not necessary. I have a Paradigm CT system for my computer (with subwoofer), but it's really not a FRFR signal, when all is said and done. I'm looking for this as an option when I get "headphone fatigue."

I've tried a JBL LSR305, and it, also, is not FRFR...too boomy in the low end, and I also tried an Helicon FX150 (just because I had one lying around, and it, too, is not accurate enough (in comparision to the headphones).

After some initial research, I've sort-of paired down the field to these possibilities:

Neuman
    Focal CMS
    Genelec 8030

Anyone had experience with these, and care to give them a thumbs up/thumbs down for this application???

• For some reason, I can't Edit my post, so I'll "edit" here:

Neumann KH 120
    Focal CMS 50
    Genelec 8030

...these are the specific models I'm considering.

Thanks!

• Opal.

You'll get the flatness you're after but without sterility. Headroom and all the punch you could ever require. Flat, natural-sounding and yet exciting.

I realise they're pricier elsewhere (than in Australia), which is a rare thing 'cause we get ripped off for practically everything down here, but you're not after a pair (only 1), and consider that all components were designed and purpose-built from the ground up at the Rode factory in Sydney. No generic parts at all, and everything is over-engineered.

I'm so proud of the fact that they're made in Oz. I'd have bought them (saved for many years!) regardless of where they were made and cannot say enough about them.

EDIT: Have you enabled cookies? Could be the issue with editing your post.

• I have HD650 headphones which I love and I also have the Neumans. With the Neumans, I have them as a pair and they are used for the Kemper, mixing and also for music listening. I think they're great.

What I cannot give an opinion on is how they compare against the Focals, Genelecs or the Opal that Monkey recommends. To be honest I went with all the positive reviews on the Neumans and am more than happy with the results so I haven't seen the need to try anything else for my particular preference in the sound.

Good luck in your search :)

• If I had to choose from your list of single speakers and the given budget ... I would go for a pair of Yamaha HS8.
    Seriously, a single speaker setup will disappoint you, even if you say you don't need a stereo image. Your selection of speakers already is on the small side of speakers. Cutting this down even more by just using one of them won't make it, imho. You can get a pair of HS8 for the same price and you'll be more than happy.

• Thanks, guys...these suggestions are very helpful indeed, although I listened to the Yamaha's (listed above) at a local guitar center and they are even more boomy than the JBL LASR305's (and not very FRFR, IMHO).

• personally I use the Behringer B2030A TRUTH. These score very high in the price/value area and have XLR in and a lot of adjustment possibilities, very happy with them. Of course a pair of KRK or Neumann are proberly better but there is a big price difference.. it's all about how much your willing to spend..

"We don't see things as they are,
    we see things as we are"

• Ok, so it looks like you really want to stick with a single speaker setup. Tried my best to convince you of a stereo setup in the same price range, hehe.
    Now, let me add one more option to your list. Not sure where you're from and if it's even possible to get hold of this speaker where you are located. But the KS digital C5 Coax is a serious contender. I would always go for KS digital instead of Neumann KH.
    Difficult to describe the differences, of course. For me (and pretty much all people I work with) they excel the Neumann range. But I have to add that my personal experience in direct comparison is Neumann KH 310 vs. KS digital C-120 Coax ... so that's a different price range anyway.

• personally I use the Behringer B2030A TRUTH. These score very high in the price/value area and have XLR in and a lot of adjustment possibilities, very happy with them. Of course a pair of KRK or Neumann are proberly better but there is a big price difference.. it's all about how much your willing to spend..

Behringer Eurolive B112MP3 here... great value and great tone... :thumbup:

The older I get, the better I was.

• Hard to knock the BarfRingers at their prices.

If the OP's budget is around those price points, there'd be no other option IMHO. I auditioned the 2030A Truths many moons ago and for the ridiculously-low asking price I thought they were a steal. AFAIK nothing came close in terms of power (bang!) for the buck.

Judging from his shortlist 'though, it seems he's prepared to spend a whole lot more.