Full Range Backline Solutions

• So I'm currently using an Atomic CLR wedge monitor for stage and running direct to FOH. However, for smaller gigs I'd like a traditional backline solution but I want to keep it in the FRFR realm as I didn't like the result using a traditional guitar cab. I could get another CLR (the standard cab) but I'd prefer a multi-speaker setup and/or more expansive sound than I generally get with the CLR, akin to playing through a half-stack. What alternatives are there?

• Some companies which make guitar cab looking FRFR cabinets that come to mind:

Friedman
    Mission engineering
    KPA-Solutions (their blueamp 212FR looks, and is suppose to feel, like a 4X12)
    Matrix

I never tried them myself thought!

• Some companies which make guitar cab looking FRFR cabinets that come to mind:

Friedman
    Mission engineering
    KPA-Solutions (their blueamp 212FR looks, and is suppose to feel, like a 4X12)
    Matrix

I never tried them myself thought!

Just been checking out Friedman's ASM-12 but that's more a less a like-for-like replacement for the CLR.

I was familiar with the KPA-Solutions gear but last time I checked it was impossible to buy their products.

• Also consider the Red Sound cab for the Profiler, a very well-made FR loudspeaker IMO... and extremely loud.

Could you elaborate about the "espansiveness" (?) you feel you're missing? Not sure I get the idea.

:)

• You mean like a 2x12" or 4x12"?

I found this from Mr. J. Mitchell posts over TGP, in case it can be of help:

• That's interesting. I was unaware of the physics behind air movement in a guitar cab vs. FRFR system.

I recently did a gig using my CLR wedge as a backline amp. I made the mistake of leaving it on the floor instead of pole mounting. Not only could I hear next to nothing of myself, neither could the audience until I cranked the mids to the point where they would cut through a barn door. My tone was absolute shit but at least I could be heard. It would be worth doing with a pole mount as I've gigged that way with a different brand of monitor and it worked well. However, if I was going to return to using a backline solution I would prefer to do so with something that resembles a real guitar cab, for cosmetic reasons alone and to match the traditional setup the other guitarist in my band uses.

• I have always played on tubeamps miced trough PA. i also have a lovely CAE 2x12. I use in ear like all of the bandmembers.. so for me the DXR8 is more than enaugh to have on stage.. Its not exactly the in-room sound as a good combo or cab, but together with a good in-ear system The solution works fine for me. I am not afraid of middle freq. You need it to cut trough

• JM advises against using any cab as backline. Here below follow some further excerpts from his on-line lessons.

As a matter of fact, a traditional guitar cab used as backline gives the impression to better cut the mix to the player only: the audience will not hear you any better.

Are you currently using the CLR wedge?

If planning to switch to something more "traditional" but still optimized for the Profiler, I couldn't stress more how I was pleased by the Red Sound: plenty of volume, good diffusion pattern, linear. It's an "FR" cab.

• I've got a pair of 12" wedges (Dynacord) that I occasionally have stacked on top of each other in the backline with the profiler on top. Works quite well as as "mini stack", although I prefer the wedge position with one in front and one to my side.