Phase issues when multi tracking?

• This just occurred to me for some reason. Since most profile makers are not sitting around working out how they are mic'ing cabs with each other (obviously), does it stand to reason if I were to use an Mbritt profile on one or 2 tracks and then a TAF profile on one or two others for layered rhythm guitars, wouldn't there be some inherent phase issues?

I ask mostly because I am looking for a good solution when profiling different amps at different times to make sure that when I AM multi tracking my rhythm guitars this is a non issue.

Am I overthinking this?

I know Tim Owens made a jig to measure how far over from the cone and how far back from the speaker his mic's are. I assume there can still end up being enough variance from session to session to still cause a potential issue though.

• It depends if the multitracking is one-pass (ie one take reamped through different profiles) or multiple takes. If the latter, I think you are over-thinking it. The multiple takes will never be sample-accurate as far as timing goes, so there's bound to be some element of phasing, although it tends to make an appearance as that musically-pleasing slight chorusing effect that comes with doubling guitars rather than being anything particularly destructive frequency-wise, in my experience anyway. However, most sessions I've done where parts have been doubled or tripled, each take has had its own domain, frequency-wise. This helps to thicken up parts and make them harmonically richer snd sound bigger than life, and also helps to keep them from trampling all over each other's territory.

• It depends if the multitracking is one-pass (ie one take reamped through different profiles) or multiple takes. If the latter, I think you are over-thinking it. The multiple takes will never be sample-accurate as far as timing goes, so there's bound to be some element of phasing, although it tends to make an appearance as that musically-pleasing slight chorusing effect that comes with doubling guitars rather than being anything particularly destructive frequency-wise, in my experience anyway. However, most sessions I've done where parts have been doubled or tripled, each take has had its own domain, frequency-wise. This helps to thicken up parts and make them harmonically richer snd sound bigger than life, and also helps to keep them from trampling all over each other's territory.

Yeah it would be 4 separate takes.

I am pretty fortunate that my playing is pretty accurate from take to take.

Thanks for the reply. Glad to know it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I suppose using profiles from one pack and tweaking them slightly would make it easier too but I just love certain amp combos like a Recto and Marshall boosted.