Any word on 4.0 yet?

• I am an engineer myself (ie the sig ;) ), and it seems to me that hooking the morphing feature throughout the entire Kemper system is likely a fair amount of tear up .... thus the delay in delivery.

On the flip side, adding new delays and reverbs should be a much more isolated task ... ie, it doesn't run through the entire code base, but is instead limited to a specific section which is already designed for expansion.

This may not be true for the delay's though. There must have been some reason that the delay was originally limited to a hard coded single slot on the device.

The verbs should be straight forward.

I would think that the entire upgrade (morphing, new delays and new verbs) should be possible before Christmas.

I'll take that as my Christmas present from CK!

As far as the timing goes, remember, this is a complex product. Ripping into the code base for something like Morphing requires tons of validation. And lets face it, no one here would want the new version if it locked up during a gig now would we?

• I will see 4.0 the very minute Helix hits my doorstep... RATS-WHICH ONE TO PLAY WITH NOW?!?!!!! ARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!! ;(

Careful -- between a Helix and Kemper 4.0, you could end up like Buridan's ass!

Interesting article but careful : this group on Facebook all have it wrong: the smart ass is still an ass even if he doesn't die of starvation or thirst like the "not so smart ass" who couldn't chose between water or hay.

https://www.facebook.com/being…-a-dumb-ass-390856655458/

• BTW, I was thinking that I really had little use for the morphing feature, but I have discovered one that I think most of you may relate to.

I practice at home with a combination of headphones, IEM's and monitor speakers (DSR112). When I play live, I play directly into the PA.

This creates a condrum for me. The sound I get at home isn't the sound I get through the PA.

It sure would be nice to have some sweeps setup with morphing so I could sit out front of the PA in the context of the entire band and use morphing to get my tone for various songs dialed in using a live environment. Once I got it sounding great in the mix, all that would be needed would be to jot down where everything ended up and then create a rig with those settings.

Ok, so I guess I will be updating the firmware as soon as 4.0 comes out :)

• I have to admit, I'm honestly not excited about delays or reverbs. The morphing is cool and I'm happy that this update will please a lot of people. For me, I wouldn't mind if the KPA had no effects what so ever but instead had the ability to use profiles of stomp drives or distortion at the same time as an amp profile.

Even the "Tone Stacks" of various amp in the EQ section would make me happier than Reverbs or delay. Reverb and delay can be found everywhere even in very small boxes that are of excellent quality.

I actually don't like this new direction of turning the profiler into a "do it all" box. Leave that to Line 6 and fractal.Please keep in mind this is just my personal preference and I'm kind of puzzled that not more from those who bought the KPA are interested enough to speak out as many of those who want everything but the kitchen sink. It's really hard to believe and somehow I think that silent majority would be interested in dual profiles and tone stacks than effects.

• Buridan's ass is an illustration of a paradox in philosophy in the conception of free will. It refers to a hypothetical situation wherein an ass that is equally hungry and thirsty is placed precisely midway between a stack of hay and a pail of water. Since the paradox assumes the ass will always go to whichever is closer, it will die of both hunger and thirst since it cannot make any rational decision to choose one over the other...

ARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!! At least Ill die a happy guy... :thumbup:

With morphing you will able to manage an ass to go for the food and the water in the same moment (with your exp pedal) :thumbup:

• I have to admit, I'm honestly not excited about delays or reverbs. The morphing is cool and I'm happy that this update will please a lot of people. For me, I wouldn't mind if the KPA had no effects what so ever but instead had the ability to use profiles of stomp drives or distortion at the same time as an amp profile.

Even the "Tone Stacks" of various amp in the EQ section would make me happier than Reverbs or delay. Reverb and delay can be found everywhere even in very small boxes that are of excellent quality.

I actually don't like this new direction of turning the profiler into a "do it all" box. Leave that to Line 6 and fractal.Please keep in mind this is just my personal preference and I'm kind of puzzled that not more from those who bought the KPA are interested enough to speak out as many of those who want everything but the kitchen sink. It's really hard to believe and somehow I think that silent majority would be interested in dual profiles and tone stacks than effects.

Tone stacks! Yes! Especially one for bass. 8o I don't mind the KPA expanding its capabilities, as long as it does so in parallel with improvements to the original feature set. I still say that the effects should be opened up with an SDK to take the onus off Kemper. Third parties writing and porting effects would satisfy more current users while making the system more attractive to potential buyers. Kemper could spend more time on the basics of the amplifier.

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

I believe that the answer is simply supply and demand.

The Kemper is already the best raw tone machine money can buy. I suspect that increasing the lead in this area of existing strength would do little for the sales of new Kemper's to new users.

While it is true what you say that there are excellent stomps out there for verb and delay, they aren't integrated into a rig and therefore you end up doing the "stage stomp dance" (I am sure many here are familiar with that dance). You also have the "find the bad cable" game to play when things go wrong.

I believe that most here would agree that the main competitors to the KPA are the AxeIIFx and Helix. If you look at what features these products offer today that the Kemper is not already superior in, it is mostly the efx capabilities.

If I were CK, ensuring that my product was as competitive as it can be .... would be my main objective.

I also think that dual tone stacks would likely be beyond the limits of the current DSP capabilities of the KPA (without sacrificing quality).

• Tone stacks! Yes! Especially one for bass. 8o I don't mind the KPA expanding its capabilities, as long as it does so in parallel with improvements to the original feature set. I still say that the effects should be opened up with an SDK to take the onus off Kemper. Third parties writing and porting effects would satisfy more current users while making the system more attractive to potential buyers. Kemper could spend more time on the basics of the amplifier.

Opening up an API for integration of efx sounds like a good idea; however, it is more difficult than it appears.

Keeping the signal path in phase and time alignment is very difficult. While it would be possible to create an API for others to author algorithms with, such an API would most likely be difficult to implement (maybe as difficult as the KPA main DSP) and would require a complete process for validation to prevent instabilities in the unit (like Microsoft's driver development program).

I wouldn't bet on it in the near future ;)

• Wow. lots of interesting information here and lots of smart people. Schroedinger's cat, Buridan's ass, APIs. SDKs. Learned many things today. Thanks for the free education. Now I'm making sense of the meaning of "Enlightened" under some of the Avatars. I mean that seriously and not jokingly. Thanks for those who enlighten us by posting all this educational stuff. Love it!

• Opening up an API for integration of efx sounds like a good idea; however, it is more difficult than it appears.

Keeping the signal path in phase and time alignment is very difficult. While it would be possible to create an API for others to author algorithms with, such an API would most likely be difficult to implement (maybe as difficult as the KPA main DSP) and would require a complete process for validation to prevent instabilities in the unit (like Microsoft's driver development program).

I wouldn't bet on it in the near future ;)

I think you are making some assumptions about the Kemper OS and DSP architecture, but point taken. But either way, it should be possible to offer a robust API based on the fact that the KPA is a relatively small closed system (compared to a PC OS for example).

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• The concept behind Schrodinger's Cat was first proposed by Einstein, as a bomb triggered by radiation, to showcase the ridiculousness of the then current QM explanation of a physical phenomena being triggered by mere observation and in a quasi-state until such a time. Funny thing was, Einstein was wrong, but his though experiment was right, but for the wrong reasons.

Schrodinger altered the experiment to something less upsetting than a bomb (Say, let's Kill the Cat!! Or not!!)
    He was convinced, as Einstein was, that the physical explanation was an absurdity, but in the end, got the credit. (when it was deemed fundamentally correct)

It was probably called Schrodinger's Cat because Einstein's thought experiment was a bomb. So saying "Einstein's Bomb" was confusing after WWII as people would naturally assume it was the Atomic Bomb. So the cat was in, bomb out.

What is amazing is how many experiments Einstein proposed to prove a phenomena of nature wrong that ended up proving it right. He sometimes had wrong instincts, but his genius for thought experiments proved them right or explained them well.

So, as it relates to 4.0, whatever people post currently is probably wrong, but what they are saying may be right, but for the wrong reasons. If thats confusing, maybe it's best to use a Cat Analogy. Anyone?

• I actually don't like this new direction of turning the profiler into a "do it all" box. Leave that to Line 6 and fractal.

I actually agree with this somewhat, as Id rather use the horsepower for guitar stuff rather than a DAW interface.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• Ok, just had a chance to play 4.0 and do some morphing. But I decided to wait for the release of the peasant version with the rest of my Kemper ducklings. Yes, I am that kind of friend...

lol

I am totally with you Dean_R.
    I am sure that there will be one or the other function I can make sense of in the new Morphing feature but it is not something I was holding my breath for. I don´t have the need for morphing two sounds. I will certainly dive into this feature and I am sure that it will offer me something that I can´t see at this point of time, but I think it will be something that one has to be careful with as it might otherwise rub off very quickly.

Also, I am not holding my breath for reverbs and delays. I have "outboard" effects that cover this area and that ALREADY supply me with a sonic quality that is superior to what the KPA delivers right now and I think - with all respect to the fantastic work of the Kemper team - ever will. This perfectly alright with me and therefore I am not complaining about this, as first of all (and mainly) the KPA is an amp for me and it will always be.

I am also a bit contemplative about this new direction or orientation. For me personally I think there are still plenty of areas - like dual profiles and tone stacks - that could and should be covered and explored to cement the KPA furthermore as the ultimate amp machine and again that´s what it is for me. It is an amp and not a swiss army knife.

Again I agree with Dean_R on this. FX programming alone can easily and very quickly absorb all the manpower in a small company as Kemper Amps and it can easily distract from the (my personal) core focus of the KPA: amps and amp sounds.

Well, we will see how it all works out with 4.0 and how Kemper Amps will proceed from there ...

I personally would regret if the orientation of the KPA would shift towards "fx-competitiveness" and "fx-soundforging" in the future and therefore/perhaps neglect a broadening of the pure amp sound shaping potentials and options that are there (dual-profiles or tone stacks to name but a few) and can (and again for my personal taste: ... should !) be focussed and explored.

• There are some amp features being added in 4.0, such as pure cabinet on a per profile basis.
    I disagree that the Kemper doesn't need more FX in favour of better amp capabilities. As a single amp, it works just fine, the sound is quite faithful to the amps it captures. With Christoph stating that there will be no tweaking to the core sound of the Kemper, I think it is good if the Kemper improves upon existing features. Slottable delay is a huge requirement for many users. Improved reverb capabilities, such as the demand for inclusion of a spring reverb, are also sorely needed. i'd go far as to say these were more sorely needed than some of the zanier FX in the Kemper.
    It still needs a few more common Fx, like an auto swell.