Who's using DA profiles live and micing their cab?

• Been messing around with some DA profiles lately with my power rack and 2x12: specifically jevo's 5153, rig busters Cornford mk50, and a few of the Friedman smallbox profiles. And I am REALLY liking what I'm hearing with my amp cranked up! They sound absolutely massive, I could use 4 of jevo's 5153 DA profiles for an entire gig and be happy: sounds EXACTLY like my old 5153. So who's using DA profiles live and micing up their kemper? What style of music are you playing? what are your favorite DA profiles??? I think maybe we should get a list going , sometimes they are hard to find...

• Hi VESmedic
    I am playing live with a 1x12 marshall box behind me but without micing.
    From kemper I go with XLR to FOH. Found some great studio profiles from guidos and blown away from mbritt profiles of the new 800 pack ( there are some merged.profiles in this pack) which works very well for me. Love the sound from the guitar cab and FOH sound also.

• I'm doing this, playing with a 2x12 with a V30 and CL80. Ideally I'd go XLR out straight to the desk, a lot of the gigs we've done with a quick switch around its just easier to let a sound guy bung a mic in front.

• I'm running merged profiles so:
    Direct part of Merged Profile > Marshall 1960A via power head Kemper monitor out
    Studio part of Merged Profile > FOH via XLR left main output (set mono)
    Studio part of Merged Profile > Friedman active monitor via XLR right output (set mono)

I used to do what you are doing @VESmedic and use with direct profiles with the Kemper powerhead and use the Kemper as a standard guitar head and mic a 4X12 as normal as I could never find a happy medium between my on stage cab sound and what was coming out the PA.

Once the ability to use Merged Profiles came out, that improved that ten fold for me and by creating my own profiles or choosing the correct Merged Profiles I'm now happier than ever with my tone going straight to the PA and just using my 4X12 and active wedge monitor to hear myself and get the feel of a real cab onstage behind me. This way I know I can use the same profiles if I do a small pub/club gig straight to a cab with no micing or signal to the FOH or a much larger venue with a large PA and have consistency in my tone.

• why would anybody be wanting to do this?
    the Profiler can run the DA profile into a cabinet and send the same profile plus a profiled cabinet to FOH. surely a carefully selected cabinet will sound better than a 'mic'ed in 5 seconds'-cab on stage.

In a perfect scenario I would never do this, but because of quick on stage change-around's sometimes it is just easier than trying to explain to the sound man. I've had situations where even at -20db the XLR outputss are way too hot and clipping his board, I guess because he hasn't compensated and cut the gain on the input.

If we had chance to sound check properly I would definitely take the time to get it set up through the main-outs, but we usually play festivals where there is no sound check, you rock up, quick level check and then you start and in these situations it's easier just to let the sound guys shove a mic in front of the cab rather than explain over the vocal mic's how to the main sound guy how you want him to handle the KPA.

• In a perfect scenario I would never do this, but because of quick on stage change-around's sometimes it is just easier than trying to explain to the sound man. I've had situations where even at -20db the XLR outputss are way too hot and clipping his board, I guess because he hasn't compensated and cut the gain on the input.

If we had chance to sound check properly I would definitely take the time to get it set up through the main-outs, but we usually play festivals where there is no sound check, you rock up, quick level check and then you start and in these situations it's easier just to let the sound guys shove a mic in front of the cab rather than explain over the vocal mic's how to the main sound guy how you want him to handle the KPA.

Yeah I totally understand, I've been really lucky so far (12 months now going to FOH and using FRFR as well as 4X12) that I've always been able to get in touch or speak to the sound guys at least a few hours if not days in advance to explain what I need to happen, so far no issues. Although one gig I mentioned in another thread the sound guy wanted to mic my cab rather than take it to the FOH even though he knew what the Kemper was......his first response was, "Well does your cab sound crap or something"?. I got my way and everyone said it sounded better for it out front haha.

• why would anybody be wanting to do this?
    the Profiler can run the DA profile into a cabinet and send the same profile plus a profiled cabinet to FOH. surely a carefully selected cabinet will sound better than a 'mic'ed in 5 seconds'-cab on stage.

in theory yes , but there still is also not a TON of 3.0 cabs out there always to choose from that may suit you, I know some that still feel that way, plus some sound engineers do still like to mic a cab their own way at times, although I've ive never ran into it.

For instance , I love the way my 2x12 sounds, I know where "my"sound is on it for mic placement, and I like the idea of having a virtual
    "real" amp on top of my cabinet that I really like and know well personally... Just another way of looking at the kemper and using it if you think about it.