My #3 Black Goop profiling session - with clip

• Hi!

In the beginning of my use of the Kemper there weren't at all the variety of good third party profiles to be had as we see today. So I did some profiling sessions of my own that I called the Black Goop Sessions. I did two of them and I enjoyed it immensely. The goal was to get a D-style sound just the way I want it. Got my hands of some terrific gear from people who normally don't let people know they have it. I did get some nice profiles and I shared some them on the Rig Exchange.Then I found The Amp Factory and Michael Britt's profiles and was very happy with what I had.

But there's always been this nagging feeling that my D-style search wasn't quite over yet.

Then one day I get this call from a person who shall remain unnamed. He had heard my tunes using D-style sounds and told me he had some D-style gear he didn't want to take on the road. So he had bought himself a Kemper and wondered if I'd be interested in doing a 3rd Black Goop session with some of his stuff.

I said yes and a few weeks ago we sat down with some very tasty stuff and had a good time in a studio. This time I had gotten some good advice from Michael Britt on profiling so I had some specific ideas I wanted to try. This time I also had some specific tones I wanted to get. I mainly profiled two setups. One worked well and the other did not work quite that well.

I'm still editing the profiles to get them just where I want them but I'm very happy with a few I have done. When I was profiling I got a musical phrase in my head and profiled the sound to work with that phrase. This phrase later turned into this tune "No Taste Of Rain".

I love playing with this sound. It's meaty and warm, but still very touch sensitive and somehow delicate. It responds VERY well to changes in pick attack, volume pedal (set to before pedals in the KPA) and guitar volume (different sounds to be had).

Here's the tune. I may mix it differently but I'm kind of happy with it.

I'm very interested in what you think of the sound.

[MEDIA=soundcloud][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media]

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/MEDIA]

Cheers,

Mats N

• The tone is very good, sounds a lot like Robben Ford to me. Really classy ! I really dig that kind of 'universal' profile that cleans up very well while still having lots of gain headroom, and sensitive to the attack.

I guess that lots of the tone comes from the guitar as well ?

The keys seems a little upfront on the mix.

• The tone is very good, sounds a lot like Robben Ford to me. Really classy ! I really dig that kind of 'universal' profile that cleans up very well while still having lots of gain headroom, and sensitive to the attack.

I guess that lots of the tone comes from the guitar as well ?

The keys seems a little upfront on the mix.

Thanks Waraba! The guitar obviously does play a part of the sound. And yes, the keys are a bit too loud and I think I may rearrange part of them. We'll see!

Cheers,

Mats N

• Great playing and sounds Mats! You'll have to let me know your set up some time. Chewy tones for sure.

Hey Michael!

Thanks! The profiling setup was an SM57, a 421 and a Royer 121 through a Mackie mixer. I tried very hard to follow your instructions regarding distance.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Cannot wait to test those, the first goop are one of the best still. :thumbup:

Hi Geraldo!

I remember you as being one of the original Black Goop fans. I think I have about 3 profiles that I'm really happy with. The one in this clip, one a little bit gainier and one clean. I like the D-style warm cleans.

Great playing and a great song Mats!

Thanks, Janne!