Weird behavior when using Digitech GSP1101 and Control2 floorboard to do midi switching

• Hi all,

I have a weird problem with the midi stuff. I already owned a GSP1101 and C2 before getting the Kemper. I love the effects in the GSP and the amps in the Kemper and the C2 floor controller is really awesome, so I would prefer to use that to control the GSP and the Kemper.

I have setup a lot of stuff on the GSP+Control2 which work fine with the Kemper, except one thing.

On the C2 there are switches 6 until 10 which control Dist, Chorus, Delay, Reverb, Control. There is a volume pedal, there is a tuner button, a tempo tap button.

Volume pedal works, tempo tap works, tuner doesn't, but heel down works as well, no so biggy. But, out of the 5 switches (6-10), three work and two do something weird, depending on the effect called on the Kemper.

I have programmed switch 6 to send cc 17, works fine, switch 7 (chorus) to send cc 24, issue. Switch 8 to send cc 27, fine. Switch 9 to send cc 29, issue.

The issue is that when cc's 24 or 29 get send the Kemper reacts, but does it inverse, so on my Control2 the light is off when the effect on the Kemper is engaged and the light is on when the effect on the Kemper is disengaged. Since the other cc's are working, I am guessing that the Control2 is sending the correct cc's. It does not matter if I toggle the status of the effects in the KPA rig beforehand.

Does anyone have similar experiences or better, a solution (other than "but a Kemper Remote", the Control 2 was VERY expensive as well).

Thanks for any assistance.

Cheers,

Michael

• Have you tried to manually save the state of your Fx before engaging the switch.

i.e. 1) make sure fx are in off state.
    2) make sure switch on ground control is not active.
    3) save state.
    4) press footswitch.

It it could be as simple as the Kemper not transmitting the state of the fx to your foot controller, so you just have to do it manually.

• Have you tried to manually save the state of your Fx before engaging the switch.

i.e. 1) make sure fx are in off state.
    2) make sure switch on ground control is not active.
    3) save state.
    4) press footswitch.

It it could be as simple as the Kemper not transmitting the state of the fx to your foot controller, so you just have to do it manually.

Hi,

Yes tried that. It does not matter which state the fx are in, the on/off is just either sent reversed or received inverse. The weird thing is that it does work with a few of the switches, but not with all. It would help if I would know if it's the GSP C2 or the Kemper's fault. If anyone with the same setup could send me a correctly working rig with the Control2 settings, that would really help. Or even een backup of both devices (without any commercial profiles obviously).

Thanks!

• I'm going to set up the control2 and gsp aswell to steer the kemper

I'm running C63 firmware and will connect only the midi from the GSP , store patchnames to appear on the screen ...

Nice backup preamp as well

Hope to get it working in "performance mode" too :)

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• Ok , today I started fiddling with both units ... I also noticed the reverse working order of those buttons

I guess it all depends on how that certain effect is saved in the gsp's patch

Wah working , no luck changing the behaviour of the tunes , tempo and bank,up/down buttons

Tried to change performance with fs6 but because the switch was activated it kept scrolling instead of increase 1 step

Its though ...

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• Edit after reading the manual for your controller. A couple of things...

"When you load a preset, some effects may already be on.Those effects willhave a lit LED next to their footswitch(es).
    To turn effects on or off using Footswitches 6-10, follow these steps:

• Make sure the Control 2 is in 5 Patch Mode (see page 5 for instructionson how to switch modes).
    • Press one of the footswitches numbered 6-10.The footswitch’s LEDturns on to indicate the effect is active, or turns off to indicate the effectis bypassed. "

You might only be able to set control button 10 and the expression pedal to control the Kemper, as it seems like the other buttons a fixed already.

"MIDI CC Send
    In addition to controlling GSP processor parameters, you can configure theControl 2’s Expression Pedal and the CONTROL Footswitch to send MIDICC (continuous controller) messages on the GSP’s MIDI channel to MIDIdevices connected to your GSP’s MIDI Thru port. The Expression Pedal canact as a continuous control device, and the CONTROL Footswitch can act asa parameter toggle switch.
    To enable the MIDI CC send options for the Control 2 Expression Pedal andthe CONTROL Footswitch, follow these steps:

• From the preset screen, press the Edit/Select knob once to enter themenu navigation system.
    • Turn the Edit/Select knob until the Foot Controller menu is highlightedand press the knob again.
    • In the Foot Controller menu, highlight MIDI CC Send and press theEdit/Select knob.The MIDI CC Send menu appears.
    • To enable CC send and assign a MIDI CC that the Control 2’sExpression Pedal will transmit, highlight FC PDL and press the Edit/Select knob.
    • Turn the Edit/Select knob to select the desired MIDI CC and press the knob to select it.
      • To enable CC send and assign a MIDI CC that the CONTROL Footswitch will transmit, highlight FC FSW and press the Edit/Select knob.
      • Turn the Edit/Select knob to select a MIDI CC and press the knob to select it. "

If that is the case, maybe use CC #16 Which turns all effects on or off at once. Then just select the stomp or effect slots you want and store them in the state on/off you want and it will toggle them on or off. Leave unused effects as empty.

Note I have not used this controller, only looked at the manual. I might be wrong here.

Edited 4 times, last by drog ().