First Kemper gig....Help !

• So I just recently got this and wasn't planning any gigs, but someone asked me to help out so ..

1. Can I mute the Kemper output via footswitch?
    2. Can I switch on a number of FX with the one footswitch, i.e...add Delay and boost at the same time?
    3. I don't fully understand Performance mode....why would I use this?

Thank you.

No Gain - No Pain.... :D

• Hi there!
    It might be worthwhile reading the manual. ;)
    Here goes and off the cuff but to points:
    1. No, but you can use a volume pedal.
    2. Yes, read the manuals. They are available as pdf downloads on the Kemper website.
    3. Performance mode enables you to group your (up to 5 ) profiles together and to toggle between them. Easier for on stage.
    They have their own effects stomps etc. As I said, best read the manual. There´s the introductory and reference parts. Best read the introduction for an overview and then go to the appropriate reference parts.
    It´s worth it.
    If you wait a little, one of the other boys´ll surely be there to tell you more, but I am not so good at explaining all of this.
    Light the blue touch-paper and enjoy! It´s quite package you´ve got there!

• I don't fully understand Performance mode....why would I use this?

Performance mode was a little confusing to me at first too. But if you've used processors in the past, if you're using the Kemper controller, you can look at Performance mode basically as banks. Each performance/bank can contain up to 5 Rigs/Patches. Banks, patches and presets aren't the terms used for the Kemper, but in application, they're pretty similar.

The video tutorials on Kemper's YouTube page can help with some of this stuff. They say that a common use for the performance mode in live use is to use a performance for each song, and within each song, you can store each rig/patches that you'd need for that song. For me, that's a bit too much. I use performances/banks to store my core rigs/patches. For example, on my main Performance, going left to right, the 5 rigs are my main heavy rhythm tone, a second rhythm that isn't as heavy, a clean tone, a clean tone with a bit of dirt to it, and then my lead tone. I'll use that performance/bank for about 80% of the stuff I play each night. The other 20% will be scattered in other performances.

I could never use performance mode the way they suggest in the Kemper tutorials (a performance for each song) because we play around 33 songs a night, and we don't always stick to the same set list. So I'd have to search for each song's corresponding performance after every song ends. Not very practical at all. I'm sure there are ways to get around that with MIDI, but I'm numb when it comes to that stuff.

• Can I mute the Kemper output via footswitch?

Technically, no, but there is a default rig called "MUTE" which is basically a zero-volume rig. You could use this. Volume pedal is certainly the best scenario though.

Can I switch on a number of FX with the one footswitch, i.e...add Delay and boost at the same time?

Use presets - performance mode, or copies of the same rig. Otherwise, you're going to need to tap dance.

Thanks ...I will check out the manual.......who reads that ?....until you need it !

For serious, the reference manual (not the original one that comes with the Kemper, but it's available free online) is a super easy read, and things like performance mode are explained in detail, as is with some of the more complex nuances of it. It's worth a read, and you don't even need to be in front of your Kemper to understand it.

I could never use performance mode the way they suggest in the Kemper tutorials (a performance for each song) because we play around 33 songs a night, and we don't always stick to the same set list.

Same here. I have base rigs set up on the first 2 or 3 performances. These + overdrive pedals (real ones, controlled with my MIDI controller + MIDI pedal switcher) + MIDI-controllable delay and reverb (Strymon stuff) gives me every single sound I would ever need.

I tried the whole "one per song" thing on my first outing with the Kemper and it was a disaster. It took me hours to program how I wanted (mainly due to renaming things), and, at the end of the day, I just wasn't happy with it.

Use performance mode however you want. It's just a different way to organize your rigs. It is confusing (OP) because it's the same stuff in two different places, but performance mode really is the way to go for most cases and most people.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• OhG schrieb:
    I could never use performance mode the way they suggest in the Kemper tutorials (a performance for each song) because we play around 33 songs a night, and we don't always stick to the same set list.

Same here. I have base rigs set up on the first 2 or 3 performances. These + overdrive pedals (real ones, controlled with my MIDI controller + MIDI pedal switcher) + MIDI-controllable delay and reverb (Strymon stuff) gives me every single sound I would ever need.

At first I only used Perfomance Mode like you described you do. With a max of 2 Performances but now I do the "1 Performance per Song thing"
    For me the different positions of the Patches 1-5 are always the same corresponding parts of the specific song. (1 - Intro, 2 Verse, 3 Chorus, 4 Bridge, 5 Solo) Maybe this makes it easier for you - maybe it doesn't:
    Because I play in a cover band with 3+ hours of material it is way easier for me to use a couple of different sounds for different songs, that only have small changes to them (like a little bit more reverb etc.). It also has other advantages like being able to program every delay for all individual profiles if you use a click-track.
    This only made sense for me from the time I used the relative Midi-Programming. So the Buttons on my FCB1010 from 1 to 5 always load Rig 1 to 5 of the Performance and button 6 and 7 lets me switch between performances.
    If you use specific midi Values (Program-Changes) than this will be a pain in the ass, especially if you change your setlist.

But if you use the relative Midi-Messenges it is easy to move Performances around and therefor change your own setlist. It'll take about 3-5 minutes to change the Performances around for every different Setlist. And if you once named it all correctly the names will stay the same.
    Even my Strymons (Mobius and TimeLine) get changed via the individual Performances with the Midi-Out function of the profiler, which is really handy to control up to 2 devices.

I know it takes a long time to set it up in the first place but I think it is more than worth it to set up a Performance for every Song of your setlist.

• In the tuner, on the KPA, there is a a button to check which says something like mute audio or "tuner mute" (can't remember exactly, you'll find it though). Check that, then when you hit the tuner button, the sound mutes, weather it be on the KPA or the foot controller.

• I just had a gig Saturday with the Kemper and it was stellar!

Everyone thought my guitar sounded great. I use a clean tone mostly and some light gain. I use a Matrix CFR12 cab, Kemper remote, Mission EP1-KP. During sound check, I looped my guitar so I could stand in the audience listening to levels and adjusted the PA levels for everyone else.

Everything is so easy to set up, Kemper sat on top of an old piano that was on stage, connected power, plugged in cab, the remote, mission plugs into remote. Done!

• Guys this is great help....I know the manual is worth a read, it's just that I was still in experiment mode and wasn't expecting to need these functions so soon !

im looking into the foot switch options, kemper, behringer etc but at the moment I'm stuck with a couple of Roland single switches so options are limited but they seem to be OK for tuner / mute.

keep the solutions coming please !

• So a Behringer FCB1010 has just cropped up...should I get it?

Seen good and bad reports on here...but as you can se Im not look nf to do anything groundbreaking

• So a Behringer FCB1010 has just cropped up...should I get it?

Seen good and bad reports on here...but as you can se Im not look nf to do anything groundbreaking

I used an FCB1010 for gigging for about 6 months before getting the remote. It will cover everything you have asked. I found a couple of minor issues
    If you catch 2 pedals it can confuse the Kemper and no sound. This is awkward when switching for a solo. This only happened to me rarely but it was a bit of a pain
    It feels a bit flimsey
    Its quite big
    It needs setting up - but this is dead easy with the instructions
    Otherwise I thought it was very good.

I would suggest getting the UnoKemper chip as it makes it even easier as with 2 midi cables you can used the volume pedal to switch it to tuner and silent, and it shows the tuner on the display.