If I wanted to start recording at home as a hobbyist, what would you personally recommend?

• Hi Waraba and Hal2000,

I have seen the term "audio card" used frequently. I assume, however, people really are referring to a dedicated, stand-alone external Audio Interface. I imagine most people are using a laptop to run their DAW. Is the term "audio card" simply a throw-back / hold-over to when desktop PC's would be upgraded with an onboard, internal audio card (e.g. PCIe)? Do they even make internal audio cards, anymore?

Just curious as to the terminology.

Cheers,
    John

• One other quick question for a home recording newbie (me).

I have a Zoom R16, which is a dedicated digital multitrack recorder, but also functions as an audio interface and DAW controller.

How would I go about integrating and connecting the Zoom R16 with my Dell Laptop and my KPA? I do not believe that the R16 has S/PDIF...is that a deal breaker? Should I forget about the R16 and just get a dedicated USB audio interface, such as by Focusrite or MAudio?

Cheers,
    John

• I have seen the term "audio card" used frequently. I assume, however, people really are referring to a dedicated, stand-alone external Audio Interface. I imagine most people are using a laptop to run their DAW. Is the term "audio card" simply a throw-back / hold-over to when desktop PC's would be upgraded with an onboard, internal audio card (e.g. PCIe)? Do they even make internal audio cards, anymore?

Just curious as to the terminology.
    Cheers,
    John

Yeah, I think the term audio card is a throw-back.
    Audio interface seems the more appropriate term to me nowadays.

• I think that apart from the lack of S/PDIF the R16 is a great interface.
    You cannot do reamping with the profiler of course.
    OTOH Integration with another DAW should go via SD card.
    When the R16 records to SD you should be able to put the SD into a card reader connected to your PC and drag the recorded files into your DAW.

• I think that apart from the lack of S/PDIF the R16 is a great interface.
    You cannot do reamping with the profiler of course.
    OTOH Integration with another DAW should go via SD card.
    When the R16 records to SD you should be able to put the SD into a card reader connected to your PC and drag the recorded files into your DAW.

Hi Ingolf,

Thanks for the reply and answers. I think I would use the R16 simply as an audio interface and physical controller for whatever DAW recording software I end up running on my laptop. So, if I understand this correctly, the recorded tracks are sent immediately to DAW/laptop via the R16's USB connection. In other words, since the R16 is simply acting as the audio interface, I am guessing there is no need to use the SD card reader, and drag and drop files. Do I have this right?

Cheers,
    John

• @Tritium, I don't own the R16 but I think you got this right. When you use it as an audio interface it will be USB Audio all the way.
    My answer above was related to 'how can I integrate tracks I have recorded to the R16 itself?'
    Sorry for my misunderstanding. ;)

Understood, Ingolf. Thanks for your help. I really am a newbie when it comes to the whole home recording thing. So far, my experience has only been preliminary research and reading, to get a basic understanding.

Cheers,
    John

• Sorry Tritium,
    sure, i mean an Audio Interface and not an Audio Card. I find those compact Audio Interfaces with USB or FireWire very useful.
    You can carry it with your Notebook to the rehearsal room etc.
    If you plan to get a new one, i would recommend a S/PDIF in and out to be able to make a high Quality reamping...
    I choosed a all in one call MBOX PRO 3. It has S/PDIF and MIDI and enough In and Outs, balanced and unbalanced so that
    i have a complete Studio in one thing.