If I wanted to start recording at home as a hobbyist, what would you personally recommend?

• also note that the quad capture does not have a dedicated volume for headphones, which is a pain in the ass since you'll still hear your speakers while on headphones. I turn my speakers off at night mixing time, but it's a flaw in the quad design.

• Just buy Logic Pro,
    get yourself a audio interface (with enough ins and outs) (or a mixing desk with USB ins and outs), (both is here, Allen&Heath QU Mixer, ZED Mixer / and a USB audio interface from Presonus)
    get studio headphones (AKG K271 MK II here)
    get some studio monitors (Adam A5X here)
    get some good Microphones
    and learn how to use it.... still learning here - and it will never end!

And if money is there: get the Neumann 120er monitors, get the Universal Audio Apollo in the right size, get some good plugins and be happy! (is in the studio of a friend of mine)
    Greetings!

• I think it would be best to get an all-in-one hardware DAW, like an AKAI DPS, or Roland V or VS something, or Yamaha AW16.

Noooooooooooooooo! ;)
    This is so 1990's and I've personally been through Roland VS 880, 1660 etc. I remember how cumbersome it was to edit within these machines. no fun.

@Freisegler: You're on Mac so get Logic already (don't bother with Garageband) and buy a Focusrite Saffire interface.
    You're set then and the learning curve will be acceptable, believe me.
    And Logic is very rewarding for composing and laying down tracks (the Drummer feature alone is awesome and quite unique, i.e. no other DAW has something like this).
    You'll get acceptable results in no time.

• We each have different needs and reasons for recording. Personally, I like being detached from the computer requirements, and I'm not trying to master a studio-quality mix - just create things for my own use. For me, the Tascam unit was a much cheaper and simpler solution.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I can recommend setting up a dedicated user account for the recording stuff, so as not to get too sidetracked by distractions. I only have the absolute necessary audio apps in the dock on that account. I can still open the other programs, but it takes a bit more effort. Stuff like this helps :)

And I do believe garageband has the drummer feature as well, Ingolf. I use logic myself, and I love it. But I see no reason not to start out with garageband :)

• And I do believe garageband has the drummer feature as well, Ingolf. I use logic myself, and I love it. But I see no reason not to start out with garageband :)

You're right about Garageband featuring Drummer.
    But I like working in Logic so much more to be honest.

• You're right about Garageband featuring Drummer.
    But I like working in Logic so much more to be honest.

So do I, by a mile! :) But that's because I use functionality that garageband isn't geared towards. For a beginner, I think garageband is awesome as a starting point, because the limited functionality makes it much easier to get started with. From then on, it is a gateway drug into Logic, which lets you import the GB sessions directly, if I recall correctly.

• Why not using a free DAW to get into the theme? Garageband is a very nice toy but has nothing to to with mixing and producing.
    A good audio interface is needed anyway, so buying a good one isn't a bad idea. But when he has only little experience he has
    to decide later after working with a (any or free) DAW. As Zappledan sais: Everyone has a different Workflow.
    I'm using GarageBand to save my Ideas fast for a complete song. And afterwords i do it in a professional way with Computer,
    DAW and the Kemper.
    The best way is to figure out over the time. You will see what you need. (we all did so, right?). Many DAW's have a light or SE
    Version. That is a good start to play with.
    BTW: Don't forget Midi in the audiocard because you want to use the SY99. But believe me: The modern Softwaresynths are
    much more efficient that a hardwaressynth from the 80's.
    Once again: Start little and go for your needs and not for other users workflow. But for some advices the forum is helpful anyway.

• Keep the SY99 but use Reason. Perhaps in 20 years someone will pay much money for a "vintage" synth. And i think some memories
    are stored within this synth...
    Reason is a good choice. Unfortunately it has no possibilities to use VST-Plugins but the routing (you do it optically with graphic cables)
    is best to learn this stuff. And the synths and effects are more than you need. Start with a Reason Demo or Essentials to look if it is
    the right tool for you.
    And don't forget to make music instead of whole day configurations, like i did...