How do you profile an amp?

• Am I the only one who thinks the user manual for the Kemper continues to be about as helpful as a wooden frying pan? I cannot for the life of me find any step-by-step process on how to profile an amp (i.e. how to hook everything up, recommended settings, procedures, etc.).

• I looked through the table of contents of the reference manual and saw nothing about how to profile an amp.
    • Then I skimmed through the entire manual itself, and also looked on YouTube in the Kemper tutorials.
    • I also searched YouTube for tutorials from users, but really only found people who already have everything hooked up and are just showing the results.
    • I did a search on this forum for "how to profile an amp" and got nothing but "profiling accuracy" and "Axe FX vs KPA profiling."

Maybe this info is in the manual somewhere and I just missed it (and if so, please someone tell me what page it's on). But considering this is one of the most unique aspects to the KPA, you'd think it'd be a lot easier to find in the manual.

Can someone provide a link that shows how to go about the whole process?

• Simples.

Direct send from the rear of the KPA into the input of your amp
    Mic return from the rear of the KPA into a Microphone of your choice
    Mic up to the cab , set your amp EQ.

Profiler --> Follow instructions.

• It's actually in the Basic manual, rather than the more in-depth Reference manual, funnily enough.

LMAO. I just read through the entire basic manual again, and in ONE spot, I found a mention of a "Profiling Guide". So I went into the support section of the Kemper site and found it. So that's why I couldn't find it before. I was looking in the manuals (as crazy as that idea is). LOL.

• LMAO. I just read through the entire basic manual again, and in ONE spot, I found a mention of a "Profiling Guide". So I went into the support section of the Kemper site and found it. So that's why I couldn't find it before. I was looking in the manuals (as crazy as that idea is). LOL.

Argh, my bad! I was pretty sure that I read how to profile in the manual that came with the machine, but it must've been there that led me to the guide online! Well, glad you got there in the end! :D

• I went through the same issue as the OP when I first tried profiling my amp. Kemper needs to make a profiling video tutorial covering both Studio and DI methods. As an extra, it would also be cool to have a video on tips and tricks to profiling amps. Perhaps a little bit out of the scope of the basics, but I'd definitely appreciate it.

• Argh, my bad! I was pretty sure that I read how to profile in the manual that came with the machine, but it must've been there that led me to the guide online! Well, glad you got there in the end! :D

No worries man. If you hadn't mentioned the basic manual, I never would have found the reference to the Profiling Guide. So thanks to you, I found it either way.

• It´s all very well IMO doing it by the book. But there are a few things that are dependent on for example, the peak sensitivity of the mic at whatever angle, the fact that sometimes it´s best to make an off-axis profile, or how far away must the mic be in order to get some "room feeling" into the profile... These are things which don´t come with any manual, they need to be tried... Sorry if you know all this...

Peace.

• It´s all very well IMO doing it by the book. But there are a few things that are dependent on for example, the peak sensitivity of the mic at whatever angle, the fact that sometimes it´s best to make an off-axis profile, or how far away must the mic be in order to get some "room feeling" into the profile... These are things which don´t come with any manual, they need to be tried... Sorry if you know all this...

Peace.

Yes, setting up to make profiles is basically the same process as setting up to record the amp. Mic selection and placement will have a huge influence on your results.

Peace.

I agree about miking and amp being lots of trial and error.
    One thing I disagree with though: By putting the mic farther away from the amp you won't get a room feeling.
    The Profiler won't capture the room.

• It might capture some of the room's colouring of the tone due to comb filtering, depending on the size and reflectivity, though.

Yup, as well as softening some of the high frequencies :)

Most relevant, though, I think the far-mic'ing allows capturing a more "full-range" version of the amp. By that I mean capturing the "entirety" of the sound, rather than just putting a microscope on a smaller part of a single speaker etc.

• Most relevant, though, I think the far-mic'ing allows capturing a more "full-range" version of the amp. By that I mean capturing the "entirety" of the sound, rather than just putting a microscope on a smaller part of a single speaker etc.

Yes, IF the microphone allows for it. ;)

• It is possible to make an profiles with only a waves guitar track isolated ? I just want to recreate tone from guitar track that i found !