Shit - this scared me - any advice?

• :( Latest status update. Unfortunately the problem is back. I am now 100% sure it is the Kemper itself that causes the problem. Guitar in at the from input, headphone out at the front and I still hear the all distorted sound. There are no XLR cables or other components involved.
    I am now arguing with the shop where I bought the Kemper that I want to replace it. The are reluctant to send me a replacement, which I think is ridiculous as I bought it on Februari 25th. I did make a small movie of the problem occurring and will try to post that later today to this mail. To be continued.
    Oh yes, I have also logged a ticket with Kemper a week ago. I send them the movie showing the problem. My first priority is to get a replacement before the gig I have coming Saturday... ;(

Hope you get it resolved soon dude. Keep us updated, how it went with your retailer and Kemper support. Good luck.

• OK, my reseller (Bax-shop in the Netherlands) did the right thing and promised to send me a new Kemper unit. Should receive it tomorrow. I hope I was just a bit unlucky and will convert to the large group of Kemper users that experience great reliability.

• Well, to close this topic of - I received my new Kemper today, covered by guarantee. Installed the latest firmware and did a restore of the last backup I made. After the restore, all settings, rigs, presets and so on were the same as on my last Kemper. So the backup-restore gives you back everything! Great. It all sounds good so I assume this Kemper will not give me any problems, topic closed.

• Hi, i think I had the same probs somewhere else I saw a thread of someone who said that an internal patch cable was the cause. So I opened the my keeper (non powered rack) and pushed all the patch cables extra to their connections.
    also, in another thread, the clean sense was mentioned as cause when it is set on a "too high" level.
    So I lowered the clean sense level, tested and rehearsed a few times with no sound probs at all.
    hope it will stay like this.
    try it, maybe it will work..

• OK I will contact support. I am now wondering if it may have to do with "bad quality" power at the location where I was. I will post an update if I know more. Thanks.

I know it may seem like a chunk of change...but when you think of the amount you have invested in your KPA as well as any other rack devices, this becomes (IMHO) a no-brainer. Get yourself a Furman Voltage Regulator. I am NOT talking about a run-of-the-mill "Power Conditioner(s)", but the full-fledged automatic Voltage Regulator. The current model is the Furman P-1800 AR. Note the "AR" on the end of the model name. The Furman automatic voltage regulators have all the circuit protection and power conditioning of the lower models (inluding SMS Series Multi-Stage surge protection), as well as true RMS voltage regulation. If you are playing clubs with questionable power, this device may just save your bacon.

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=P-1800AR

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/P1800AR

Cheers,
    John

• Hi John, I looked into this, but that is so costly here in Europe. 1600 euro, about the same price as the Kemper itself...

• Hi John, I looked into this, but that is so costly here in Europe. 1600 euro, about the same price as the Kemper itself...

Yikes, I had no idea these cost so much in Europe. You might want to see if there is an equivalent, made by a European manufacturer.

Cheers,
    John

• Hi Sharry,
    Please be advised, that is most definitely not an automatic voltage regulator.

Hi, it is called UPS (uninterruptible power supply system.) and puffered with a batterie.(365 VA)
    Back up and protect your hardware and data during power outages, surges and spikes.
    Should be save enough for Kemper.

Of course there must be a reason for the price difference. ;)

• It looks like this thing Sharry suggested is indeed a volt regulator as well, which will keep up 220V for at least 10 minutes when power goes down. And so cheap...I will look into this. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Hi, it is called UPS (uninterruptible power supply system.) and puffered with a batterie.(365 VA)
    Back up and protect your hardware and data during power outages, surges and spikes.
    Should be save enough for Kemper.

Of course there must be a reason for the price difference. ;)

Hi Sharry,

It is a good multi-receptacle surge suppressor with a bit of UPS battery capacity. However, it definitely is not a voltage regulator. It will not correct for poor mains voltage supply, such as sags, brownouts or overvoltages.

The UPS function only activates upon loss of voltage (power interruption / loss), and unlike more expensive UPS systems, it will not output a smooth sinewave to the connected equipment. By contrast, a true voltage regulator is constantly and continuously monitoring and correcting input supply voltage within a wide range (e.g. 97V to 137V) while it outputs a stable 120V to the connected equipment.

Again, nothing wrong with the APC unit. You definitely want to have a good surge protector. Furthermore, the small UPS capacity might give you enough time to save any edited rigs and safely shutdown your KPA. However, don't mistake that APC unit with a voltage regulator.

Mind you, I am not saying everyone needs an automatic voltage regulator. However, if you have crappy power and/or you travel and play clubs that likewise have crappy power...then a true AVR + power conditioner, such as the Furman, is highly recommended.

Cheers,
    John

• John, erm we have 220-240 V in Europe... Perhaps why the option costs 1500 Euros? Just an aside FWIW... :whistling:

• However, don't mistake that APC unit with a voltage regulator.

Hi John , don't worry - I know the difference . In a former live I was working with UPS units in big formats. :)

To be precise, my Kemper is without Power amp.
    For normally places in Europe I would not spent so much money for a voltage regulation unit.
    No doubt - a device with 1500 Euros must be better - but is it necessary for this application?

The Kemper is not so sensitive for small Voltage changes. It does not need labor condition.
    I am pretty shure that internal the Kemper has it's own Voltage regulation. (but obviously not buffered)
    It is a good feeling in case of a voltage drop to shut down the Kemper with its shut down sequence. It is said that the next start could be faster than after a stop with voltage drop..

If you have really bloody power conditions than I asume maybe more problems with the Amps, Mixer and PA (because Kemper need less power)

BTW. The small capacity 345 VA of the batteries are enough for more than just to save the Rigs. But it would make no sense to run the Kemper without Amplifier. ;)
    It protects also against spikes and overvoltage