What don't you like about your KPA?

• The only thing that I don't like about the Kemper is that now I'm all out of excuses. If I sound bad, it's not my gear.

Funny cuz it's true!
    I just got a PRS Silver Sky, and the combination of its clarity, presence, and note separation along with some nice clean to dirty Plexi profiles really jumps out!
    No more sloppy Dave!
    Almost... :P

• The way the remote connects to the kemper is very poor.

I can understand that it probably wasn't understood how much of a problem this would be when the unit was designed, or first produced, but it does seem odd that it hasn't been fixed for newer units.

It's clear that Kemper hq are aware of the problem, so many users have had problems, and some have created a partial fix by adding a breakout box with a more sturdy connection.

Kemper's failure to address this problem in newer units somewhat solidifies my feeling that they think that the way they do, or have done, things, is best, regardless of repeated evidence to the contrary.

• The Wah effect is very complex, none of the parameters make sense without some sort of guide. This is why I just said "fuck it" and use the Crybaby preset on everything.

I'd also complain about all the small features like Pure Cabinet, Space, High and Low Shift, and like, everything in the amp block having major impacts on your tones despite being very vaguely defined, but that's really user error more than anything else.

• The Wah effect is very complex, none of the parameters make sense without some sort of guide. This is why I just said "fuck it" and use the Crybaby preset on everything.

I'd also complain about all the small features like Pure Cabinet, Space, High and Low Shift, and like, everything in the amp block having major impacts on your tones despite being very vaguely defined, but that's really user error more than anything else.

I agree and use the crybaby preset too.. The amp block parameters are just to much to tweak, so i'm trying to use a graphic eq in the x slot to solve everything but it's still not workin out. This is all for high gain stuff...

• The way the remote connects to the kemper is very poor.

I can understand that it probably wasn't understood how much of a problem this would be when the unit was designed, or first produced, but it does seem odd that it hasn't been fixed for newer units.

Agree. There should be plenty space for an EtherCON socket.

I also have a couple issue with the remote software-implementation. The remote takes much too long to connect. Had both ends implemented initiation as a tight (sub-second timer) listen/select-loop then the connection would be established immediately as soon as both ends were ready. Now the KPA sits for up to 15-20sec waiting for the remote to connect after boot as the remote only attempt to connect once every 20 sec or so. When the remote connects it also tends to mess with effects. Mine tends to activate the FX in slot C when the connection is established. Finally I've got a couple slots in a performance that do not initiate correctly when switching from a slot in another performance. Very noticeable for example when the slot in question has a rig for a clean acoustic guitar, but initiates with heavy distortion. This last thing is probably the KPA acting up rather than the remote though.

Most irritating of all to me is the general sluggishness of the unit. I'd probably buy a new KPA with upgraded components for this reason only.

• 1) Preset/File Management that is counter-intuitive and non-standard. Cannot save to, only save as. Cannot have just one version that is used many times (standard file management and user experience on any other file system).
    2) File naming convention too short. When trying to import cab ir's, I have had to find work arounds to renaming mass groups of cabs since the kemper cannot deal with files with names beyond a certain character length.
    3) The inability of Rig Manager to allow for deeper editing of performances and rigs.

• Love a lot about my KPA, but 4 things bug the life out of me:

1 - The tap tempo light that flashes erratically in no particular time. Useless.

2 - Looper control options (even with the Remote) seem to be setup to intentionally deter/stop easy live use. Why?????

3 - When modifying an effect from the scroll menu, the menu starts at the last effect you edited, not at the effect you are currently editing. e.g:. You add a pure boost in the first "A" slot and store it. Great. You have a Delay in the delay slot but want try something different, so you press and hold the Delay button, go to scroll, and the list starts way back at "Pure Boost". Cuss a little under your breath as you crank on the wheel hunting for the delay section.

4 - Unable to store and recall pre-arranged "setlists" in performance mode.

• 2) File naming convention too short. When trying to import cab ir's, I have had to find work arounds to renaming mass groups of cabs since the kemper cannot deal with files with names beyond a certain character length.

Yeah 'Hookster, IIRC it's 31 characters. I spent many hours trying to squeeze the cab, speaker, mic and mic-position (and distance) information into that few letters. Good call, mate.

This is one of the reasons I gave up on IR's 'cause I have so many that I collected for convolution-reverb plugins (can still be used for cab-sim mixing tasks) that I realised it'd be ridiculous to try to rename all of them prior to conversion.

EDIT:
    I've run into the same problem with naming the wah-preset collection and have had to devise a scheme (which I outlined for everyone of course!) that allows the barest minimum (and neat) description I can think of to be used.

• I love my Kemper.. It is amazing but i feel theres an entire sound design opportunity here. I know the kemp is geared around profiling but the potential for preset and more FX driven packs is not really tapped. Im left thinking this is an oppurtinuty i might have to look into. For example.. if im looking for genre specific sounds. Disco , Pop , EDM( Indie EDM like Gryffn , Illenium , Chain Smokers ) , Praise and worship , I realize you can easily make these but how about some super top notch presets made to inspire with all the dynamics being already dialed in for themes part.. EQ , compression , Delays , Reverb Etc. etc..

Being able to load these form the Rig manager would be epic.. maybe Im missing something or I haven't explored enough.

• The one and only thing I am oit happy with is scrolling through FX presets... this is a real pain..

That's my issue too. I have to scroll though a huge amount of delays, that I never use, to get to the effects I do use. I know I could delete the delay settings, but it would be nice if you could go to the effect type and then expand from there, for the type and browse functions.

• The 'transpose' stomp has too much lag (latency).

With the newest firmware there's no need to waste a slot for the transpose stomp. You can now find it in the Rig menu. Besides that I have the same impression like you regarding latency even at moderate settings like +/-1 halftone. Sometimes it's a matter of not monitoring loud enough which leads to hearing the strings in their original tuning at the same time you're hearing the transposed signal. This can maybe create the impression of latency as well. But in my case I think I'm monitoring loud enough for not hearing the strings in their original tuning and still I have the impression of a certain latency.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)