Expression pedal dilemma

• This is a 3-part question.

• Am I right in assuming that for the purpose of connecting expression pedals to the Kemper controller, there really isn't any reason (other than durability/warranty) to buy an expensive TRS cable over a cheap Hosa TRS cable for expression pedal purposes? I mean, no guitar signal actually passes through the cable, so the guitar tone is not altered. It's just signals that are passed through. Correct?
    • For those of you who use (or have tried) the Mission EP1-KP pedal, does the switch cause any issues? What I mean by that is, I know you can set that pedal up to control multiple functions. So for example, let's say you have it set for a wah, and when the wah is off, you have it set to control volume. Do you find it awkward when switching the wah on/off and when you hit the switch, (if you have it set to control volume when the wah is off), you accidentally lower the volume? Or, if it's set to volume and you push it to toe down and go to far and accidentally turn the wah on? I like the idea of having one pedal that controls multiple functions, but I'm worried that I'd accidentally enter into the wrong mode at times.
    • Aside from the Mission EP1-KP having a switch, is there any real difference between it and other Mission expression pedals? Personally, I don't know that I'd even use the switch. I could just use 3 individual pedals, dedicated to wah, volume and expression. I'm using the Mission EP1-TC right now for wah and it sounds fine to me. But I'm wondering if the KP1 would sound better because Mission "says" it's optimized for the Kemper. However, when I emailed Mission and asked if their other pedals would work with the Kemper, they just said that "the KP1 is the only pedal that they have optimized for the Kemper." Yet the failed to elaborate on what that actually means or why it's any better than other Mission pedals. So to me, I'm thinking it's really all just marketing hype by Mission.

I like the Mission pedals. But I'm just wondering if I need to spend more money on buying a KP1, or if there is really no difference (aside from the switch) between the KP1 and the other Mission pedals in terms of performance. I mean, once you calibrate the pedal through the Kemper, isn't that really going to result in all of their pedals behaving in pretty much the same fashion?

• Any expression pedal will work and does not effect tone at all the only thing you may find you may like the curve on some pedals better I use a modified Crybaby (uses Mission pot)for wa because it feels like a real wa.
    I use a Roland EV-5 for volume and pitch because of the longer throw and curve
    none effects the tone good luck
    I use off at heel and no switch on the wa so I can easily get the cocked wa when I want it

also using inexpensive cables with no problem

• Still wondering if anyone can answer the part of my question (below) about the Mission EP1-KP.

Does the switch cause any issues? For example, if you have it set for a wah, and when the wah is off, you have it set to control volume. Do you find it awkward when switching the wah on/off and when you hit the switch, (if you have it set to control volume when the wah is off), you accidentally lower the volume? Or, if it's set to volume and you push it to toe down and go to far and accidentally turn the wah on? I like the idea of having one pedal that controls multiple functions, but I'm worried that I'd accidentally enter into the wrong mode at times. If that's an issue, I'm going to end up having to use 3 separate pedals.

• Still wondering if anyone can answer the part of my question (below) about the Mission EP1-KP.

Does the switch cause any issues? For example, if you have it set for a wah, and when the wah is off, you have it set to control volume. Do you find it awkward when switching the wah on/off and when you hit the switch, (if you have it set to control volume when the wah is off), you accidentally lower the volume? Or, if it's set to volume and you push it to toe down and go to far and accidentally turn the wah on? I like the idea of having one pedal that controls multiple functions, but I'm worried that I'd accidentally enter into the wrong mode at times. If that's an issue, I'm going to end up having to use 3 separate pedals.

Hi, i use two pedals. One moog ep3 for whammy/ pitch and one mission ep1 gn for wah and volume.
    Connecting the mission:
    trs patch cable to remote for the expression function. Mono patch cable to connect the switch to the remote.
    My parameters:
    I always have a wah switched on in stomp D. Wah to volume is setted. The switch is setted to switch stomp D off. If i use the switch, stomp D is of and the pedal is a volume pedal. In wah function i use always bypass@stop.
    So i have two functins on the mission and one function on my moog ep3.

Works great

cheers
    Frank

• I have a Mission EP1-KP and have it set up for volume control when the wah is switched off and I'm very pleased with it's performance. As regards accidentally switching on or off I think it would take some considerable effort. I find that it requires a very deliberate and determined stomp to activate the switch.

• I emailed Mission and just heard back from them. I asked them exactly what the differences were between the standard EP1 and the EP1-KP pedals. This is what they wrote:

"The EP-1 and EP1-KP utilize the same 10K Linear pontentiometers. The differences are that the EP-1 does not have the toe switch, and cosmetic differences such as labeling and color choices."

I did see on their website that you can in fact order the EP-1 in the green. So, basically, if you don't need the switch, the EP-1 and EP1-KP are really the exact same pedals.

• The KPA doesn't officially support having one pedal setup for both wah and volume in the same Rig. Let me explain...

Using the Mission EP1-KP with the switch set to turn the wah on and off, going from volume to wah and then back to volume, you have to do a full sweep of the pedal in order for the volume function to work as normal again. This, I believe, is a fail safe, built in to combat a scenario where the volume was at full when switching the wah on, yet the wah was disengaged during a partial sweep (in such instances where the on/off switch was set to an external momentary switch, for example). The volume pedal function would naturally revert to being at its full on state, yet as soon as the expression pedal were to be moved, its value would jump due to the partially full positional state.

The function of Wah to Volume in the set up menu means that in those Rigs where no wah is present, the expression pedal will function as a volume pedal and vice versa. Even though it works to have both volume and wah functions in the same Rig, it isn't officially supported due to the slightly cumbersome 'recalibration' sweep that is necessary.

HTH

• This. I really like the touch-based wah in the Kemper, step on and step off.

• This. I really like the touch-based wah in the Kemper, step on and step off.

Same here. I decided to just go with 2 individual Mission EP1 pedals (the standard version, not the KP) and have one be my wah on all rigs with the touch feature, and then the other will be a volume or whammy depending on the rig.

• Same here. I decided to just go with 2 individual Mission EP1 pedals (the standard version, not the KP) and have one be my wah on all rigs with the touch feature, and then the other will be a volume or whammy depending on the rig.

I think with the Kemper 2 expression pedals (1 volume, 1 pitch/wah) is really the ideal way to go, especially with the touch wah feature. It does work with just one expression pedal, which is how I do it, but if I used a wah more often, I'd have it set up with 2 for sure. You just have to pay attention to what you are doing.

• I had a EP1-KP but sold it. For me personally I just didn't like the feel, especially for volume. It didn't feel natural and had a very short sweep. I prefer the EB VP Jr tone sucker, which BTW really doesn't degrade the tone to me much if you don't use the tuner out jack which I do not. The toe switch on the EP1-KP was another con for me using wah. The wah sound was tweakable and decent but it was way to easy to accidentally activate/deactivate accidentally. You could get a thicker rubber stopper I think to make it require more force to actuate but I never tried it. In the end I got the EB for volume and a Dunlop Petrucci wah and am very happy with that combo. YMMV, it's really a personal preference thing.

• [quote='PIZZA','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/27876-Expression-pedal-dilemma/?postID=294780#post294780']I had a EP1-KP but sold it. For me personally I just didn't like the feel, especially for volume. It didn't feel natural and had a very short sweep. I prefer the EB VP Jr tone sucker, which BTW really doesn't degrade the tone to me much if you don't use the tuner out jack which I do not. The toe switch on the EP1-KP was another con for me using wah. The wah sound was tweakable and decent but it was way to easy to accidentally activate/deactivate accidentally. You could get a thicker rubber stopper I think to make it require more force to actuate but I never tried it. In the end I got the EB for volume and a Dunlop Petrucci wah and am very happy with that combo. YMMV, it's really a personal preference thing.[/quotea]

This is the exact same reason I returned my EP-1KP. I have the Dunlop Volume X which works great as a wah/volume combo. Nothing wrong with the Mission pedal, but the 'wah throw' wasn't for me.

• I think with the Kemper 2 expression pedals (1 volume, 1 pitch/wah) is really the ideal way to go, especially with the touch wah feature. It does work with just one expression pedal, which is how I do it, but if I used a wah more often, I'd have it set up with 2 for sure. You just have to pay attention to what you are doing.[/quote]

Agreed...although I'm greedy and have 3...2 Moog EP3's (cheap as chips) for volume and pitch and converted crybaby for wah, switch removed set up with touch. All 3 for less than the price of one Mission EP1....works for me.

• I ended up buying two Mission EP1 pedals (non-Kemper versions). I don't know how to build wahs, so this was my best option.

I'll have one set up as a wah on all rigs with touch. The other will be a volume on all rigs except a handful where I need it to function as a whammy or something else. I read too many reviews of the KP1 pedal's switch being an issue, accidentally turning it on/off, and things of that nature. For me, I don't want to have to worry about anything like that on stage.

• I use a single mission pedal for both volume and wah. No major issues as long as you understand what's needed to re-engage after turning off the wah. When going from wah back to volume the pedal needs to pass through the setting/value it was at when last used as a volume pedal. So you don't have to sweep through the full range but you do need to get back to that value. Since you engage the wah with the toe switch which is maximum setting as the volume pedal, when you hit the toe switch again to turn the wah off you are right there in the maximum value area. I find if I turn off the wah then put just a little bit of pressure on the pedal to hit against the toe switch but not engage it, it goes back to being a volume pedal.

Does it take a little bit of practice? Yes, but very usable. Especially with morphing on the horizon I'm trying to maximize the pedal functionality wherever possible. Of course YMMV

• I ended up buying two Mission EP1 pedals (non-Kemper versions). I don't know how to build wahs, so this was my best option.

Good stuff -I don't know how to build wahs either but they is a youtube video showing you how to bypass the wah part which is just a couple of re-soldered wires...fun to do as well...

I resprayed mine green as well...