Kemperspotting! Devin Townsend

• Kemper spotted!

Devin Townsend has started to record guitars for his new DTP album. Ryan van Poederooyen, his drummer, just posted this picture. Devin has been a AxeFX dude the last years, so I was surprised to see the Kemper.
    My guess, is that he is using Kemper for amp+cab, and his AxeFX for effects.
    Glad to see more well known musicians embracing the Kemper. Seen it a lot lately.

[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/mpZrtCe.jpg?1]

• Oh i love his stuff :)

Maybe this gig was the tipping point where DT decided to work with gear that is consistent, reliable, practical and light ;)
    What setup is he playing there? A walkie-talkie through a megaphone?

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This has been on youtube since June 2015, he goes through his whole rig from the last tour

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

(PEDALBOARD): Kemper Stage, Shure GLXD-16 wireless, JHS A/B Switch, SoloDallas Storm, Keeley Halo, Mission Engineering EP-1 KP, Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2, Pedaltrain-3 board

• Holy shit that's one big monitor!
    Yeah he "switched" awhile ago but still was using axe-fx in some capacity the last I read.

He mentioned he wasn't 100% happy or something to that effect with the axe-fx as an amp and was partial to the Mesa's (used to be the 5150)
    So he did profiles of them AFAIK.
    He never truly matched his beloved Roland GP effects on the Axe-Fx either I read at the time.

I seriously don't know how any touring pro musician could deal with the FW updates ruining their patches every time either :O

The funny thing is, I've seen digs when artists (and I'm really stretching that word here believe me with this guy!!!!) like Robin Finck switch Fractal will throw in a barb.
    You never will see them say anything when the other way around happens! (Like Dino from Fear Factory/ Devin etc)

Just wait till Metallica tries the kemper ;)

• If you use high gain, play clubs with shitty power it's the way to go. The Kemper gate is good but if you use your volume knob a lot to clean up your tone (as I do) the Kemper gate can cut you high end where the ISP doesn't. I use the Kemper gate on "3" and feather in the ISP until the noise goes away. Works flawless between overdrive & clean profiles without killing your signal as it fades out.

(PEDALBOARD): Kemper Stage, Shure GLXD-16 wireless, JHS A/B Switch, SoloDallas Storm, Keeley Halo, Mission Engineering EP-1 KP, Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2, Pedaltrain-3 board

• If you use high gain, play clubs with shitty power it's the way to go. The Kemper gate is good but if you use your volume knob a lot to clean up your tone (as I do) the Kemper gate can cut you high end where the ISP doesn't. I use the Kemper gate on "3" and feather in the ISP until the noise goes away. Works flawless between overdrive & clean profiles without killing your signal as it fades out.

Thanks!
    Do you run it in the front and in a loop? How do you set it up?

• I only run it in front on Channel 1.