Kemper SPDIF out + Scarlett 6i6 = pop, pop, pop :)

• Hi all!

New here. From Finland, Turku, though I travel too much to have a permanent location :) Been following these forums for quite a while and just recently bought an unpowered Kemper and Scarlett 6i6 from Thomann to use through SPDIF.

The problem is I'm having pops all over the place. I thought it was just happening on high gain tones but nah -- also on the clean SPDIF DI. Here's how it sounds --

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And on gain --

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

My settings are as they should be: scarlett is the slave set to SPDIF. 44.1... the whole 9 yards so I highly doubt this is an issue with settings. I've also tried 3 different computers up to now, windows or MAC, no extra USB devices connected. Buffer levels don't affect this either and it happens without DAW as well.

So I'm thinking that either there's something wrong with the scarlett (pops are there even if disconnected from daw/pc btw) or the Kemper SPDIF out itself (worst scenario).

Have you struggled with similar issues using SPDIF? I don't have any other SPDIF interface with me to see if this only happens with the Scarlett unfortunately.

Cheerios and thanks for any help ;)

• Hi Dimi, welcome here :)

This is actually the first time I hear of such issues with the correct sampling rate and even with no DAW involved...

I would definitely open a support ticket so that Kemper can investigate your case.

• I had thought that those pops were usually due to sample rate mismatch, or buffer collapse.

Does the Scarlett mix control show peaking when you hear those pops?

On your KPA output settings, page 1, what is your SPDIF Output set to?

Are you sure your SPDIF cables are good? If you tried the same cable with 3 different computers, maybe try a different cable.

I don't use SPDIF with my 6i6, because it can only run at 44.1KHz. I use the analog XLR outs, left and right, into the front preamp of the 6i6, at 96KHz. Give analog a try to see if you're still getting the pops. 96KHz is the sweet spot for the 6i6, in my experience. Sounds much fuller and larger at 96Khz.

[Blocked Image: http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/GreenBar0n/20160403_140611_zpsisveqtdt.jpg]

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• I had this with my Scarlett too, turned out the cable I bought wasn't good enough! New better 'spec' cable, no more popping :)

With mine, I kept finding that in Mix control, it kept changing the sync from being s/pdif to internal if you've got the same, get a better s/pdif cable.

• Hello guys,

Thank for all your suggestions and for welcoming me here as well Unfortunately I haven't been able to resolve the issue and have had more problems with the kemper. About 20-30% of the time all profiles sound broken, noisy and don't clean up with volume knob of guitar. It's a bizzare sound really.

Resets, OS updates, simply using factory profiles -- nothing has been able to fix it, and it doesn't simply affect the SPDIF out but all outputs, whether the KPA is connected to audio interface or not.

Whether this is a wholly seperate issue to the SPDIF pops (cables are ok; tried a few; neither does the mix control screw up the kemper being master) I described earlier or not I do not know. Ah, and what I thought were only "SPDIF" pops apparently are actually there on all outputs. At least that's what seems to be the case. It could have to do with the "broken profile" issue or not.

It's rather unfortunate as I'm totally loving the tones of the unit when it does work properly. Was about to do a full night of buckethead covers and have never been as happy with the tone. But the risk of profiles "breaking down" suddenly seems too high. So Orange OR, you are needed again, for now at least

• And for those interested here's what I get now --

Tone is ok for the first few seconds. Then boom. You can hear how it suddenly changes.

It happens even if nothing is connected to the kemper apart from headphones.. 20%, 30% of the time. This was recorded through the direct out...

• Welcome to the forum DIMI!
    First of all i would make a full BackUp.
    Then you could make certain resets (Global Init and System reset).
    Look here: http://www.wikpa.org/Troubleshooting
    Then check your In- and Output Levels. And try to choose another guitar and instrument cable to exclude trouble with that.
    BTW: You have to change the S/PDIF Source in your SoundCard to "Exterrnal" because Kemper
    has to have the control.
    And use a right S/PDIF cable. The old Chinch-Stuff for HiFi use can cause problems.

• Hello Hal2000 :) Thanks for welcoming me.

I have gone through these steps. No difference unfortunately. Either there are small pops or the kemper just by itself (nothing else connected in this case; just headphones to the KPA, so nothing to do with audio interface) decides to sound "broken" 20-30% of the time.

I'm probably returning the unit as I don't think there's something I can do to fix this.

• Did you try: "press and hold SYSTEM while powering up"? Michael Mellner had a problem with Input Sources
    and solved the problem with that...
    Be sure to have a backup before that!

• Really nothing connected. Either no Midi Controller?
    Did you try: "press and hold SYSTEM while powering up"? Michael Mellner had a problem with Input Sources
    and solved the problem with that...
    Be sure to have a backup before that!

Yeap I performed reset; no change. In fact, the "broken" tone was there right after Kemper booted up post-reset as well! :)

• I've had my Kemper for 4 months now. Brand new. I'm experiencing the same noise. Also an intermittent problem.

- It occurs even with stomps, stack, and effects turned off.
    - Front input or Alternative input.
    - The only way I can get sound out of the unit that isn't affected by this noise is if I monitor the Direct out while "Guit. Analog" is selected (obviously not useful for playing, but perhaps for troubleshooting).
    - The unit has been factory reset, and the newest OS is installed.
    - Not the Cables.
    - Not the guitar.
    - It happens over headphones and main output.
    - I don't have the power amp.

I contacting support about the issue, including sending them a recording. There were very helpful and quick to respond. It was determined to be a "hardware defect".

I am now waiting to hear from the US business manager to help with the repair (I haven't been waiting long). I am in London, Canada.

I'll let everyone know about my repair experience!

I should note, the process for dealing with issue has been very smooth so far.

Jake

• And for those interested here's what I get now --

Tone is ok for the first few seconds. Then boom. You can hear how it suddenly changes.

It happens even if nothing is connected to the kemper apart from headphones.. 20%, 30% of the time. This was recorded through the direct out...

Cool sound! Or not :thumbup: Sounds like some serious bit reduction 8| Did you point Kemper support to an audio clip showing this?

• I've sent kemper this last audio clip as well. They seem to be as baffled as I am!

• Cool sound! Or not :thumbup: Sounds like some serious bit reduction 8| Did you point Kemper support to an audio clip showing this?

Yeap I sent them this last clip today. They seem to be as baffled as I am!