FW 4.0 beta experiences thread.

• While by no means gig threatening, I did notice that renaming performance slots was extremely clunky. Patch changes are good for me though and the Wah is rocking

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• Just wanted to chime in. I'm a new User since Saturday. Really stoked!
    I instantly Updated to 4.0.4
    I too have the Lag when setting Values (Master Volume, Gain...). I thought it's just the way the Kemper "works" ;)
    I had one complete Audio Crash. After trying several Profiles from the RE with the Preview function, Audio Output stopped completely. The Interface would still respond, but no Audio Output. After a reboot everything was fine. Had no issues ever since.

For the time being: Can one simply downgrade to stable 3.x with the same process the Update worked? Are there any Profile related (Amp only, no additional fx's or such) that would be missing? So will all the Profiles work properly like on firmware 4? Sorry for the noobish question, but i'm just starting out..

I too have the Lag when setting Values (Master Volume, Gain...). I thought it's just the way the Kemper "works" ;)
    I had one complete Audio Crash. After trying several Profiles from the RE with the Preview function, Audio Output stopped completely. The Interface would still respond, but no Audio Output. After a reboot everything was fine. Had no issues ever since.

For the time being: Can one simply downgrade to stable 3.x with the same process the Update worked? Are there any Profile related (Amp only, no additional fx's or such) that would be missing? So will all the Profiles work properly like on firmware 4? Sorry for the noobish question, but i'm just starting out..

That'll be fine. Same procedure as updating. 3.3.0 is the most stable release.

And welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• That'll be fine. Same procedure as updating. 3.3.0 is the most stable release.

Thank you very much. I'll try that tomorrow morning.
    Also i noticed, that what ever delay i choose, it only says "Legacy Delay" as a name. Is that how it should be?

And welcome to the forum!

Thank you! I already feel that this forum is really great and full of knowledgeable people. I'm having a great time playing the catch-up game and reading back all the interesting threads here.

• In 4.0.5 I'm still not able to modify a rig in a Performance, then go to another rig in the same performance and return. Any changes are lost without saving immediately after. This makes matching volumes between rigs a PITA!

EDIT:
    It's working, I was mistaken somehow.

• In 4.0.5 I'm still not able to modify a rig in a Performance, then go to another rig in the same performance and return. Any changes are lost without saving immediately after. This makes matching volumes between rigs a PITA!

EDIT:
    It's working, I was mistaken somehow.

If if you use the navigation buttons on the KPA to change the rigs within a Performance, you can edit all the Performance's rigs before saving the Performance.

• Thank you very much. I'll try that tomorrow morning.
    Also i noticed, that what ever delay i choose, it only says "Legacy Delay" as a name. Is that how it should be?

Thank you! I already feel that this forum is really great and full of knowledgeable people. I'm having a great time playing the catch-up game and reading back all the interesting threads here.

The three old delay types (which were essentially pretty much identical in reality) were consolidated into the Legacy delay with FW 3.3.0, in preparation for the new delay types that were teased at NAMM.

• Thank you everyone. That's been the warmest welcome i've had to any forum to date You guys rock
    BTT: i just downgraded to 3.3.0 and will now try to understand how this whole performance mode is supposed to work First impression is indeed, that 3.3 has a faster UI...

Edit:
    Is it just me or is there a significant Sound difference between V3 and V4. I can't really pinpoint it, as Updating takes a while and my ears might be fooling me. I feel that especially my JP-2C Profile doesn't sound as refined. The distortion is rougher, with less clarity to it. When i come home form work i'll try to re-update to V4 and verify that.

• I think the best method would be to record both, using the same PUs, guitar and riff, domsch1988.

If there's one thing the Kemper is besides awesome, fantastic-and-authentic-sounding and super-playable, it's... consistent.

Many of us have fooled ourselves over the years; you wouldn't be the first, mate!

• Is it just me or is there a significant Sound difference between V3 and V4. I can't really pinpoint it, as Updating takes a while and my ears might be fooling me. I feel that especially my JP-2C Profile doesn't sound as refined. The distortion is rougher, with less clarity to it. When i come home form work i'll try to re-update to V4 and verify that. .

Some default parameters have been tweaked. Check for example Pure Cabs.
    Also, I always do a system reset after an FW update, and it usually fixes a number of small glitches ;)

HTH

• I had one complete Audio Crash. After trying several Profiles from the RE with the Preview function, Audio Output stopped completely. The Interface would still respond, but no Audio Output. After a reboot everything was fine. Had no issues ever since.

Same here, last Sunday. Sounded great at beginning of sound check, at some point lost audio, all good after restart. Worrisome, though.

• I think the best method would be to record both, using the same PUs, guitar and riff, domsch1988.

If there's one thing the Kemper is besides awesome, fantastic-and-authentic-sounding and super-playable, it's... consistent.

Many of us have fooled…

Did that yesterday. It's non conclusive. There seems to be a difference. V4 sounds a bit tighter and clearer. But it's impossibly close. might be nothing... I just found that the JP-2C patch started sounding "bad/weird" to me on both firmwares... Maybe my ears are fatigued as i have the same with other patches... If your focusing to much things start to get weird ;)

• I went back to 3.3. I was using 4.03 but the visual lag was slightly annoying. Trying to name something was absolutely maddening, as trying to get the letter you wanted to pop up. If you wait more than a second to give the visual lag time to catch up it auto places the character before you have time to turn the knob. Since this apparently isn't addressed in 4.04 or 4.05, no point in trying them out.

I'm not quite sure what is going on with these updates. Why bother releasing even a beta if there are still plenty of issues that you know need fixed? I though the whole point of betas was "this thing is probably ready to go, but try it out and let us know if we missed a glitch here and there." Why not just release a new beta once you've fixed the known issues first and then get feedback?

• I went back to 3.3. I was using 4.03 but the visual lag was slightly annoying. Trying to name something was absolutely maddening, as trying to get the letter you wanted to pop up. If you wait more than a second to give the visual lag time to catch up it auto places the character before you have time to turn the knob. Since this apparently isn't addressed in 4.04 or 4.05, no point in trying them out.

I'm not quite sure what is going on with these updates. Why bother releasing even a beta if there are still plenty of issues that you know need fixed? I though the whole point of betas was "this thing is probably ready to go, but try it out and let us know if we missed a glitch here and there." Why not just release a new beta once you've fixed the known issues first and then get feedback?

Not really. The point of Beta's is "We have something ready we think is great. Test it and tell us what you think". Sometimes bugs like the ui latency aren't easily fixed and it hasn't been out that long. I personally think they should add some kind of "kown problems" part to the download page. Apart from that the lag is annoying but not funtionally breaking the KPA. Maybe they aren't sure what the problem is, so 4.0.4 and 4.0.5 where attempts to fix the behavior, which didn't work out. Such a complex Software isn't allways easy to troubleshoot or fix.
    Apart from that (coming from a android developer background) if some ui hiccup is bothering you, you are maybe not the target audience for Beta Software. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but if you expect everything to work as good as the last stable, the beta version is not for you :whistling: