FW 4.0 beta experiences thread.

• When I sending ##Cc 11 (0;127) , with my midi conroller , raise and fall time doesn't works.with external switch it works.

Interesting. What are you sending exactly? First #CC11=0 and then #CC11=127 in quick succession? In that case, maybe you could try simply sending 127 when you want to go to the morphed state, and 0 to go to unmorphed? Just a guess, but it might be interpreted as a really fast swipe of an expression pedal from 0 to 127 if you send both values.

• Interesting. What are you sending exactly? First #CC11=0 and then #CC11=127 in quick succession? In that case, maybe you could try simply sending 127 when you want to go to the morphed state, and 0 to go to unmorphed? Just a guess, but it might be interpreted as a really fast swipe of an expression pedal from 0 to 127 if you send both values.

I think there is missing sending every #cc from 0 to 127 or reverse.Is sending only 0 or 127.

• Ok. I was asking because in some DAWs, when you change the value of a CC, the original value is re-sent just before the new value (kind of like the two right angles of a step). But then I remembered: you're the guy using a self-made arduino foot-controller, aren't you? :D So no DAW involved.

My theory was that if the Kemper would receive such a step (#CC11=0 and then immediately #CC11=127, instead of only #CC=127), it would perhaps interpret this as if you wanted the value to be 0 first (unmorphed) and then 127 (morphed) instantaneously.

I think even a smooth sweep from an expression pedal will not send every value between 0 and 127 (because of a limited temporal resolution in MIDI), so in theory if you moved it extremely quickly you would just get the beginning and end values.

• DOES THERE EXIST A SHORT INSTRUCTION SHEET / TUTORIAL ON MORPHING??

Okay, I apologize in advance if this is a stupid or silly question, but I cannot find a single self-contained resource that adequately explains how to set up a simple expression pedal and begin working with the new Morphing features.

I sent the following message to Burkhard, alerting him to the need for an explanatory document. I am sure he will be getting back to me. However, in the meantime, I am hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this matter. To be specific, I am looking for a short, step-by-step instruction from the perspective of a KPA owner who does not (yet) own a Remote, and is just hooking up a simple expression pedal to the back of their KPA. Here below is a copy of two memos I sent to Burkhard, for reference:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been following this thread:
    FW 4.0 beta experiences thread.

There have been some questions as to how to get started using the Morphing features with an expression pedal. I have read the 4.0 Addendum, as well as the "Readme 4.0" 2-page sheet that is part of the OS 4.0 Zip file.

I may be missing something, but I cannot find a simple, step-by-step instruction on how to get started. I recently purchased an expression pedal, and I understand that I only need to connect it to one of the pedal jacks on the back of my KPA. No problem there. However, what is the next step, lol. Is there a new sub-menu, included with OS 4.0, which I need to access on the front of the KPA, in order to activate the Morphing function? If so, where is it, precisely?

I guess my question is...
    Do you have a short, step-by-step instruction on how to hook up an expression pedal and start using the new Morphing features. I don't own a Remote, yet. So, my question is based just on using an expression pedal connected directly to the back of the KPA.

Further to my previous PM/Conversation message...

I just wanted to clarify that, IMHO, the "Addendum 4.0" manual is not clear nor sufficient for basic, beginning instruction on the Morphing feature. Just as an example, here is an excerpt from pg. 2 of the Addendum:

Regardless of whether or not you own a Profiler Remote, an expression pedal set up as a parallel controller for
    Morphing is an absolute must. Connect your expression pedal to one of the SWITCH/PEDAL sockets of Profiler or
    Profiler Remote. Assign function Morph Pedal. Now, you can control Morphing with the expression pedal at any
    speed, and even rest at intermediate levels.

Where exactly in the KPA's menus/buttons is the "Assign function Morph Pedal"? This is not explained.

Then, what is the very next step in setting up an effect for morphing?

A quick, 1-page instruction providing a step-by-step example of hooking up an expression pedal, setting it up for morphing, and then proceeding to edit an effect (e.g. Green Screamer) for continuous morphing, would be extremely helpful.

Finally, if one only has an expression pedal (I don't own a Remote, yet), how does one go about "saving" an edited rig with the morphing. In other words, do I need one preset.Rig for the base sound (no morphing) and another preset/Rig for the rig that has the morphing enabled? If so, how do you recommend naming them (as each would have to have a unique title/name)?

--------------------------------------------------------

• @ Tritium: Had the same problem yesterday and Robrecht helped me out (see page 6 of this thread).
    As far as I understand morphing is only within one rig. You change parameters, not rigs.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• DOES THERE EXIST A SHORT INSTRUCTION SHEET / TUTORIAL ON MORPHING??

I've setup a quick tuto here , but it's just based on my own experience :

• pre requisite (do it once) : go to 'system' menu page 7, set expr. pedal function to 'morph pedal' & calibrate it.
    • put your exp. pedal to toe (or heel) position THEN switch to a rig you'd like to morph
    • activate the morph feature by pressing the 'rig' button once , go to page 5 and press the 'morph' soft button ( up&right ) : it will light up the morph button - you'll see an horizontal line moving while you push the exp pedal
    • change one setting like gain to 12 on toe position THEN put your exp on heel position and adjust the gain to 1 for instance (feel free to compensate for volumes changes) (I'm not sure you need both)
    • repeat for each parameter !
    • save your new morphed rig
  • Where exactly in the KPA's menus/buttons is the "Assign function Morph Pedal"? This is not explained.

How to assign functions to expression pedals is explained in the reference manual "Expression Pedal and Footswitches" on page 44. The pedal assignment can be found somewhere in the system menu.

Morphing is stored within the rig. You don't need another rig for the morphed state.
    If you put your morph pedal to toe position, you can edit the morphed state of continous parameters. When you put it back to heel, the rig in its usual configuration is used.
    By moving the pedal from heel to toe, the morphed parameters approach the values you set when you had the pedal in toe position.
    When you store the rig, morphing is also stored.

• When I sending ##Cc 11 (0;127) , with my midi conroller , raise and fall time doesn't works.with external switch it works.

Rise Time and Fall Time only apply, if a button is used to switch Morphing on/off. These could be
    - the Remote's buttons 1-5
    - another momentary switch connected to Profiler or Remote
    - Soft Button 4 "Morph" on Page 5 in Rig Menu
    - the Quick Button, if function "Morph" is assigned to it.

MIDI CC#11 is a continious controller, so this is for a pedal to control Morphing continuously. Therefor Rise Time and Fall Time don't apply.

• @Kempermaniac
    @waraba

Thank you waraba and Kempermaniac, and by extention, Robrecht. Very much appreciated. I still think Kemper GmbH will need to publish or post something official.

I am still a bit unclear as to if I need to save a "Morphed" rig as a new filename. Wouldn't you want to be able to differentiate between the "base" rig/profile, and the rig/profile that you have set up for morphing? Or is this not necessary? For example, say I have been using the expression pedal, and morphing a distorted tone...and left the expression pedal parked (cocked) half way. Then, I switch to a non-morphing rig/preset, and then immediately return to the new morphed rig/preset. Will it come back in the original default (base) state...or come back at the morphed state where I had left the expression pedal halfway parked? What if I switch to a non-morphing rig/preset, move the pedal to full toe position, and return to the new morphed rig. What state will it load up as?

I realize that I could answer these questions on my own, by testing...but in all honesty I haven't yet loaded 4.0.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
    John

EDIT -- I just saw that MtotheEikel has responded with clarification on whether I need to save as a new rig/preset. But I am still curious as to what happens during the rig switching and returning sequence I described in last paragraph (above).

• I don't know for sure but I assume it is like with other functions of the KPA where a pedal is in use: you need to do a full sweep with the pedal after changing rigs, because the KPA has no way to tell at which point of the sweep your pedal was left.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Rise Time and Fall Time only apply, if a button is used to switch Morphing on/off. These could be
    - the Remote's buttons 1-5
    - another momentary switch connected to Profiler or Remote
    - Soft Button 4 "Morph" on Page 5 in Rig Menu
    - the Quick Button, if function "Morph" is assigned to it.

MIDI CC#11 is a continious controller, so this is for a pedal to control Morphing continuously. Therefor Rise Time and Fall Time don't apply.

Ooooh, ok. Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that the Kemper would automatically distinguish between "continuous" and "on/off" use of #CC11 (essentially, between small steps between adjacent values and large jumps from 0 to 127). Not sure where I got that idea.

• Thank you for clarification.

• Morphing is stored within the rig. You don't need another rig for the morphed state.

I am still a bit unclear as to if I need to save a "Morphed" rig as a new filename. Wouldn't you want to be able to differentiate between the "base" rig/profile, and the rig/profile that you have set up for morphing? Or is this not necessary?

I've not installed 4.x yet, but it seems to me that keeping a copy of the original, unmorphed rig would be useful.

ATM there seem to be no way to delete all the morphing settings from a rig with a simple,single command: If you morph 10-20 parameters and at one stage you want to go back to the rig's original status you'll need to chase them and redux them to their original values.

The need for a solution to this has already been discussed in a couple of threads here on the forum. Meanwhile, storing a copy of the rig you want to morph seems just practical to me.

HTH

• Yes, I learnt this to my detriment. There needs to be some way to just turn off the morphed values on a rig without doing it manually. I locked a morphed reverb and moved it to some other profiles. Now I can't get rid of the damned morphed values.

• I've come across a bug....and will be sending a ticket in once I get this backed up.

It seems if I'm in a performance slot on button 1 (or any for that matter), and I click that same button to go to the morph preset, it's fine. However, if I then go directly to a different slot, it goes back to the original tone I was on without the morph and NOT the new rig I tried to go to. Not sure if that makes sense but for example...

slot 1 is a medium gain amp....step on slot 1 remote button again and that brings a delay in...great!

I then step on slot 3 which is a high gain amp. Problem is that it goes to the slot one normal rig. I actually have to go back to slot 1 and then again to slot 3 to get the high gain rig/amp that's supposed to be there. Hoping this is fixed quickly!

UPDATE: I tried a support ticket but there was no place to upload the backup? I sent in the text anyway.

• I just tried that on mine and it didn't behave like you're describing.... I'm still on the 4.0 that got released a couple of days ago as opposed to the new beta today.

• Same thing here!