FW 4.0 beta experiences thread.

• I think that an instructional video of any new feature should be made officially by kemper. It could clear up misunderstandings and be used as a promotional video too, as well as being useful in general. As more and more features are added, the kpa gets more and more complex. I think this is one of the areas kemper ignores for some reason - good quality, instructional vids please;)

• 4.0.1 is up, fixed the midiproblem

unfortunately... it's not. i could not "provoke" the green screen of death, but i still experience that after morphing a rig it still needs two steps to change rigs via midi controller (fcb1010, stock)
    the first step (program change) seems to reset the morphed rig to the initial rig

@Burkhard

• unfortunately... it's not. i could not "provoke" the green screen of death, but i still experience that after morphing a rig it still needs two steps to change rigs via midi controller (fcb1010, stock)
    the first step (program change) seems to reset the morphed rig to the initial rig

@Burkhard

I have opened a ticket with Burkhard for this problem. They are working on it.

• Just my two cents,

after reading the addendum to 4.01 most of my question were answered. I was relieved to find the old bubble-tuner (I always liked that one!) will still help me to stay in tune. This stroboscope thingy doesn't talk to me.
    Equally at ease with the morphing thing: No pedal needed, just the remote or - as I often leave the remote at home for rehearsals - a simple foot-switch will do (rise and fall time set to 4/4) and here I go. To dial in a reasonable lead sound now is mere child's play: Turn back the gain of the rig at hand e.g. TopJimi's free EVH profile (gain originally is about 6.7) let's say to 3.0. Usable rhythm sound. Click on remote's slot switch. Reset gain to original value for the "upper" part of the rig and dial in a reasonable amount of volume (Graphic EQ in # 5 or amp volume or volume) turn down delay(s) and/or reverbs, fatten the mids and go back to the "down" part of the rig by pressing remote's slot switch once more. Save performance or rig depending on wether you are in performance mode or browser mode. That's all I need for now. No pedal needed. I still have to give a closer look to the choices you have with the type button in performance mode. ?

Thank you Kemper team for all this goodness and all of it for free at that. All the musical gear I know of: No one gives you that kind of progress. Most times you have to buy doubtful "new versions" every now and then.

Sincerly

Joachim

• Rise Time and Fall Time only apply, if a button is used to switch Morphing on/off. These could be
    - the Remote's buttons 1-5
    - another momentary switch connected to Profiler or Remote
    - Soft Button 4 "Morph" on Page 5 in Rig Menu
    - the Quick Button, if function "Morph" is assigned to it.

MIDI CC#11 is a continious controller, so this is for a pedal to control Morphing continuously. Therefor Rise Time and Fall Time don't apply.

Ooooh, ok. Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that the Kemper would automatically distinguish between "continuous" and "on/off" use of #CC11 (essentially, between small steps between adjacent values and large jumps from 0 to 127). Not sure where I got that idea.

Been thinking some more about this. @Burkhard, is there any way to trigger a morph with the selected rise/fall time using midi? What if, instead of CC#11, I re-send the CC#50-54 that corresponds to the currently active performance slot (like pressing the button of the currently active slot on the remote)? I would try this myself but I won't have the opportunity until next week...

• Been thinking some more about this. @Burkhard, is there any way to trigger a morph with the selected rise/fall time using midi? What if, instead of CC#11, I re-send the CC#50-54 that corresponds to the currently active performance slot (like pressing the button of the currently active slot on the remote)? I would try this myself but I won't have the opportunity until next week...

I created a feature request for this : Morphing on/off via MIDI

If it's already possible, it would be even better.

• Been thinking some more about this. Burkhard, is there any way to trigger a morph with the selected rise/fall time using midi? What if, instead of CC#11, I re-send the CC#50-54 that corresponds to the currently active performance slot (like pressing the button of the currently active slot on the remote)? I would try this myself but I won't have the opportunity until next week...

This will work - this is the way the Uno4Kemper does it.

• Fantastic, thank you @timo! And yes, the fact that the Uno4Kemper can do it is what made me think in this direction. :)

So for anyone reading this and wondering what it's all about: there are two ways to control morphing using MIDI.

• CC#11 controls the morph state of the current rig directly. This means that any value you send is immediately reflected:

CC#11=0 > the rig immediately goes to its unmorphed state
    CC#11=127 > the rig immediately goes to its fully morphed state
    CC#11= any intermediate value > the rig goes to the corresponding intermediate state between unmorphed and fully morphed

So you should use CC#11 for precise, direct control, e.g. as output for a MIDI expression pedal.

• CC#50-54 are the control change parameters that let you switch to slots 1-5 within the current performance. Sending a non-zero value activates the corresponding slot, sending a non-zero value again toggles it between its morphed and unmorphed state using the preset Rise/Fall Time. In other words: these function exactly like the bottom row buttons on the Remote. So, for instance:

CC#50=1 > slot 1 of the current performance is selected
    CC#50=1 a second time > slot 1 of the current performance morphs to its morphed state over the preset Rise Time
    CC#50=1 a third time > slot 1 of the current performance morphs back to its unmorphed state over the preset Fall Time
    etc.

@MirekGR10, this second method is what you were also looking for, I think!

• QUOTE FROM VIBRACROCE that I'm too technically stupid to quote properly due to a previous multi quote :) :-

Not sure I follow you here Gary: you can have a perfectly set amp and yet it will sound different if you use a different guitar than the one used for tweaking it. Also, what when you clean the tone through your guitar pot? What when you strum harder or softer? Those are all events that, while changing the input signal, will change the amp's response.
    I guess what I am saying is that a sweet spot is always in relation with a whole rig (player, fingers, pick, strings, PUs, cable, amp, cab) and should not be limited to an amp's settings.
    Does this make sense?

Hi Viabcroce,

What I'm getting at is the perceived mindset of commercial profiles..... I understand your thinking that the 'sweet spot' is a combination of many things which include the guitar you're using and the pickups..... When a profiler makes a profile, the guitar is not relevant to the profile BUT..... it is in a way because the guy making it will tweak the amplifier to sound great with the guitar he is using and then will press the profile button to continue. For this reason, it's a sweet spot that was tweaked to the original guitar. I think it's why I've had such a good hit-rate with the MBritt profiles. He uses P90's on his main profile guitar and my two most-used guitars are a Tokai with P90's and a PRS with vintage style (low output) PAF. Both guitars seem to really like what he does with no tweaking needed for my taste.

What I think the mindset here is about? When you've done that profile, the base profile is 'pure'. Of course, it probably isn't because the guy making it may have tweaked clarity / sag etc under the bonnet! But if we forget that? It is 'pure' at that point and I think people like this...... They must do otherwise why do so many pay for profiles that are as accurate as possible?

Because the gain and EQ on the Kemper front panel are not exact representations of the original amp, that is why profiles are done at many points with the amp..... That way, you'll have captured something that works at a particular gain but also many of the profilers will do 2-3 profiles at the same gain but with differing EQ so as you will find one that is pretty much perfect with YOUR guitar. I quite accept that everything changes when you roll back the volume etc.

But I think it's the mindset that the original profile is true, accurate and 'as intended' if you don't tweak the gain etc. If you tweak the gain, it will still sound great (may even sound better) but it is no longer a true representation of the original amplifier as the profiler intended. If you could morph between a profile of an AC30 when the profile was made at a gain of 4 and a profile of the same amp where the gain was made at 6? That would truly be like turning up the gain on the original amp. When you morph the gain on a preset here? It's no longer an exact recreation. That doesn't mean it cannot sound wonderful - with your individual guitar and what you are doing? Moving away from reality in a subtle (or not so subtle) way might make the pure, accurate profile much, much better.

This is not me being anti-morph - I absolutely love it. This is me trying to understand / clarify what I believe some folks are getting at here :) This all makes perfect sense with the Virus heritage of Kemper. On a synth, people have been used to sound shaping for years and anything goes. Yes, you want reality sometimes (a perfect piano sample for instance) but sometimes you want a subtle alteration to that piano or to really mess it up. On a guitar? We've all been chasing the pure vintage tone for years and anything that deviates from that can be seen as a negative. Morphing is adding a great deal of flexibility and I am very glad for it - you can go pure or not so pure. If, in the future, it were ever possible to morph between two profiles then that would be something that would entirely satisfy the purity angle too as well as allowing for some even more cool stuff than we can do right now but, with what has been given here for free, I'm a happy guy. If this is 'it', apart from the promised delays / reverbs, I personally am more than happy :)

• Because the gain and EQ on the Kemper front panel are not exact representations of the original amp, that is why profiles are done at many points with the amp..... That way, you'll have captured something that works at a particular gain but also many of the profilers will do 2-3 profiles at the same gain but with differing EQ so as you will find one that is pretty much perfect with YOUR guitar. I quite accept that everything changes when you roll back the volume etc.

Take 2 profiles of the same amp(channel) with the same cab+mic and try to make them sound alike. I made the experience that it works pretty well with some profiles. I did that with some MBritt profiles and I came to the conclusion that you don't always need 3 profiles of the same 1channel amp with different gain /eq settings.
    I think that people don't tweak very much and use different profiles instead (so do I in many cases).
    However tweaking like you described works very well and different profilers' sweet spots can be reached I many cases.
    Of course this doesn't apply to profiles with different cab or mic (position) but that's something you can't achieve by just turning knobs on a tube amp either.

• It would be nice to sometimes introduce to these "purists" multi-rig-morphing and see if they could actually tell when they're morphing to clean profile of the same physical amp... and would the results be better than simply cleaning distorted profile the way we're doing now :) But nevertheless, I see your point Gary. It's the mindset.

I personally tweak profiles a lot and don't give a damn if a profile is "pure" or actually sound like an actual physical amp. If it sounds good then it's good.

• It would be nice to sometimes introduce to these "purists" multi-rig-morphing and see if they could actually tell when they're morphing to clean profile of the same physical amp... and would the results be better than simply cleaning distorted profile the way we're doing now :) But nevertheless, I see your point Gary. It's the mindset.

I personally tweak profiles a lot and don't give a damn if a profile is "pure" or actually sound like an actual physical amp. If it sounds good then it's good.

I have to confess that I haven't really been a tweaker..... I think it's been one of *the* nicest things on the Kemper - Fire up a decent profile and it sounds great. Not what you had in mind? Change the profile rather than turn the knobs.

I think Morphing is teaching me that I've been missing out on a lot of very cool stuff because of the way I've used the Kemper till now. As mentioned earlier, I certainly wanted the ability to tweak delays / modulation with an exp pedal but gain? Well, I'm still learning but I like what I'm doing so far.

I haven't gigged in 3 years now but it sounds like the band I was in is getting back together for an event. Last time I gigged it was with my pedal board that had a couple of Strymon pedals and a bunch of home-made stomp boxes. One of the covers we used to do was 'Kids in America' by Kim Wilde. In the last little closing bit, I used to use an exp pedal with the Stymons which, as I gradually dipped it, made the flanger deeper, added some delay mix and also turned up the signal going to the amp so as to overdrive it more. I haven't programmed the performance on here yet but I am looking forward to it. Any tricks I can do that mask my playing are most welcome ;)

• Well, when a pro plays live I assume he's using his "perfect spot". So what when/if he cleans it through the guitar volume? Wouldn't this mean he's giving his perfect tone up? And what the difference would be if you perform the same action through morphing?
    I mean that a profile is more versatile than just a snapshot of a great sound, just like a real amp when you use your guitar's volume, or tone, knob, or when you trigger a boost via the amp's pedal.
    my point is that not necessarily a great profile is limited to just ine setting, exactly like a great amp.

PS: Gary, just select the text you want to quote ;)

• I have to confess that I haven't really been a tweaker..... I think it's been one of *the* nicest things on the Kemper - Fire up a decent profile and it sounds great. Not what you had in mind? Change the profile rather than turn the knobs.

I think Morphing is teaching me that I've been missing out on a lot of very cool stuff because of the way I've used the Kemper till now. As mentioned earlier, I certainly wanted the ability to tweak delays / modulation with an exp pedal but gain? Well, I'm still learning but I like what I'm doing so far.

I haven't gigged in 3 years now but it sounds like the band I was in is getting back together for an event. Last time I gigged it was with my pedal board that had a couple of Strymon pedals and a bunch of home-made stomp boxes. One of the covers we used to do was 'Kids in America' by Kim Wilde. In the last little closing bit, I used to use an exp pedal with the Stymons which, as I gradually dipped it, made the flanger deeper, added some delay mix and also turned up the signal going to the amp so as to overdrive it more. I haven't programmed the performance on here yet but I am looking forward to it. Any tricks I can do that mask my playing are most welcome ;)

Well the great thing about Kemper is that its very easy to tweak :) Not too many parameters. I have never used Kemper's more complex competitors so I guess I don't know anything about tweaking :D But I tend to tweak a little every single profile, there's almost always something that I want to change.... just a bit. It doesn't usually take many seconds. But my point was that this "authenticity" of a profile isn't important to me :)

Those things you did with your Strymons is something I have never had an opportunity to do due to simplicity of my gear before Kemper - I'm super excited :) BTW I'm desperately gassing BigSky at the moment... hopefully I get past it and have patience to wait for Kemper's delays and reverbs ^^

• Love it all,, but I am getting a lag time when switching between any rigs,takes half a sec to switch, tried restart, same thing,,It used to switch instantly,,
    anyone else?
    Thanks all

• Well the great thing about Kemper is that its very easy to tweak Not too many parameters. I have never used Kemper's more complex competitors so I guess I don't know anything about tweaking

This is exactly why I got rid of my AxeFX after only a month and got the Kemper... hated the complexity and huge learning curve involved. Hurray for Kemper's simplicity!

Gary ô¿ô

• . Morphing is adding a great deal of flexibility and I am very glad for it - you can go pure or not so pure. If, in the future, it were ever possible to morph between two profiles then that would be something that would entirely satisfy the purity angle too as well as allowing for some even more cool stuff than we can do right now but, with what has been given here for free, I'm a happy guy. If this is 'it', apart from the promised delays / reverbs, I personally am more than happy :)

Hi Gary,

What if you simply stay out of the Stack menus? Say you wanted to be able to morph gain. Would using a green scream stompbox for morphing still qualify for maintaining the profiled amp's purity standards? :D