First time connecting to a PA

• I'm about to try my kemper profiler live for the first time in a venue with a console/pa system. My kemper is not near the console, I estimate its about 10 meters/ 36 feet away. Can anyone recommend any particual kind of cable? XLR or 1/4 Plug any particular brand or attribute?
    Thanks.

• I'm about to try my kemper profiler live for the first time in a venue with a console/pa system. My kemper is not near the console, I estimate its about 10 meters/ 36 feet away. Can anyone recommend any particual kind of cable? XLR or 1/4 Plug any particular brand or attribute?
    Thanks.

You can use both type of plugs. The Kemper main output serves both types.
    It's a line-pegel signal. So you can use every normal audio cable.

Thanks.

It's odd that the PA would be that far away with no snake to plug into. But if you're connecting to anything more than 10 feet away, you should definitely try to use balanced cables (XLR).

Generally speaking, especially with unbalanced guitar cables, you want to keep your cable lengths as short as possible to reduce the amount of noise they may pick up. Your cables can often act like antennas picking up noise or other sources of interference. Using balanced cables will cut that noise down quite a bit. If balanced cables aren't an option for whatever reason, and you need to use long guitar cables, you may want to be ready to look into other alternatives in reducing hum or noise that you might run into (hum eliminators). They're great to have on hand just in case you run into a situation where you have a lot of noise or ground hum. That said, the KPA has a ground lift switch on it that might help out if you run into these issues too. Of course, the odds of running into this noise or hum can change based on a number of factors (venue, outlets, electrical quality of the wiring in the venue, sources of interference surrounding you like certain kinds of lights, computers, etc.).

As @Booyah metioned above, you don't need to invest in a top of the line cable. But I wouldn't necessarily go for the cheapest either.

Edited once, last by OhG ().

• Use XLR from the main outputs. I'll work with any PA-system. The signal is line-level (hot) so you should go into Output-page2/6 and set MainVolume to -25dB to make your soundman happy.

My checklist that works with any PA (console or stagebox) I've come across is:

• MainVolume = -25dB (Output page2/6) to please the soundman (avoid clipping in mic-preamps)
    • Disconnect main outputs from master-volume (output page2/6) so that I can mess about with the master to set monitor level without affecting the signal going to the mixer.
    • Set MainOutput to MasterMono or MasterStereo (output page1/6) depending on the connection(s) to the PA.
  • Agreed. Every venue I have played at (since owning the Kemper) has supplied an XLR (or XLR connected to their own snake) for me. I wonder if I would ever actually need a 50' XLR but I do know and respect Booyah has good reason for keeping that length handy... I usually carry a 15' +/- out of habit but as of yet, have never been required to use it. YMMV

• I do not know the abbreviation "TWO" plugs.
    I would prefer XLR cables if possible - OhG explained it very good.
    For 10 m I would not expect so much hum.

Quote: from Basic Manual
    This is your stereo MAIN OUT. Use these outputs to connect to a mixing desk in a recording studio, or to the
    front-of-house mixer in a live situation. These outputs deliver the entire Rig: Amp, Cabinet, and all Effects. You
    have a choice of XLR (balanced) or quarter-inch TS-jacks (unbalanced). The XLR outputs are protected against
    48V phantom power fed by a mixing desk. However, you should avoid feeding phantom power into the Profiler if
    you want the best audio quality. Like all inputs and outputs, it offers a GROUND LIFT to prevent a hum loop.

• It would be wise to have XLR > 1/4 but more for the reason that many more budget desks now use combi ins which automatically engage the mic pre when an XLR is plugged in. The lone level signal from the KPA is so hot that it is almost impossible to get a decent sound on some with an XLR connection and 1/4 > 1/4 is unbalanced.

You can just use a very short xlr to 1/4 cable or even just an adapter rather than buy and carry a 20’ cable. One f the great things about XLR cables is that you can chain them together to make longer cables when needed so rather than carry a 50’ cable just in case you ever need it you can can carry 2 x 25’ which you might use all the time and chain them together for that once in lifetime situation where you need that 50 footer.

• Thanks for that. Couldn't i just lower the main out if it's so hot? I thought xlr to xlr was better because it's balanced. I'll get some xlr to quarter inches then. Thanks for the help.

• Thanks for that. Couldn't i just lower the main out if it's so hot? I thought xlr to xlr was better because it's balanced. I'll get some xlr to quarter inches then. Thanks for the help.

yes but you need to lower it so far its almost off so it can get difficult to get any precision when doing so.

XLR > 1/4 TRS is also balanced if the input on the mixer accepts balanced 1/4” signals. XLR to TS would be unbalanced though.

• Personally I use XLR mainly because most venues run multicores to stage and are expecting XLR's and will offer you an xlr to plug in ( a la most bass amps as well).

If you present a TS cable, they often then want/put a DI box to convert.

I also think that many venues are now used to direct connections and should account for mic pre amps.

I had a similar discussion with a friend with a Helix who was concerned about Phantom power but I've never had this problem either.

I take the point on stereo channels with 2 TS cables but most venues also have enough channels for 2 XLR feeds - I think it would create more issues presenting TS cables ( I could be wrong).

• Thanks a lot, i just want to get it right.
    I wondered whether to go female xlr from kemper to trs jack, or xlr female to ts jack but still don't know what's optimum for all situations. I play smaller venues and cheaper P.A systems, sometimes we only have our own or if im depping, who knows, so i just want to cover all bases.
    Really appreciate everyones help, i doubt it will be disastrous whatever i do but understanding the options helps. Like i take it i should be using two trs if i want the stereo effects to behave right? (or two xlrs)
    I don't even know how to use a pa and whether to pan etc.

I dunno, lol im just a lowly guitarist who has a lot of knowledge about everything else but when it comes to P.As and leads and ts and trs i am a bit clueless. Really appreciate the replies though, thanks so much!

• yes but you need to lower it so far its almost off so it can get difficult to get any precision when doing so.

XLR > 1/4 TRS is also balanced if the input on the mixer accepts balanced 1/4” signals. XLR to TS would be unbalanced though.

what would happen if it didn't accept them though and i used xlr to 1/4? would that damage the sound or just be like using a ts or something? Seems like that might be the smartest option. Would that mean i wouldn't have the crazy hot xlr line level then?