Buying a secondhand Kemper and warranty

• Be careful as I bought a power head Secondhand and I even have the original invoice showing it was bought from andertons and is still under warranty , had a problem with screen and the cover touching and causing like a thumbprint underneath the screen and a small peice a debris under the plastic or glass cover. Rang andertons and they don't want to know as I'm not orignal purchaser spoke to Kemper and they are willing to repair it but only if I pay to ship it which to insure it for its value and ship itnto Germany is very expensive . What a load of rubbish this warranty is
    if it's not transferable

• Kemper is willing to fix it for free. That sounds like a warranty repair to me.

The shipping-payment issue is the retailer's call, IMHO; I've been in this sort of situation many times before. Sometimes I've been able to organise repairs out-of-warranty (with, say, wholesalers), and in these cases, even 'though I was the original purchaser, no stores have offered to pay for shipping, which makes sense as their "contract" is with the original buyer for the duration of the warranty.

I see parallells with your situation; nobody's denying you the right to warranty repair - you're just not getting "silver service", which IMHO is understandable as the store is no doublt in its opinion under no obligation to you, having never dealt with you (in terms of the history of this acquisition).

Hate to be the bringer of bad tidings, mate, but if you look at it from the store's POV, I think you might at least find it understandable. IOW, it'd be an expense paid to someone who didn't even walk through their doors to buy the unit, and from that perspective, it'd make little business sense to comply. I mean, where would it end? How many s/h-sale repairs could a bricks-and-mortar store afford to pay transit for?

• Yeah I think you're right on that one Nicky. Sorry mate :(

• When I bought it from the seller they said the warranty is transferable Kemper say this but they are saying to do the repair that you need to send it back to the dealer as they only do warranty repairs through the dealer that supplied it . So if the dealer won't do it be issue you are not the original purchaser the warranty isn't worth nothing and in the end no matter who bought the Kemper it was a faulty unit supplied by that dealer

• My experience with thomann (they made garanties for my Kemper) is that the garantie follows the device not the first buyer.

Not entirely true.
    I once sold a Vox AC 30 (I was the original buyer at Thomann). The second hand buyer later had an issue with the amp which had to be serviced under warranty at Thomann.
    Thomann accepted to do it as a gesture of goodwill but it was under my name, (i.e. the second hand buyer contacted me and I 'officially' demanded the sevice).
    Thomann is great.

• Did you contact support already?

Exactly. Rather than attempt to publicly address this issue in two separate forum threads, may I suggest contacting Kemper Support directly and letting them know about the issue you are experiencing? Maybe there is something they can do about contacting Anderson's for you.

As far as the warranty goes, a three year transferable warranty isn't rubbish in my eyes. The warranty following the device and not the original owner speaks to Kemper's willingness to stand by their products. Transferable warranties are very rare in the musical instrument industry, at least to my knowledge. I know Mesa Boogie does it, but I can't think of too many others.

I've had a lot of amps repaired under warranty in the past 20 years. In all but one case I had to pay for shipping back to the manufacturer. I agree it can be a bitter pill to swallow but it should still be cheaper than replacing the unit entirely.

Good luck!

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• Yeah I think you're right on that one Nicky. Sorry mate :(

The thoughts I shared were meant for jester, as he was the one with the "problem", so I'm having difficulty understanding why you're saying sorry, Freisegler.

What have you done wrong? Please help me out here bud; I feel bad that you said sorry to me and I surely don't deserve it... I think.

• The thoughts I shared were meant for jester, as he was the one with the "problem", so I'm having difficulty understanding why you're saying sorry, Freisegler.

What have you done wrong? Please help me out here bud; I feel bad that you said sorry to me and I surely don't deserve it... I think.

"Sorry mate", I meant for jester. @jester22 and Nicky please excuse any misunderstandings.

• Kemper transfers the warranty, but does not cover return costs. Whether the store itself transfers the warranty surely depends on the store and your country's laws. Over here there's a minimum of two years warranty for electronic equipment, and it follows the receipt, not the owner. The store HAS to accept and fix/replace under this period as long as a receipt is provided. Kemper will also transfer the warranty, for three years, as long as it's bought directly from them or an authorised dealer. Stores does not cover return costs (unless otherwise stated), and neither does Kemper, I'd guess.

• Not entirely true.
    I once sold a Vox AC 30 (I was the original buyer at Thomann). The second hand buyer later had an issue with the amp which had to be serviced under warranty at Thomann.
    Thomann accepted to do it as a gesture of goodwill but it was under my name, (i.e. the second hand buyer contacted me and I 'officially' demanded the sevice).
    Thomann is great.

Well, I sold once a Amp, and I made the contact to Thomann because in original bill was mentioned my name and the seller was unexprienced with online trade. (He is in my age ;) )
    There was no objection or comment that it is only by goodwill.
    Thats the basic of my opinion. The commercial condition I never read carefull, but it could be there is a item about that.

• "Sorry mate", I meant for jester. @jester22 and Nicky please excuse any misunderstandings.

Ha ha ha! You're excused, Freisegler! :D

I've already spoken to Kemper and they are contacting andertons to try and sort it out

They don't have to do this AFAIK. That's service for you, eh?

• Didn't know this, excellent service! I bought my unit second handed and have been a bit worried what would happen if something went wrong... shipping is just a little problem imho.

When I buy something second handed I am aware that if something goes wrong I may be in trouble.

There're mind easing news here :)