96khz 24bit profiling

• 96khz 24bit profiling please.

Borrowed a kemper for several weeks. Didn't get on with the hifi sound for live 'in the room' use but, for tracking in a studio at 44.1khz is just about passable.

Would invest in one once the mk2 comes out with 96khz 24bit profiles as even though I'm downsampling to 44.1khz in final mix it always sounds better with real amps or an axe fx recorded at 96khz.

For amp in the room sound or running into an external poweramp cab 96khz is a must, otherwise it feels too compressed almost like an mp3 version of a real amp.

Just my take.

• Guitar amps, which barely reaches 10kHz on rare occasions, somehow needs 96k sampling to sound "uncompressed"? If electric guitars sound better to you recorded at 96k, it has zilch to do with the Kemper. Go analog out if you feel your system sounds best at 96k 8)

Edited once, last by Trazan ().

• Did you turn on pure cabinet?

• Well, until they come up with that "Pro-Kemper" you can still use kemper's analog outs. They might even sound more analog, who in the room knows? Just make sure not to use those old consumer digital s/pdif stuff at the back of your Kemper ;)

Guitar amps, which barely reaches 10kHz on rare occasions

Correct. Speaker cabinet frequency response dips after around 9khz.

The space in which those frequencies range and are heard affects the timbre of the sound not the actual frequency of notes played. The kemper covers note frequencies adequately. Its the physical space around the audible range that effects timbre I notice missing. Your ears don't just hear they feel space giving a wider image in audible feel.

Kemper does the job. Captures EQ and frequency range satisfactory. But it does't do the job a a real amp or a digital model with higher frequency range. It feels hifi in the room or through a real poweramp.

Go analog out if you feel your system sounds best at 96k]

As far as i'm aware it's analogue outputs at 44.1khz. Pointless

Michael Wagener would be pleased to know that you almost approve of his use of Kemper for studio recording.

Well he is getting on a bit now and i'm sure his ears aren't what they used to be :thumbup:

From my understanding the internal sample rate of the audio processing is MUCH higher than 44k and down sampled to 44k]

Meaningless if what actually passes through the op amps isn't higher.

• monotone, big producers like Andy Sneap have used Kemper analog connection for albums, nobody can tell its kemper.
    Have you conducted and passed proper blind tests to verify your conclusions?
    There is a reson that 44.1 khz have stood the test of time and is still the most used by pros making music.
    Have you done direct amp profiles without mic and played them through a guitar cab?
    In my signature there's a link to hundreds of bands and producers using kempers on albums and live, have a listen to what many professionals produce.
    There's also some new feature additions since your previous asked questions in this thread
    https://www.kemper-amps.com/fo…ead/18505-Can-the-Kemper/?

• The space in which those frequencies range and are heard affects the timbre of the sound not the actual frequency of notes played. The kemper covers note frequencies adequately. Its the physical space around the audible range that effects timbre I notice missing. Your ears don't just hear they feel space giving a wider image in audible feel.

Say what...? I believe we reside in different realities :D

Have you conducted and passed proper blind tests to verify your conclusions?

Yes. There are artefacts that once you know what you are looking for you will notice. The kemper matches Eq and frequency response and veiled in a metal guitar scenario genre type mix the difference is inaudible or not exempt from a workaround. I was hoping the kempers merits extend beyond that application.

There is a reson that 44.1 khz have stood the test of time and is still the most used by pros making music.]

There is a growing number of high profile artists and a push the industry for the adoption of high resolution audio. Does't leave the kemper terribly future proof when it does become standard soon.

In my signature there's a link to hundreds of bands and producers using kempers on albums and live, have a listen to what many professionals produce.

Convenience never rules over audio fidelity for any real sound engineer in my opinion. Its my profession and art after all. Even more so in a studio.

In 50 years time who will look back and actually care if making an a song or album was more convenient than if the best possible quality was put into into the final production recording.

I guess i'm just an analogue guy in a digital world.

• The space in which those frequencies range and are heard affects the timbre of the sound not the actual frequency of notes played. The kemper covers note frequencies adequately. Its the physical space around the audible range that effects timbre I notice missing. Your ears don't just hear they feel space giving a wider image in audible feel.

What do you mean? I'm having trouble understanding this...

• Are you saying that you "feel" frequencies higher than 20 kHz? You certainly can't hear them! You say you're an audio engineer, but how's your Nyquist theory? :D

"Analogue outputs at 44.1"? You do know the meaning of analogue, right? Anyway, as confused as your statement was, you'll be pleased to know that the KPA operates at a sample rate of over 700 kHz internally, so don't worry about your 44.1 analogue outs! :D

Edited 2 times, last by sambrox ().

"Analogue outputs at 44.1"? You do know the meaning of analogue, right? Anyway, as confused as your statement was, you'll be pleased to know that the KPA operates at a sample rate of over 700 kHz internally, so don't worry about your 44.1 analogue outs! ]

So the outputs of any digital amplifier will only operate at the set frequency range of the D/A converters software and op amps....analogue isn't some magical term to describe maximum fidelity its just non quantised audio as opposed to digital.

Bottom line is guitars sound better tracked at 96khz. Maybe its a lack of odd or even order harmonics accuracy in the algorithm of the kemper.

• So the outputs of any digital amplifier will only operate at the set frequency range of the D/A converters software and op amps....analogue isn't some magical term to describe maximum fidelity its just non quantised audio as opposed to digital.

Bottom line is guitars sound better tracked at 96khz. Maybe its a lack of odd or even order harmonics accuracy in the algorithm of the kemper.

You keep mentioning frequency range. Pray tell, what is the frequency range of 44.1 kHz digital audio in comparison to the theoretical maximum range of human hearing (adults have reduced range compared to children)? And what do you think the D/A converter is converting from and to, knowing that the tube emulation algorithm in the Kemper is running at over 700 kHz?

Are you sure you just don't want to like the Kemper (confirmation bias is a very real thing)? And what profiles were you using in your studio, or if you made your own, what was your chain? It's very easy to bash something because "it doesn't sound right to you", but you won't be able to back it up with sketchy pseudo science.

Bottom line is guitars sound better tracked at 96khz.

I'd like to hear the evidence that backs up that statement.