another one goes....

• MM, one of the most moving posts on this forum and it was from the resident joker?

Well, we have known for long that behind the mask of the clown there is a thoughtful man and may I say I often sense some hidden sadness at 2nd glance ...
    Thank you for that post, @Monkey_Man.

• There's no fooling you, Ingy! Thanks for the empathy, mate. ;)

MM, one of the most moving posts on this forum and it was from the resident joker?

I've no doubt the sense of humour's a coping mechanism, Netheravon; it's been the thing I "invented" to help me through when I was about 3 years old, and thank God I've not lost it. Well, some would argue I never had it in the first place, but as you'd know, it's all about whether or not one can distract one's self sufficiently in times of hardship, and not how skilled one is at entertaining a room, unless that's one's profession of course...

Thankfully for me, you guys have been a very-kind, easy room!

• Indeed dear @Monkey_Man,thank you so much.

I did not want to write anything about Prince death in any forum or wanted to talk about it since I read the news.I am to shocked and feel like I lost my elder brother.So..no "RIP" and just some nice words from me.Not today.Not tomorrow.I can feel what you say about Prince (and Micheal too)..when I had my "darkest hours" it was the ballads and slow songs of these two who brought me through many difficult nights.I love prince since I heard him for the very first time.I can feel what you say about the other guys being into rock/hardrock while closing their eyes for anything else.I had the same "difficult time" with this issue.Everyone around me was into Malmsteen and Van Halen while I searched for some guys in my age to play purple rain and lets go crazy..but I had to wait untill the late 90s when finally many afro-american musicians came to europe and to my place (germany/netherlands) to have some guys around me open enough for EVERYTHING..because prince teaches us exactly this.Being just yourself,adoring your "heroes",learning from all,playing everything your heart is aching for with no compromise..because music is just to beautiful for anything else.It is nice to read that I am not the only one who is crying for this lad.But no RIP for my elder brother,for my teacher...This is just not enough.Not for me.I will just say:I wish you heaven brother.

• Most folk never really heard or watched Prince play guitar (unless you went to one of his concerts) because his stuff was removed from Youtube, that's why the "When my guitar gently weeps" solo video became so popular..."wow, Prince can actually play guitar".

Oh boy!!!, can he play guitar, he was a brilliant guitarist.
    Good news is Youtube is now being flooded with new Prince videos.

It's a tragic loss to the music world.

Talk about being in control of your instrument and the audience.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I never knew he was such good guitarist. I knew his name, but for all this years haven't seen much videos (even when MTV was about music, then nothing really on YouTube..), never been to concert. Sad. He seemed to be just cool dude.

• Prince was a musical genius using the full musical spectrum.Since we talking here about his guitar style..he was not only "hendrix & santana" as most critics said back in time but he had so many influences he was always able "to hide" through his very personal approach to them.Listen to "Peach" and you will hear Billy Gibbons/ZZTop in the solos or "Computer Blue"(or doves cry for this matter) and you will hear (in the instrumental parts in the end of the song) some SAGA doing these guitar/keyboards-runs..he was obsessed with music..with all kinds of (good) music and you can hear this in all of his songs and ofcourse in his guitar style.

• Prince was a musical genius using the full musical spectrum.Since we talking here about his guitar style..he was not only "hendrix & santana" as most critics said back in time but he had so many influences he was always able "to hide" through his very personal approach to them.Listen to "Peach" and you will hear Billy Gibbons/ZZTop in the solos or "Computer Blue"(or doves cry for this matter) and you will hear (in the instrumental parts in the end of the song) some SAGA doing these guitar/keyboards-runs..he was obsessed with music..with all kinds of (good) music and you can hear this in all of his songs and ofcourse in his guitar style.

Check out what Billy Gibbons had to say about Prince's guitar playing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com…he-sensational-guitarist/

• another cool clip with Hendrix influence & killer performance

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• @Guitartone
    Thanks for this link dude..never heard this "honky tonk"-version before,it rocks!

Prince was a master of "rocking the blues" with major/mixolydian-modes..in so many songs of his from his very early albums till his latest.Most known is surely "You got the look" but there are so many jewels when it comes to prince teaching how to play the blues and sure he had heard of Jeff Beck (listen to morning papers" which is a nice "cover" of the cover Jeff Beck & Rod Stewart did to Mayfields "People Get Ready" ;) ).

Prince did many funky "mixo-bluesrock"-stuff.Just listen to "Zannalee" or "Baby knows"...just two examples..

• 3:27 'til the end =O

External Content youtu.be

I remember this performance. I don't think many could have played it much better.
    But I do remember feeling left a bit turned off especially at the end.

Showboater or showman?

In this performance, I say hands down the latter. He definitely was a showman on his own. Which is fine.

But you have all this great talent on this stage playing professionally and more modestly.
    And remember, this was a tribute. Not one of Princes shows. Prince comes out and wants all of the attention.
    He could have got my attention and appreciation just with his skills easily.

The throwing of the guitar and walking off just totaly ruined it for me. Who was this show all about anyway?

Although I could appreciate his talent with a guitar, unfortunately this is how I am left remembering
    him.

• My overall impression is still favorable....mainly because of his humanitarian actions and expecting nothing in return.

You could ignore his musical contributions and he would still be a great human being.

.....except for the odd occasion when ego totally consumed him.

http://www.spin.com/2013/03/pr…eone-elses-guitar-fallon/

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• I hear ear you and can understand what you say.
    It is more of a personal issue with me.
    I have never never responded well toward big egos.

If he would have just just played the tune and ended it with a Chesher cat grin, showing that he nailed it, that would have been better understood and classy.

After this show there was a bit of talk about his performance. Both the good and the bad.

Either way, RIP

• <p>

</p>

This was the night Prince himself was being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...the other guys on the stage in that performance were not being inducted.

Prince, Bob Segar, George Harrison, Jackson Browne, The Dells, ZZ Top, Traffic and George Harrison were being inducted...so in that Performance Prince was supposed to be the star of the show.

Prince's nine piece band played "Let's Go Crazy", "Sign of the Times" and "Kiss" before the "While my guitar gently weeps" performance.

• @Inthrutheout

Imho we should just judge the musician.Neither me or you knew Prince or Micheal Jackson or knows Madonna or Mick Jagger.The pressure on this level in music buisness must be more than just intense.

I heard a lot of prince saying things I scratched my head askig myself if he is serious or just joking (like his chemtrails-comments and some other things) but then again..let us just judge and study the musician and this is a lots of work to do.

• I cant see a better guitar player on the stage and believe me, when he throws his guitar there was always a catcher in front or behind him. I have seen it several times live. It was part of the shows.

Cheers
    Frank