less latency (i compared the Kemper, the Axe FX and the Line6 Helix)

• :)
    Latency of KPA = AD latency + DSP latency + D/A Latency
    If average latency of KPA is around 5ms and knowing that AD/DA takes 0.5ms+0.5ms, then DPS latency is around 4ms.

• So what does this mean in real terms? We just have to respond differently to the Kemper - a biofeedback issue? Or do we really notice this wait time?

It means that depending on your setup (i.e. any latency induced downstream from the kemper) and your latency sensitivity, you might get thrown off a bit. I don't have any problems, and I think most people don't.

If you are particularly latency sensitive, you might want to use spdif for recording (likely very low effect overall, though), and a non-dsp monitor for live/practice/regular playing. So basically, if you are especially latency-sensitive, reduce the latency coming from other sources that you CAN do anything about. Perhaps including standing closer to the cab (as the speed of sound also affects "latency"):-)

Luckily, I have no issues whatsoever :)

• Got the 3,5 ms in performane mode. I don't think theres a difference between the modes?!
    But why we have this 1,5 ms difference?
    Do you have some stomps active in your rig?
    Pure cab off, no stomps only reverb here.
    Thx.

No 5ms was in browser mode ,no effects, analog in and out.
    That is not bad!

• I regularly record straight into a huge, nearly finished project while monitoring through my DAW, with dozens of other tracks running and all kinds of real-time processing going on on all of them, including the one being recorded and the master bus (not the best practice I guess, but I'm lazy ok?), and honestly, I rarely notice any latency. Granted, my studio pc is a bit of a monster, with two Xeon processors...

For really tight, fast, rhythmic, timing-critical takes I sometimes switch my interface to direct monitoring, so I only get the latency from my Kemper, and then for me it's just not there at all. It's just like playing a real amp.

It's probably something some people are more sensitive to than others, but when you're counting in single-digit milliseconds I don't think it will ever be a huge deal. Your hands/ears biofeedback system is flexible enough to deal with it without you even noticing.

• one explanation would be that @Bommel for some reason used the PROFILER mode (as opposed to BROWSER or PERFORM modes).
    The profiling mode does have a higher latency.

hmmm i use the browsermode most of the time ... but good to know! :)

• this latency thing bugs me for a while now, i wasn't quiet sure about it but it makes sense ... last year i played on some bigger stages with my wireless system (3.9 ms) and + 3ms from the kemper and being far away from the sound this adds up ... it think ... and i remember one stage were the mixer had a digital mixer and a also digital stagebox ... does anybody know if these stageboxes also have latency, they are just connected by a thicker network cable so yeah...

• A typical grand piano has a "latency" of up to 5mS. This is the time it takes for the hammer to fly into the strings after being released by the escapement.

Unbearable!!! I will go right now on the ''Steinway'' forum and ask for reducing this... :rolleyes:

PS: Now I understand why I can't play Rachmaninov accurately...

• this latency thing bugs me for a while now, i wasn't quiet sure about it but it makes sense ... last year i played on some bigger stages with my wireless system (3.9 ms) and + 3ms from the kemper and being far away from the sound this adds up ... it think ... and i remember one stage were the mixer had a digital mixer and a also digital stagebox ... does anybody know if these stageboxes also have latency, they are just connected by a thicker network cable so yeah...

Any digital console, with or without a digital snake adds probably a minimum of 3ms to your signal path, yes.

• I re checked with more level and I have 3ms across the board.
    No effects. Pure cab made no difference. Not sure why I had a different reading earlier.
    But its 3ms solid
    If you feel 3ms you are a rare one.

• In the real world?

Sound travels 5.75 feet in 5ms. Anyone who is truly bothered by 5ms latency would not be able to perform with other musicians live, unless they were always standing in the middle of a stage that was less than nine feet wide ( that would STILL be as much as 4ms latency).

I am right there with you ;)

Additionally, I don't know about you guys, but with my IEM's in (see my avatar), I can't hear the notes I pick from the actual noise of the string, so there is no way for my "brain" to get any sense of delay there.

The human sense of touch is not sensitive enough to determine a 5mSec delay (using 2 points that contact the skin 5 mSec apart), and the brain certainly can't rectify a sound to touch delay of 5mSec.

What I am saying (again), is there is physically no way for a human to "feel" a 5mSec delay from a guitar processor (I don't care how fast you pick).

It is possible for a small portion of the human population to "hear" a delay of 5mSec under very isolated lab conditions (there are studies on this). While not everyone uses IEM's live as I do (which really eliminates hearing this delay), the chance of anyone "hearing" the ambient sound of their strings on a stage with wedge monitors is ..... just a little south of zero ;)

As for our eyes helping to eliminate real delay ..... well, it doesn't work for me at least. I can clearly hear/feel the latency if the speaker sound doesn't reach me for 20mSec (15 feet plus the additional digital latency of the KPA). Eyes open or eyes closed, it is pretty noticeable.