less latency (i compared the Kemper, the Axe FX and the Line6 Helix)

• I re checked with more level and I have 3ms across the board.
    No effects. Pure cab made no difference. Not sure why I had a different reading earlier.
    But its 3ms solid
    If you feel 3ms you are a rare one.

BTW Bill there was a thread a little while ago about your incredible skills on demoing FX devices and how it would be amazing to see what monster presets you could build with the new morphing feature!:

Bill Ruppert... Great as always!

I'd love to see a ''ruppert morphing pack'' in the future and I'm faaaaar to be alone!!! :thumbup:

Now back on topic!

• Agreed. 3ms is like having you guitar cabinet 3.45 feet from your ear.

Ouch! :wacko:

Bands playing on a big stage have to synchronise somehow. They somehow manage to do it. Speed of sound is constant at a constant T and P. I guess you just get used to the 3ms additional delay too? Case closed? ;)

• Well, maybe these guys do

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I could hear you coming, Don. LOL

Just keep in mind that if you are 5ft away of your cab with your kemper, with 4.9ms of latency' it is like your are 10ft away with a tube amp. The internal latency of the kemper comes in addition of the sound latency that you have with the tube amp.

But for my side, I didn't notice any latencies

Thank you, Christophe. Yes, I had bourne that in mind, but the "Constant Latency" example was an unrealistic, extreme one as it's only used for reamping, if at all, so I'd imagined the typical 3ms figure for the Kemper, meaning that it'd only be adding 3 feet to the distance. This way, the 5 feet becomes 8 feet, which is IMHO still well within the realm of reasonable real-world scenarios.

Thanks again mate.

I'm one of those sensitive to latency. I'm no speed demon, but pitch, phase and latency sensitivities I do have in spades.

My HD500 was the worst. Unbearable. Believe me when I say that neither I nor my also-sensitive (and much more talented playing-wise) brother "Fingers" can perceive any latency from the Kemper, even when using my studio monitors at a distance of 4 to 6 feet.

I've said it before, but compared to every other unit I've tried since POD v1.0, the Kemper feels the most realistically-tube-amp-like, with nobody coming a close second. This thing's in a league all its own, something I'd like to think most of us here have come to believe without question.

Frankly, I'm amazed that a discussion of this nature, especially regarding the Kemper itself's latency as opposed to all the other equipment mentioned, even exists on this forum. I mean, of all places, and in relation to the least latent-sounding unit I've ever tried? Really? I'm truly flabbergasted. =O

EDIT: I repeat the caveat that I've never played any Fractal unit or the Helix, so to be fair, either or both mightn't be half bad in terms of latency, and I expect they're not. Given the amount of DSP power they boast, it'd be embarrassing for the designers and programmers if they couldn't deliver low-latency figures.

• That's weird. My Pod HD 500X had only 1.2ms latency. The Atomic Amplifire had even only 0.8ms.

I can live with the latency of the Kemper. But I avoid the loop because of the double conversion (and thus double latency).

• That's weird. My Pod HD 500X had only 1.2ms latency. The Atomic Amplifire had even only 0.8ms.

I can live with the latency of the Kemper. But I avoid the loop because of the double conversion (and thus double latency).

All I can say is just don´t go on a large stage without faster than light based sound propagation :rolleyes: And with the Kemper you get a sound that you might stick with... :thumbup:

I had the HD500. The 500X had, I think, double the CPU power and was released 'cause folks complained that they couldn't employ enough FX blocks. In dual-amp configuration you pretty much had to forget about FX altogether.

I'm betting that the latency of your unit was way better than that of the bog-standard 500.

That Atomic Amplifire spec is impressive, workingtitle. Wow! Thank you for sharing that.

Surprised with the amplifire - feels much less responsive than the Kemper in my book. But that could be the quality of the modelling rather than the latency.