Running Logic Pro X - Least Expensive Option

• I am a PC guy (I built a monster PC for photo/video processing) looking to buy an Apple computer (most cost effective solution) of some sort for the sole reason of running Logic Pro X. Music would be the dedicated use of the Apple!

Long story short, and the way I came to purchase a Kemper: Purchased an iPad Mini 2 for use with photo equipment, started messing with Garage Band, this led me to pick up my guitar after a 3 year hiatus, saw a Muse concert around the same time, heard they used this think called a Kemper, looked up Kemper, bought a lunchbox, got rid of my amp and stomps, and here we are. Garage Band's simplicity and intuitive use struck me and a light went off "this is why people use Apples!", I said to myself. Doing more research, I read that Logic Pro X is Garage Band on super steroids. Awesome!

I currently use Ableton Live 8, and it is a bit non-intuitive and clunky to me. I've only watched a few tutorials and can get around it, but I find it a bit painful. For an audio interface I run the Kemper SPDIF through a MOTU 828MKii which goes via firewire to my PC (not the usual USB). So I figure it may also work with a MAC, since MAC software is available. Just not sure on the years of compatibility.

I've already done some research on this and it seems like a late 2012 Mac Mini is the most cost effective way to go, all though the all in one MACs look appealing as well due to the form factor of not having so many wires around. I'm asking for some advice/suggestions in this forum because it really seems that there are a lot of very technical folks here. Any suggestions you guys may have on what to run Logic Pro X on would be appreciated. Thanks.

• i have a macbook pro from 2011
    works like charm with logic x
    go for mac
    you will have far less trouble than with a windows based system
    you can make music
    and do not spent your time on have your system running and making windows work

• I run logic on a late 2012 mac mini (souped up a bit). Works like a charm.

However, there's no reason why you couldn't run a windows-based daw setup if you're just a bit smart about it. Since you do video processing on your PC, I assume that you know your way around a PC based system for "professional" media production. For any DAW, there's a learning curve. This would also apply for Logic. I think Studio One is a good alternative that runs on PC.

• you will have far less trouble than with a windows based system

+1
    yep, I got an iMac late 2010 and it runs as on the very first day since then it started with OS 10.6 and runs now smoothly with OS 10.11
    It takes a few days until you get used with Mac OS but with with your ipad you already opened the door.

zuviel thread macht blead

• Thanks folks, I had no idea Logic Pro X would work with Apple systems as early as 2010. I might be able to find something for $350-$500 in that case.

Also took a look at the min specs, but they really are minimal. I suppose a bit more RAM and an SSD or external recording drive are helpful too.

Just looked in on Studio One 3 and it looks interesting as well. A few folks on the web have actually made that switch.

• @AnthonyNYC, I'm using LogicX as my main DAW but have been using Ableton Live as well for years (I'm on 9.5 suite).
    All I can say is that Live is an equally awesome DAW that can do nearly everything, (and some things way better than LogicX).
    Perhaps you don't need to switch at all?
    What is it that you cannot do with Live?

• Ingolf, it isn't that there's anything that I can't do with Ableton 8, it just seems that Apple's software is smoother, less clunky, more intuitive and easier to use. With logic, I just have the notion that I'll play more because of that ease. I may be lacking the neat new audio to midi feature I've read about, but I honestly don't know that I'd need it at all.

Kind of just want to give logic a shot.

• Logic is the best 'value for money' DAW in terms of content, but it's worth downloading demos of other DAWs, to find out what you like best.

In terms of specs, all current Macs will run Logic without issue. Anything above 8GB RAM is good, get more if you plan large projects (over 50 tracks). An SSD is always a good idea in terms of performance.

Some things will be different when you switch to a Mac:

- do not install any antivirus software or cleaner apps, they do more harm than good
    - keep the OS up to date, no need to stay on an outdated OS (given that plug ins and DAW are compatible - all of the good ones keep up with OS releases). The latest OS is free.
    - no need to 'optimise' the computer for audio
    - no need to have an 'audio-only' machine, or keep it off the Internet
    - David Pogue's 'Missing Manual' books for OS X are great, they will get you started in no time. Even if you read only the chapter about the Finder, it's worth the price of admission (you can get the book in iBooks for your iPad..)

When you first start Logic on a new Mac, it will open in a simplified, GarageBand like mode. This may be a good place to get started, you can switch to the more complicated, full blown interface later (in Logic's Preferences).

• I partly disagree with the ones in bold above.

Third party plugins will not automatically work without a hitch when a new OS comes along.
    Optimizing for audio - well, I guess I agree partly with this, but it depends on the performance experienced.
    And while you don't need to keep the machine off the internet, you don't for a PC either if you're just a little bit smart about it. However, I'd advise to make a special user account for music production only. That goes for PC and mac both.

• Verifying system requirements of plug ins is common sense on all platforms.

To elaborate regarding upgrades: almost 70% of all Windows users are on outdated OS releases. The most common version, Windows 7, is from 2009, and still used by over 40% of the user base. Compared to the version distribution of OS X - the percentage of users still on an OS X releases this old is so small, it does not even show up on the graph (low single digit percentage..).

You recommend using a separate user account for music production. Why? What do you think is the advantage of that?

• Hah, I'm not planning to switch from PC to mac in general. Few Macs will keep up with the PC I custom built for Adobe Premiere Pro. All solid state drives for project work and OS, great video card, sick CPU, and my PC just hums along (bottom of this thread is current build if anyone's curious). Now they've released newer motherboards, so I am a bit behind the curve!

I just thought it would be cool to add a mac to a small desk in the corner of my room which would be used only for music work only, just because from using Garage Band - man do I like how Apple's programming feels and how easily I intuitively got around it. Never felt that way with Ableton. Although I do know Ableton is a powerful and competent program, I'd still like to try messing with Logic Pro X for awhile.

If I can get away with a solution for $500-$800, I will give it a shot for sure. Thank you for all the input folks.

HAH stratology - I'm using windows 7 on my PC. Just switched a laptop to windows 10 to check it out. Friends tell me that Win 10 is better than 8, so will give it a shot. Win 8 was pretty shitty. They moved everything familiar.

• An alternative solution is to pick up something like a MacBook Pro and upgrade the RAM and hard drive to a solid state drive. Don't worry about those specs right out of the gate.

Depending on the interface and display you plan to use, and depending on the year it was made, the Mac Mini will probably need an adapter for the display (they used the old Displayport connector - my old Mac Mini's lying in a bin because I can't find a monitor to plug it into anywhere). The one I have also does not have Thunderbolt capability, which could be a problem (my monitors are all Thunderbolt now).

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• Few Macs will keep up with the PC I custom built for Adobe Premiere Pro.

IF you should decide to get an Apple computer I would have a look on Final Cut Pro X as well. I have a 8 core dual GTX 980TI 64GB RAM video editing machine myself with Premiere Pro - it's about as fast as my Macbook running Final Cut Pro... Adobe's video engine really sucks. Final Cut is flying (6 4K streams without pre-rendering ... no problem) on my OSX installation (google Hackintosh) on the video edit PC :)

On Topic: I have Logic Pro and Studio One... hardly ever use Logic - I think Studio One is way more intuitive. Give it a try :)

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• I have a MacBook Pro 17" 2009 Core 2 Duo.
    8Gb Ram, SSD.

Logic X is working great with up to 60 Tracks per Project, and tons of Plugins. Stable as a Rock. My Protools 10 was never so rock solid with so many tracks.

For 500-800 Bugs you would get a great used machine which handle logic like a charm.
    Try it out. If it is not the real thing for you, you could sell it with minimal to none loss again.

If you find Garageband intuitive then you would love Logic.
    I hate Garageband because of the not intuitive workflow :)

• I'm in the same boat :)
    Late 2009 MBP, 2,53 Ghz Core 2 duo, 8gb ram and SSD.
    Logic X loads in 12 seconds :D

Of course if i'd buy an used mac, I'd look for a i5 from 2012, they are still cheap and have a less obsolete processor.