Soft crackles and pops.

• Searched and didn't find anything like this issue exactly, so I thought I'd ask.

Was doing some writing/demo recording with the Kemper tonight and I noticed that I'm getting some constant, soft (but very audible on a quieter track) cracks and pops coming down the line from the Kemper into my DAW.

Was getting them regardless of rig/noise gate setting/guitar volume/output volume, etc... i.e. I could zero the Output volume from the guitar and the Kemper and they were still occurring.

Saw them on the meters on my interface and in the DAW, so I know it's happening somewhere before then.

Signal Chain was dead simple:

Guitar --> (Brand new, quality) Cable --> KPA --> Main Outs (L&R) ---> MOTU 828 Mk3 (Rear inputs) --> USB Cable --> Macbook Pro (Logic Pro X)

Please note I'm not going out via SPDIF (although maybe I should be). I know there was a similar issue around that arrangement.

My assumption at the moment is dirty power, but the Kemper is pretty much brand new, so I'd like to rule out any functionality issues with it. We're in an apartment community, so I can only assume the power is less than "clean". I've got the Kemper plugged into a pretty decent surge protector, but don't have any sort of AC filtering device in use (although I've been planning to get a Furman anyways M-X82 for this very purpose).

Has anyone else experienced any issues like this? Any other things I should be checking? ?(

Thanks!

• It sounds simple but lower the volume control. Not the master volume but the volume on the bottom row.
    I had the same thing and that was it.
    If you watch the output light it should be just green to be safe.
    One hard strum with it turned up sends the master section into a clip.

The other thing could be the clock setting on the recording interface and the Mac?
    I had that problem in protools...
    Only other fix fix is Isotope RX and you have to go in after the fact and pull them all out in software.
    at least you can save a track that was doomed.
    You will find it!

• Maybe its very simple and has nothing to with the kpa. I have had the same issue in my daw. Searched for weeks, changed the recording interface and so on. Finally i switched of my wireless lan card in my computer and what a magic, the problem was solved. Never expected than,but if your are connected via lan to the web, the w- lan card works and some cards are making this noise in the background.
    You have to switch it of in the hardware sektion, if you use windows. With mac i have no experience..
    Hope this is the bug and the answer helps.

cheers
    Frank

• Thanks all, for the brainstorm!

The clicks aren't regular, per se (i.e. they are non-rhythmic), but happen at least every few seconds or so, fairly constantly.

I don't think it could be originating in Logic, because they're registering on the input meters on my interface... which to me indicates they're originating "upstream" if you will.

And I'm also recording with microphones and virtual instruments, and the issue only happens when I'm monitoring or recording the KPA.

I've got time set aside today to do some more demoing, I'll see if I can get a recording to post.

• Test the following:
    - Does it disappear when turning the guitar volume all the way down?
    - If so: does it happen in all pickup positions?
    - Does it disappear if you remove the guitar cable FROM THE KEMPER?
    - Does it disappear if you turn the noise gate up all the way?
    - Does it disappear if you deactivate all stomps, FX and stack section?
    - Does it disappear if you use another output from the kemper?
    - Does it disappear if you disconnect the kemper from the interface (remove the cable FROM THE KEMPER)

• I get this kind of soft crackles and pops often the reason seems to be Windows OS. I do not get them when I use Guitar -> Kemper -> Monitors.

Try these steps - although published by Focusrite, I believe it applies to Windows OS more that interface.

• What is your buffer set at?

Hi, I have the same problem Smitty has. I use the Spdif output. I never had this issue before, just appeared in the last couple of days. I have those pops and soft noises only if i play the guitar otherwise it's silent. if I plug my headphones directly in the kemper i have no issues. I use Logic pro x but i just tested Reaper and i have the same issue. Any ideas?