Question about merged profiles

• Hello guys!
    I was reading the Kemper manual planning to make some direct profiles when the Kemper DI Box arrives tomorrow, and I also thought about trying to make a merged profile as well. However, this crazy thought hit me: from what I understand the direct and studio profile are independent, although it is «recommended» to keep the amp at the same settings. This should mean, in theory, that I can take one direct and one studio profile with totally different settings and even amps, and merge them together? Have anyone tried this? And can a merged profile be "unmerged"?

The reason why I think this is very interesting is that I am converting to a more traditional setup now (moving away from a FRFR monitor to a 2x12" guitar cab), and I think it is a shame that I cannot use my great studio profiles to the FOH. I have made my own "sort of" merged profiles by adding an IR to the direct profiles, but this is quite limiting as well. For instance one of my favourite studio profiles is a Marshall cab with Scumback M75s with quite a few different mics, another one have G12H/V30 and SM57/R121 on each speaker etc, quite complicated stuff that I won't find in any IR. Thank you in advance for your answers ^^

• You can use whatever profile you like with your guitar cab, by just killing the Cab's profile.while this is perhaps not "phylologic" it is very musical indeed.

Also, feel free to try any cab from any profile with a direct or merged profile.

What you suggested is actually very doable, even tho I've never tried!

And no, merged profiles can't be unmerged, if I'm getting your question right :)

• Thanks a lot man! At the time I started this thread I did not realize that I could just try it out.. :rolleyes: So I did! I have just tried it a couple of times now, but it certainly worked very well! When I merged a studio profile with a direct profile with quite a lot less gain, I felt like the studio profile decreased its gain to match with the direct profile, but trying it out with profiles closer to each other in gain the difference was hardly noticeable. I will do some more experimenting, really promising so far though! :D

• With a merged profile to un-merge it simply turn off the cab. The benefit of merged or DI is that the cabinet is totally separate. With the studio profile there is some carryover with the cabinets. It matters on some and not on others. You must decide. I have a group that are merged that I have saved the cabinets. I try messing around with my DI profiles and others' using those cabs versus studio cabinets. The other "pro" to truly separated cabinet/Amp is when running into a power amp and tradition speaker cabinet via monitor out (cab off). The studio profiles add some of the original speaker into the situation. When running a merged profile and/or a studio profile through the FOH there is supposed to be no theoretical difference.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• Alright, so I have been making some direct profiles of my Marshall SL-5. They sound really great until a certain level of gain... With gain and volume at about 12 o'clock and a Tubescreamer in front everything just becomes muddy and really loose. Wayy too much low end, as opposed to the real amp that does not have much low end. I find it really strange to be honest, I have made profiles with quite a lot of gain and it sounds marvelous, but when it gets to about 3 o'clock on the Kemper it has the low end of a bad fuzz box... Profiles made at the exact same volume but with less gain sound great (without TS for instance) so it has to be related to the amount of gain. The reference amp and the Kemper amp are not even remotely close, what the hell is going on? :/

Edited 2 times, last by Alfi27 ().

• Also make sure you refine a couple times. It made a large difference on the Orange DI profiles I've made. What is your DI box? Does it require a battery or phantom power? I've also ran into a battery issue and changed out to phantom power.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• I am changing gain on the amp. Distortion sens is set at 0 but I used a Les Paul Junior with a vintage output P90.. I refined for a pretty long time but the results turned out the same. The DI Box is the official one from Kemper. Please go to my other thread dedicated to this issue for further questions and answers, and keep this thread about merged profiles :)