Please educate me on how to do my own youtube vids...

• Hey guys, I'm looking to make my own youtube chanel with me playing guitar - just as a fun project.
    But being a bit technically outdated - what do I need to make a youtube vid and how can I get some FX into that like some guys do?
    In particular:

1.)how can I record myself and *not* use my mobile phone's mic for the sound but the straight output of my KPA?
    2.)How can I blend *text* into the vid at certain points?
    3.)how can I layer 2 vids into one (e.g. me playing rhythm guitar on the upper half of the vid and me playing lead guitar on the lower half)
    4.)what software do I need?
    5.)is all this hard to do?
    6.)any other thoughts / comments?

• 1) Well... record the KPA with an interface of your choice... I can recommend the Roland Quad Capture (SPDIF records the KPA lossless) - but there are many cheaper solutions as well. Putting together the video track with the audio track: "see 4)".
    2) With a video editing program.
    3) See 2)
    4) Many choices... free ones: iMovie, Windows Movie Maker, Davinci Resolve (Resolve is way more complicated then the other 2 but also can do everything you want). There is also Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro X... if you are an Apple user I'd recommend to start with iMovie, easy to use.
    5) No, these are all very basic tasks with millions of youtube tutorials.
    6) Good luck :)

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• 1) Record your guitar track from KPA output (XLR or SPDIF) to your interface - depending on what DAW you use (will use) just arm proper input for recording
    2) I believe you can do it after you upload video to Youtube (there is simple online editor, you can add text, simple FX), but off course also in your video editor.
    3) You need to record from 2 camcoders at once or record twice. Then merging this videos has to be done in your video editor - I use Cyberlink PowerDirector (only for Windows) - just search for PiP (Picture in Picture) feature in your video editor. Basically you load 2 videos on project's timeline and then drag one onto another and position them.
    4) Video editor - what OS are you on?
    5) Harder that getting good sound out of Kemper :D
    6) If you would like to record you from 2 (or more) camcoders at once, then Multicam Designer function in PowerDirector is your friend. This makes synchronizing recordings done from different devices very easy.

• Many Thanks Daniel!!!!!

1.)Funny you should mention the Quad Capture - I'm curently upgrading my homestudio and was looking into the Roland Octa Capture - but might opt for the Quad Capture if it is of high quality for .flac .mp3 playback and recording use. The other interface I considered was the Tascam UH-7000.

[...]

4.)Cool, I'm a PC user. I'm looking to get the easiest program possible - does not need to be free though - I'm happy to pay if it's easy to use and is fun to use... any specific recommendation for PC use?

• Awesome brother!!! Many thanks!
    Cool infos - how hard is Cyberlink PowerDirector for use? I'm a Windows user myself :)

• Awesome brother!!! Many thanks!
    Cool infos - how hard is Cyberlink PowerDirector for use? I'm a Windows user myself :)

Basically you just Import your media (movies, music, pictures) to the library (upper left part of window) and then add them to timeline (lower part of window).
    There is bunch of tutorials for Powedirector but it's intuitive.
    One feature that stands it above others I tried is that MulticamDesigner and ability to automaticaly syncing videos that are not recorded starting at the same timeframe. You just load up to 4 videos in MulticamDesigner and choose Synchronization source - syncing by audio works for me always. You can also choose audio source - it can be audio from one of your camcoders or audio recorded from Kemper.

You can do stuff like this:

[Blocked Image: http://s32.postimg.org/mmvih7hdx/2015_07_04_145946.jpg]

Try it http://www.cyberlink.com/downl…ultra/download_en_EU.html it is also reasonable priced.

• Lol, intersting!
    Now, what cameras do you guys use?

I use/have 3 of them: JVC GX GZ1, Sony HDR CX115E and cheapo BENQ (can't remember name), 4th track is always audio recorded from Kemper to DAW. Then I load 3 videos + 1 audio into PowerDirector's Multicam Designer, I sync all 4 sources using audio and I choose audio from DAW as audio source (what will be heard in final clip):

[Blocked Image: http://s32.postimg.org/6kz1rpmx1/multi1.jpg]

You can also switch between 3 camcoder's source movies (2 3 and 4 on above example), while building final clip, just by clicking 2 3 or 4 numbers right next to the source clip thumbnail. That way your final clip will be having you playing at different angles through the whole clip with the same audio - number 1 clip, your DAW recording.

• A7R2 and A7s (yes, my camera gas is strong as well). But you can easily just use your smartphone, most of them already offer decent video quality... if you stick with your Youtube Channel you can also upgrade later.

For PC use you could have a look on Adobe Premiere... I find it easy to use and the price is ok. Also it is subscription based which I always prefer to "full retail" prices ... because this way you can find out whether the software suits you at very little costs. Only thing that really sucks in premiere is the performance... while I can easily edit 6 4K stream in parallel on my Final Cut Pro install premiere doesn't manage to work with... ONE. (same Computer)

@skoczy's suggestion looks good too though!

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• A7R2 and A7s (yes, my camera gas is strong as well). But you can easily just use your smartphone, most of them already offer decent video quality... if you stick with your Youtube Channel you can also upgrade later.

For PC use you could have a look on Adobe Premiere... I find it easy to use and the price is ok. Also it is subscription based which I always prefer to "full retail" prices ... because this way you can find out whether the software suits you at very little costs. Only thing that really sucks in premiere is the performance... while I can easily edit 6 4K stream in parallel on my Final Cut Pro install premiere doesn't manage to work with... ONE. (same Computer)

Comparing Adobre Premiere to Cyberlink Powerdirector is 25€ monthly subscription vs 53€ for full licence. Featurewise Powerdirector offers really lot. You can try both suites and decide.

• So awesome you guys!!!!!!
    Thanks a million skoczy, mDan and DanielMoreira!!!!!
    Will look into both softwares and research a bit to see which one fits me better - I think you have all my questions covered!!! Many thanks :)

• So awesome you guys!!!!!!
    Thanks a million skoczy, mDan and DanielMoreira!!!!!
    Will look into both softwares and research a bit to see which one fits me better - I think you have all my questions covered!!! Many thanks :)

One more thing - with PowerDirector, after you import your source file(s) and edit the project / add effects, you can "produce" (export/render) your final clip directly to YouTube. Just choose quality, set title and privacy options for viewers, make one time authentication to your google account and voila! No need to uploading using YouTube website.

My goodness, mDan...those cameras are serious business. And I thought guitar G.A.S was expensive. :D
    I was just looking at the reviews for the new Sony A7S II. Wow, that is a powerful camera. And I know little to nothing about photography or shooting video. However, I learned a bit from watching the YouTube vids on these cameras. Amazing technology.

Cheers,
    John