Inaccurate direct profiles...

• Hello guys! Decided to make a new thread for this issue. So, I have been making some direct profiles of my Marshall SL-5 tonight. They sound really great until a certain level of gain... With gain and volume at about 12 o'clock and a Tubescreamer in front everything just becomes muddy and really loose. Wayy too much low end, as opposed to the real amp that does not have much low end. I find it really strange to be honest, I have made profiles with quite a lot of gain and it sounds marvelous (gain at about 1 o'clock), but when it gets to about 3 o'clock on the Kemper it has the low end of a bad fuzz box... Profiles made at the exact same volume but with less gain sound great so it has to be related to the amount of gain. The reference amp and the Kemper amp are not even remotely close, what the hell is going on? ?(

• I have tried refining them and not refining them, same result either way. With gain at 9 o'clock and the Tubescreamer in front the profiles are accurate, but it is when I turn gain on the amp up to 12 o'clock this happens..
    I use the Kemper DI Box and I have a cab connected yes

• Here is a clip. The first is the Kemper profile, the second is the real amp through the same IR.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Well, sort of, but like I said it should have nothing to do with the Tubescreamer as I have made great profiles with it at lower gain settings.
    EDIT: Actually, no... I turned gain to about 3 o'clock and it sounds almost the same as the TS in front with gain at 12 o'clock... This is really strange, I understand Choptones also use the Kemper DI Box and they profile amps with Tubescreamers at much higher gain levels than I, with great results.

• When I first got my KPA, I remember reading that it has difficulty profiling tube screamers properly, and is why @ckemper included a modelled tube screamer in the Stomps section (the Green Scream).

That's true. There are some effects the KPA isn't able to profile i. E. a fuzz is sometimes really difficult and the same goes for tube screamers. Try using the tube screamer of the KPA.

The Educated Apes: Facebook | Bandcamp

Kemper-Wiki
    [email protected]

Main Rig: KPA Power Toaster + Profiler Remote, 2x Palmer 112 Cab (1x Celestion V30, 1x Celestion CB NEO), ME EP1-KP-GN, Dunlop Cry Baby 95Q, Gibson Memphis ES-339 '16, Gibson Melody Maker '14, Fender Thinline Cabronita '12

• an alternative is to mimic your amp tone with the KPA by adding some KPA gain on your highest gain profile and store the new rig,

you might have to adjust others params like basic EQ, clarity & def, but this works great for some amp & preamp I've been profiling in the past, as long as you got a good reference tone while adjusting your profile.

• Like I said the results are equally bad without a tubescreamer in the front and gain high on the amp...
    All of this being said, the profiles with less gain are f**kin epic and easily as good as the best I have purchased :thumbup:

• Definitely refine your profile, but make sure you have ample headroom going into the Kemper return.

I had some problems similar to this which went away one day. I remember attenuating the signal going into the Kemper.

Kemper will interrupt the profiling if it clips internally during the process, but I don't think it will account for shoddy gain staging.

Try it :).

• I'm having exactly the same problem trying to profile a 1989 Randall RG100ES. The Kemper is inventing a huge low end that does NOT exist in the amp. Instead of high-gain low-mid, the Kemper gives lot of low frequency (about 70-100 Hz), and the profile has nothing to do with the original amp. In addition, the resulting profile has much less gain and attack than the amp.

How did you solve your problem? Any clues? I've made about 80 different attempts to profile this head and no satisfying results. :(((

• Which firmware version are you running? My Kemper was running on the 3.3 version when this issue occured, but after I installed the 4.0.2 beta version the issue completely disappeared! All of the studio and direct profiles now sound great and accurate at every gain level. At least worth trying! :)

• I'm running 3.3. I was thinking about installing the new 4 Beta, but it seems it has many stability issues yet. In any case... I need a solution, because my profiler is just unusable at the moment: no profile sounds even close to the original, that low end, low sub is killing me :(((((((

• Upgraded today to 4.0.3. Same thing.

I've initialised rigs as they recommended me in technical support.

I've made a "Flash Init", factory restore, as they told me in technical support.

Still the same thing. Clean profiles sound well. but when trying to profile the Randall Rg100ES... the profile sounds just like a subwoofer. I've made about 50 profiles just today with very similar settings in the amp: some sound clean, some sound distorted, some sound very compressed, all bad. And none of them has the gain and punch of the amp. Waiting for solutions from tech support again.