AMT Stonehead, thoughts?

• Hi!
    I've thought on buying an AMT Stonehead (50w) for rehearsing and gigging (I keep the KPA for home use). I'm currently using a Mesa Mini Rectifier, which I like, but I'd like to try something difference. This AMT seems to sound pretty decent and it's not so expensive, so I could keep some cash after selling my current amp.

I don't need the ultimate metal tone for recording, just a versatile amp that sounds good in many styles for live use. But I'm a little bit worried It could be a huge downgrade in comparison to the Mesa. I'm also worried about how it cuts through a live mix. I had an AMT D2 that sounded great and was even tighter than the Boogie, but it was more difficult to be heard in a band context.

Does anyone here owns it? Some opinions?

Thanks!

• It depends on the concert, for some I do! But there're also times I prefer not to bring thousands of euros in gear with me.

Anyway, it would be mainly for rehearsing, I have the KPA at home where I record, so if I rehearse with it I should carry it with me every time I do.

• I only have experience with the AMT SS-11 and it's a real killer preamp, I was deeply impressed by it's performance and versatility, from super cleans to heavy drives and fantastic boogie like leads.

So good that I did start selling commercial profiles based on this little beast, I took more than 100 profiles from it , in all major styles (check my signature with tons of clips). The only drawback was the 'not so good' CAB sim, but it's been redone on the new SS11 version. These ones are tube made, and use a very high current to drive the tubes properly.

The stonehead is solid state but might also be worth checking.

Theses Russians clearly know how to build & design amps, one of the rare gear I did not sold after getting my KPA.

• Another vote of support for AMT, I own the SS-10 and it's a fantastic pre-amp and very well engineered. But, if I were doing any sort of tour these days on a tight budget and I were responsible for my own equipment, I'd probably take a few pedals and a decent cab sim and call it a day. Also be aware than AMT is using solid state replacement tubes for some of their products