Rate the Transpose feature

• It kind of depends on what you're playing, too. Single-note stuff works better than chords, the more complex the chord the more dissonant it gets, etc. And the imperfections get more pronounced the further you're transposing.

I typically use transpose for rehearsal but bring another guitar for gigging.

• I've got a G&L ASAT (Telecaster shape in my profile picture) that has a Variax system retrofitted. I used to use it for No One Knows by Queens of the Stone Age which is in C standard. It felt quite laggy and annoying for the most part. The guitar part is very choppy and needs to be quite tight and although it sounded good to everyone else in the band, it didn't feel right. I still stuck with it though.

On the whole, the Variax stuff sounds really good and a lot better than many people will want you to think but the tuning feature is only so good. The 12 string always sounded pretty bad to my ears.

• The previous Variax 500/600/700 series had a bit of piezo-tone that could still be heard in most of the pickup models to my ears. It was subtle enough that other people didn't hear it at all, but I noticed it, particularly when playing hard. When I installed Variax electronics in a PRS SE, I used Graphtech saddles, and it improved that issue quite a bit.

As as far as Roland gear goes, the GP-10 would be the simpler to integrate into an existing live rig, but the GR-55 has good sounding internal synths with barely perceptible latency, amp modeling, guitar modeling, effects. It also has MIDI out ( the pitch to MIDI conversion process adds some latency).

http://Www.vguitarforums.com is the place to go for information about Roland/Boss guitar products.

• I don't own a variax but have been following the concept since a good while. The consensus is that the hardware must be tight and well-set in order to get the best results, since the engine basically analyses the waveform as a base in order to generate the requested tones. Many report that tighter saddles, a better nut or other improvements make for better tones and overall responsiveness.

Also, users seem to agree that FW 2.0 is a step back in terms of tonal faithfulness.
    Having said this, I like the demos on L6 site! Pretty sure they have been optimized (and maybe post-produced), but at least they show what the variax can sound like.
    (Records have been made through a Helix BTW).

• This is really interesting information. The pitch fork is better than the Kemper transpose? And the Whammy DT is even better? If you have the pedals would you mind posting some clips? Would appreciate it, thanks!

The difference isn't big enough to get exited about. They are both glitchy and delayed at a -5th. If the Kemper transpose and Pitchfork were both similar pedals, I'd use the pitchfork. But currently I use the Kemper because the difference isn't big enough to overcome the inconvenience of an extra pedal. Regarding the Whammy DT, I don't own one but I compared it directly to the Pitchfork at a -5th.

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• It kind of depends on what you're playing, too. Single-note stuff works better than chords, the more complex the chord the more dissonant it gets, etc. And the imperfections get more pronounced the further you're transposing.

I typically use transpose for rehearsal but bring another guitar for gigging.

Hi, which transpose unit are you talking about though? :)

The previous Variax 500/600/700 series had a bit of piezo-tone that could still be heard in most of the pickup models to my ears. It was subtle enough that other people didn't hear it at all, but I noticed it, particularly when playing hard. When I installed Variax electronics in a PRS SE, I used Graphtech saddles, and it improved that issue quite a bit.

As as far as Roland gear goes, the GP-10 would be the simpler to integrate into an existing live rig, but the GR-55 has good sounding internal synths with barely perceptible latency, amp modeling, guitar modeling, effects. It also has MIDI out ( the pitch to MIDI conversion process adds some latency).

http://Www.vguitarforums.com is the place to go for information about Roland/Boss guitar products.

Yes, was trawling those forums earlier in the day. While I think it's a great concept, I wish there was some way to test this out as a supplement for my Kemper tone, rather than a standalone unit. It does look promising, but I've heard contrasting views on how mature the technology is.

Still thinking of picking up one second hand and fooling around with it.

The difference isn't big enough to get exited about. They are both glitchy and delayed at a -5th. If the Kemper transpose and Pitchfork were both similar pedals, I'd use the pitchfork. But currently I use the Kemper because the difference isn't big enough to overcome the inconvenience of an extra pedal. Regarding the Whammy DT, I don't own one but I compared it directly to the Pitchfork at a -5th.

I think shifting a fifth is more like a job for a pitch shifter than a transpose, haha! I pretty much use the transpose for octave stuff, seldom for alternate tunings, though I think it would do in a situation where you don't have the right tuned guitar. But I found up to +/-5 was definitely usable, the audience won't be able to tell the difference, though there is a bit of lag. There is a bit of a digital feel though, which should be avoided.

Works great with octaves though, I think those are simpler to process. I'll stick with the Kemper if there aren't any major differences with other products.

BTW, just saw a demo of the octave effect on the Axe AX8 vs a Digitech Whammy DT. Pretty sure the Axe AX8 won out. I'd like to hear a direct comparison of the AX8 transpose vs the Kemper though.

• I play live with it a couple of times a month on Come As You Are by Nirvana. No body notices anything odd.
    I also use my GR55 for a couple of Drop d songs. I just got a Antares ATG-1 the accousics and 12 strings sound better then the GR55 to my ears

• If CK & team could improve upon its tracking and the 100% wet return tone I'd be very happy.

In its current form it's serviceable however, I have every confidence CK could beat out the competition with a little more effort into the KPA.
    I'm not talking chords here, I'm specifically talking about single note lines. Not only the tracking but cleaning up the full wet sound would greatly benefit from
    CK's unique thought and approach process. Why allocate ALL those available delay lines in the KPA for ? when CK could dedicate most of them to Harmoniser duties returning a cleaner and more realistic wet sound. (this is when only using the harmoniser & digital capo I'm thinking)

Harmoniser users the world over would flock to the Kemper in droves for this feature alone. I also believe if CK attended to this his KPA digital capo would benefit also pleasing many more KPA players/users.

For the record I own an Eventide H8000a and I would love to retire it fully and use the KPA for all duties as I know CK has the capability of this realisation if only he dedicated some more of his time towards it.

Here's hoping.

• Nicely put... :thumbup:

• I've been looking at the somewhat new Digitech Drop pedal. It's supposed to be one of the best in terms of tracking and latency. If I put this in the effects loop of the KPA, is it possible to assign the loop/Drop to stomp position A? I'm assuming the answer is yes (because the Kemper can do every-frigging-thing!). I'd like to be able to put it in a stomp, that way I can leave the pedal back in the rack and control it from the Kemper Controller.

• Just my personal opinion, but I would think this pedal (or any pedal like it) would track poorly if placed in the effects loop. You'd want to feed it the cleanest signal possible in order to ensure the best tracking. I think feeding this a distorted signal might throw it off.

I speak from experience - I placed my Pitchfork pedal right after my tuner and it worked fine. However placing it after my overdrive pedals affected its tracking.

Does Digitech suggest placing this pedal in a loop or in front of the amp?

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• Just my personal opinion, but I would think this pedal (or any pedal like it) would track poorly if placed in the effects loop.

Doh! I don't know what I was thinking. I know these types of pedals need to be one of the first (if not the first) thing in your signal chain in order to work properly. I was thinking of using Stomp A as that would be early in the chain, but then forgot that the loop comes later. So you're right, that won't work.

I guess my only option would be to leave it back in my rack and just walk back and click it on whenever I need it. I don't have the option of using it on my pedalboard and activating it from there because I've specifically designed my new setup so that I don't have any cables running from my pedalboard back to the rack. The longest guitar cable in my entire rig is only about a foot long.

• I guess if you are using it for an entire song and have no need to turn it on or off mid-tune, that will work.

It's a minor sacrifice to maintain that "mightypudge OCD approved super clean rig" you've achieved. :)

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• I guess if you are using it for an entire song and have no need to turn it on or off mid-tune, that will work.

It's a minor sacrifice to maintain that "mightypudge OCD approved super clean rig" you've achieved. :)

Haha. Yeah, I'm big on shortest cords possible. No tone loss. And yes, I'd be using it for an entire song (usually multiple songs in a row). So it's not a big deal to have to go back and switch it on/off. I'll just leave a beer next to it so the trip to the rack will be even more worth while.

• I use it on quite a few songs and it works very well for live, clean and distorted. We do The Levee (Zep) and Pantera's Walk a whole step down, the one that surprised me was 5 Finger's cover of Bad Company. I transpose down to drop B except for the solo which I do in standard. Works out really cool, only the occasional warble when I'm picking clean notes with a ton of delay and reverb.

• I just stopped into a music store and tested out the Digitech Drop pedal. It was pretty solid. But I'm not quite sure how much better (if at all) it was when compared to the Kemper's transposing feature. I'm going to have to test the Kemper's transpose again tonight and compare the two. If there isn't any significant difference between the two, I'll likely just roll with the Kemper's feature rather than spending the extra $130 on another pedal that I'll have to leave in my rack.