Best FRFR Cab in 2016

• Dear Kemper players,

I am planning to replace my 4x12 cab with a more compact FRFR cab solution.

I would really appreciate it to receive some feedback from people using one the FRFR cabs listed below, since I do not seem the find a decent review/shootout for these FRFR cabs.

• Mission's Engineering Gemini 2 (passive).
    • Matrix FR212.
    • Blue Amps Cab > 1x12 + Sub > others.
    • Other FRFR cabs are also welcome of coarse.

Thanks in advance,
    BR,
    Dominique

• I personally really like the Yamaha DXR15. I tried the Friedman ASM12, QSC K12, and the Yamaha DXR10 before finally finding what I liked in the DXR15.

• The Yamaha DXR10 sounded good, but couldn't get to the volume levels that I wanted while still being able to handle the low end that I needed when palm muting.
    • The Friedman ASM12 sounded decent, but aside from being heavy and awkward to carry due to the position of the handle, I didn't like the fact that there were so few output options on the back, making it far less versatile than the others (unless you buy adapters for cords).
    • The QSC K12 just flat out sucked.

For me, the Yamaha DXR15 was able to keep the great sound of the DXR10, but was able to handle greater volumes and bass with ease. So I'm able to get a little closer to the "cab in the room" feel with the DXR15 than I could with the DXR10. And it has plenty of options on the back for connecting to the Kemper, linking other speakers, EQ filters, etc. Not to mention the 7 year warranty. The Yamaha stuff tends to have a little bit of a boost in the mid-range, so it's not as flat as an Atomic CLR. But, that little boost in mid-range can be quite useful in cutting through the mix on stage in a live band situation.

In the end, it will all come down to personal preference, what you think sounds good, and what you're looking for from the cab (sound vs portability vs connectivity, etc.). Best thing you can do is bring the KPA to a music store and test a bunch in person one after the other so you can really hear the difference between them all. For me though, if I had to buy another, I'd get the DXR15 again. I think it was the best bang for the buck. I got mine brand new on clearance for $500.

• Just got a Gemini 2, its not that heavy and STEREO is killer you will like it. ;)
    i used to use a TINY 40 watt stereo iloud FRFR. (pictured)

The Gemini may not be as compact as the DX, but its kick ass.
    its not that heavy bra.. ( perfect for high gain and other styles)

Check attached, stereo at home makes me write better music
    but the Gemini is a whole other level

Ash

• I wonder that we still have no feedback from users who have tried some of these new "all in one"-solutions like the Mackie Reach.I would really like to read some reviews about these in combination with the KPA (or some other modeler).I would like to check them out myself but in the country I am there is no music shop which has them in stock.

• Welcome @Dominique999 !!!

With FRFR there are always going to be big debates since tastes vary and no cabinet has the same characteristics, irrespective of the type and make of driver.

I personally favour the Matrix FR212, which I drive with a power toaster and Pure Cab at around 5.0. It's mono, but good.

You might also want to use it with a trad cab. If you output the monitor to one and drive the other via the main output and an amp. That way, you can still get the trad amp feeling and have an FRFR sound delivered. That's why I'm not getting rid of my TubeThomsen cab (2 x Greenbacks). At the moment, it's just a stand with the Matrix FR212 placed on top. At the moment, I'm not sure what solid state amp I'd use to drive the FRFR anyway

Cheers and good hunting!

Jim.

• tried irtx (too small) q12a (had weird noises and just shut down by itself) asm ( damaged in shipping) . asm was the better solution imo but still didn't do much for me so now i'm building my own 112,212, and even 412 frfr cabinets. I really dislike the wedge cabinets im more for the backline style cabs, but if its just for the house, maybe. I use normal monitors and my Diaz cab for band gigs. The mission 212 looks ok but crap 1700.00 kinda steep and stereo out a 212 is not the best option, you really need 2 cabs for that to sound right. One 212 cab or 2 112 wedges, as far as hassle and weight, does not make much difference to me. If your complaining about 20lbs difference you prob drive a prius with a "feel the burn" sticker on it..lol

I also prefer to use passive cabs with something like a matrix 800. I also would not gig with cabinets on poles. i think it looks kinda cheesy but that's just my opinion everyone is different. Its rock n roll for gods sake gotta have a least a half stack.. :thumbup:

I would look at the ASM-12 real hard before buying anything. I guess you could buy the ASM-12 from sweetwater and eat the return shipping if you didn't like it. It was def the best out the 3 but i agree with the other post it could have used some more options in the back. you can still send FOH out of the output of speaker. Its built well and looks good.

• RCF 10" sma here. High quality , punch and output, but not cheap. Saw and heard it the first time on the music trade in frankfurt. They used some in the kemper bus. I was so blown away that i ordered one the next day, so i use it a little longer than one year and i am very happy with this little monster.