Tip for users of the Line 6 Variax with a Kemper

• Hi all, have recently become the happy user of a Variax JTV69S, very versatile and sounds great. I also still have a Line 6 HD500 that has sat dormant for a year since I got the Kemper. But lately I wondered; since the HD500 is such a good midi controller, and has a great Variax interface, would it be worth replacing my FCB1010/Uno4Kemper with the HD500 and gain some features to work with the Variax?

First of all, the HD500 can provide power and signal interfaces to the Variax through its VDI interface.

Also the HD500 is a fairly good midi controller, versatile and programmable, and should work well with the Kemper.

Whenever a button is selected on the HD500, it can automatically select the Variax model and tuning as well as sending patch change information to the Kemper. So this gives the immediate coordination inherent in the Line 6 "dream rig" between the amp sims and Variax.

Here's the final icing on the cake: if you connect the SPDIF out from the HD500 into the digital coax in to the Kemper, and set up the Kemper input for digital reamping, the signal from the Variax stays in the digital domain all the way to the Kemper profiles. In initial experiments I did, this significantly improves the tone of the Variax into the Kemper, giving the Variax more life and detail to its tones, as well as lower noise. This is the best the Variax has ever sounded IMHO, better than into the Kemper front panel input with a 1/4" cable.

The reamp digital input loses a few Kemper features such as Clean Sens, but if you don't use those, it might be an approach to experiment with.

Finally, using the HD500 in this way allows a user to add many effects in the HD500 before the profiles; you can add 8 pre-profile effecs to the 4 in the Kemper. The HD500 should have plenty of DSP for such things since no amp sims would be used. And you would have another looper available in the HD500 if you are into multiple loopers.

Since a used HD500 goes for around $200 or so, that is a LOT of added functionality to the Kemper and Variax, basically integrating the Kemper into the dream rig concept.

• Hey MKB, great post! But clean sense works for SPDIF input as well, try it out! You also get the additional option of reamp sense to further tweak how your profiles respond.

• I have a jtv 59 works great with kpa

Cry Baby Slash Classic Wah -> KPA -> main to FOH ->KRK6 -> Monitor out DXR10 -> EXP DVP3 -> Remote: Guitars: Slash Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop - James Tyler Variax JTV59 - Epiphone Les Paul with EMG 81 - Furch GN2 Nylon -> Maybach Lester 60 -> Kemper Powered Cab -/ Focusrite Scarlett

• At the moment not possible and with different tunings a esotheric experience. ;)

I may be wrong here, but I seem to remember that the variax together with a pod hd500 is actually capable of using those two sounds (analog and digital) at the same time and even to process them individually.

• I may be wrong here, but I seem to remember that the variax together with a pod hd500 is actually capable of using those two sounds (analog and digital) at the same time and even to process them individually.

There is one push/turn switch. By pushing you switch to digital or vice versa.
    In digital mode to choose the models you have to turn.
    I do not have a HD500 (only a XT-life). So I can not confirm this opportunity.

• Might it be that, when the VDI cable is used, the analog output outputs the mag PUs?

I always used the digital cable in connection with the xt-live.
    In digital mode the 5 way switch of the guitar (like a Strat) has other functionality than in the analog mode.

• In Workbench HD you can also create a blend of a model and the magnetic PU's and save it. I think that is output on the 1/4" as well as the digital so you don't need to run both cables.

• In Workbench HD you can also create a blend of a model and the magnetic PU's and save it. I think that is output on the 1/4" as well as the digital so you don't need to run both cables.

Yep - thats the way :thumbup: I did not think about.

But it's not possible to change during playing and of course other tunings should not be used. Therefore I never tried.

• I've checked on the L6 forum: I confirm that (with the right processor, at least an HD500) you can assign the left channel of VDI to models, the right one to mags, at least with the JT models, and process them separately (which means blend or use one of then exclusively according to your patch(es) settings.
    So for example you can have a clean, chimey and shimmery 12-string on one channel and a distorted tone on another one.

Also, you can blend the two sources from within Workbench as Sash pointed out.

Last, I'd not be sure that alternative tunings "should" not be used... this would make for some great sonic opportunities indeed... like for example having a low E on all strings on the model and then modally improvise with he mags using a harmonizer at the same time :D

... which officially makes Variax+Helix my dream rig (use-wise) :D
    (Guys, the routing and assignment possibilities in that machine are astonishing. I mean really 8| )

As a side note, I have discovered that many (some?) use an HD\Firehawk as an interface for the Variax for all the pretty things you can do with the combination (for example assigning a Variax model to a patch in the modeller, or use the controls on the guitar as exp controllers), and then go into a Fractal or other higher-level modeller for their favourite tones :)
    This would apply on the Profiler as well of course...

• @ gianfranco, Thanks for investigation.
    I tried my JTV 69 with the Kemper. The mag. PU's are not bad but not as good as my strat. With the models I was not so really happy, when I compared it with my other guitars.(humbucker-type , hollow bodies or really acoustics)
    I thought I can use the acoustic models, but at the end I mounted a fishman powerbridge with preamp and piezo in my strat, which gives me (my taste) a better acoustic sound with the e-guitar.
    I can do now what I had planned - to use only one guitar for a gig. Strat or hollow-body depending on the type of the gig .
    The JTV69 now is retired. It's only my maybe romantic relationship to guitars not to sell it - with some others I hardly play anymore. ;)

PS: The variability of the Kemper almost overwhelmed me regarding selection of an appropriate sound. Even more I possibly can not take it anymore. ^^

• Hi Everyone.
    This is an interesting thread. I have a question to add to the mix. Would it be possible to connect the JTV to a HD500 and then to the Kemper as described above with SPDIF, but control the whole setup from a KPR? Would this work as a live set up?
    I assume (as I don't own one) that the HD500 could recieve CC messages via midi? This would allow for JTV models and tunings to be programmed into the HD500 avoiding manual changes during the set while Performances, Morphing
    and other KPR/KPA features being controlled in the normal way. Just a couple more leads to plug in.
    Is this possible or am I in dreamland?
    Cheers!
    Pre-Amp

• I don't own an HD500, but the model and the tuning can be embedded in the patch, so that when you recall a patch the Variax changes tuning and model accordingly. At that stage, it's just a matter of sending the right MIDI commands to the Profiler to use that guitar and tuning with the rig you want.

HTH

With the models I was not so really happy, when I compared it with my other guitars.(humbucker-type , hollow bodies or really acoustics)

I've been following the Variax concept since a while. From what I gathered, the biggest issues with the models come from the piezos, when the contact with the strings is not firm or when there are some (even hidden) vibrations. Many have solved through some maintenance, by adding some foam to prevent the strings to resonate or just by installing ticker strings. Others have received some perfectly-set and -working piezos and declare to be happy as fishes.
    It might be worth investigating, you might end up get some great satisfactions from your guitar without having to spend much.

:)

• Thanks for your reply Viabcroce.
    So, if I am in Performance Slot 1 on the Kemper, selected by the remote, with the JTV plugged into the HD500, I'd surely have to control the patch on the HD500 from the Kemper via Midi.
    Performance Slot one sends CC message to the pod to select the correct patch for the guitar model and tuning from the Variax.
    I also assume I could still connect my Strat to the main input on the Kemper when required as this input takes precedent over all others.
    I've always wanted to improve the interaction of the Variax with the Kemper, (not that it's bad or anything) so doing this via the POD is an interesting option especially if
    (as Viabcroce wrote) Clean Sense is still
    available. MKB mentioned that the
    Reamp input setting loses some other
    Kemper features, which would these be?
    I'd interested if anyone with the HD500 and the Kemper remote has set up
    this way especially when playing live.
    I assume, as the Variax stays digital all the way to the Kempers SPDIF input, that any latency would be reduced to minimum with the only digital to analogue conversion taking place at the Kemper end.
    I wioild then build a rack to store the pod just below the Kemper with connections all made to save setup time.
    Thanks for the answers so far.
    Have a great day!
    Pre-Amp
    :)

• I think you don't need the Remote if you use the HD500, at least if regular MIDI pedalboards suffice your needs. You might switch patch on the POD and let it control the Profiler (if the POD can send two MIDI commands at the same time you'd be able to control all the parameters in the Profiler).
    Also, do not underestimate the fact that, with the HD500 or higher models through VDI, the guitar's knobs become controllers. Not sure about all the things you can actually do with those, but it's worth a reading IMO :)

If it did not make my setup over-complicated for my tastes, I'd do the same as you. But adding a POD would mean I'd be back to my old pedalboard-amp-cables-mains-whatsnot and I'd HATE it ROTFL

:D

• Thanks for your thoughts Viabcroce.
    I don't want too many cables etc either. I already have the remote though and like using it live.
    Having the VDI capabilities of the pod would be a luxury. I'm not sure if the Pod has full midi capability (though I think MKB said it is midi programmable). I'd only change my current set up if I could be sure the I could still use Performance mode, if I could use
    the expression pedal on the pod to control morphing and keep any extra
    cabling to a minimum. I like the fact I don't need a power lead for the KPR. It's display is better too.
    What I really want is the Variax VDI interface in a small box (midi
    controlled) that I could link up with the
    Kemper via SPDIF. It would need a
    few patch slots to assign models and tunings only.
    This will never happen though, as there
    would be a very limited market for such a device.
    I shall ponder the options as I manually select models and tunings at the moment so it's not a necessity to change. The thread just got me thinking about having everything reset at the touch of a button. Which would save valuable seconds during gigs,
    thus improving song transitions.
    I suppose I'd have one more power lead, two midi cables and a SPDIF cable to plug in. So two more mins to set up and break down.
    If a pod comes up really cheap I might give it a go and see if it's really that much better as MBK claims in his first post.
    Cheers for now.
    Pre-Amp