Questions About Rig Exchange

• Sarcasm? ;) That's what the winky guy is for.

Let me be clear- I have no desire or intention to use anyone's pofiles without permission or share commercial profiles in any way, shape or form.

That's why my initial suggestion is to have this go through the rig exchange in some way so there is some way to police it.

Just kicking ideas around.

• I hate to be that guy, but I do believe that Re\RM should allow to upload\download\manage presets (including cabs) as well.
    This would be the definitive (and cleanest) solution IMO.

You see\manage presets in RM, and a function allows you to immediately send it to RE.

• I think I understand the concept of just having the amp profiles up in one place. There are so many to begin with and I get it, that this is about capturing all of those glorious hard to find and hard to afford amps.

I'm suggesting there is a separate place to share edits of those amps and FX for a song patch library.

Any ideas on how to do this and protect authors and commercial rigs?

• Any ideas on how to do this and protect authors and commercial rigs?

I don't think that Kemper would allow this on their platform. Preventing any possibility for abuse has nothing to do with paranoia.
    The producer of good profiles are important fellows for the Kemper and a part of their success.

You have already indicated a solution .
    It needs a network completely separate from Kemper.
    A communication here about, when it is established, is probably also not in the sense of the forum operators.

• Cant understand that we can not upload a tweaked rig. This would be very cool for users, because i have met so many kpa users who are not so deep in tweaking and those guys have bought the kpa to match the sound of an amp to a tune. That is mostly expected and those guys are dissapointed when they dont find the sound of a tune on re. Have a look at jam up. There you can share hundreds of tweaked rigs which you create with jam up. Easy going.
    Whats the main problem? Is it only that kemper dont like that we share tweaked rigs or is there a copyright behind it (exept commercial profiles)?

I give a+1 for sharing tweaked free rigs.

• Cant understand that we can not upload a tweaked rig. This would be very cool for users, because i have met so many kpa users who are not so deep in tweaking and those guys have bought the kpa to match the sound of an amp to a tune.

You are absolutely right. It would be great for all users.
    At first I liked this idea very fond. Throughout this discussion I thought about something.
    Although the rigs are free available for us at RE, they are still subject of Copy right for intellectual property.
    These rigs are provided only a limited group of people (members) and are additionally protected by the Forum Rules, in a sense.
    To allow editing and republishing would effect the copy right of all persons who already has uploaded or will do it.

An additional comment in the Rigs like "free for editing and republishing in RE" from the author could solve this topic. This caused a small change in the upload procedure and the control system by Kemper.

The best ideas at the moment to transfer tweaking know how I found here from Gianfranco and nightlight.
    Another way could be to publish effect list and the values of the parameter.

• IMHO opening up RE for tweaked alterations of already existing rigs would multiply what's already available on RE.
    This would lead to a kind of platform similar to Line 6's customtone etc. where everybody who turned a knob on a profile would feel inclined to upload.
    The quality would inevitably go down.
    At the moment strictly speaking only profilers, i.e. people attempting to capture the soul of their amp, are allowed to upload rigs to RE.
    This is a good thing IMO because it keeps the content of RE in a certain 'range of quality' (although the quality differs widely on RE as well, as we all know) or range of premises.
    I see the value in an additional platform where users could share rigs/FX settings of course.
    But the RE is not the right place for this IMO.

• What if there was a limit to the amount of rigs per song title and you had to hit a certain ranking to stay on the list? Say 10 rigs for Eruption? That should be more than enough to choose from and would keep things under control.

I still think of it like tabs on Ultimate Guitar, the ones with the highest rankings rise to the top.

If you are a shitty programmer and your uploads don't get any notice, you'll eventually give up or get better.

I think natural selection would keep the numbers down and the quality of the highest ranked rigs would be outstanding.

• I think it might be more appropriate to reach out to the Commercial Vendors and see if any of them would do it on their own site for their own rigs for their own customers. Andy (TAF) has his own forum so IN THEORY it might be something he would be able to pull off. Not sure how he would feel about having to manage the logistics (i.e. only users of Pack X have access to Pack X rig tweak sharing area) but I assume if there were enough customers who showed interest, it might parlay into something that could show an ROI when customers bought additional rig packs for access to other sharing areas.

Honestly in thinking it through it sounds like a pain in the ass.

• If Kemper was serious about protecting creators and enabling sharing, they could build some level of rights management into the profiling process. When the profile gets uploaded to RE via RM, it's tagged by it's creator and once tagged, those tags cannot be removed. Those tags indicate what permissions are granted to the users of that profile: (re)uploaded, adding FX, altering FX, upload with FX changes only, upload w/amp changes allowed, etc. You could even have a permission that allowed a profile to be previewed in RM but not saved to the Toaster, allowing commercial packs to be previewed in RM. When a profile is uploaded, it could be tagged as an "Amp" profile (like we currently have) or "Artist" profile (for rigs meant to emulate a particular artist or song).

When a profile is re-shared, it can have a new Rig name , but it should always carry the original RIG name, and that can be shown in a field labeled "base rig" so new users can always find the original creator.

This is not a difficult problem. It's just a matter of will power.

• I played with some Line 6 gear a few years ago and thought their CustomTone area was outstanding. I could type in almost any genre, song or artist and several different rigs would come up to choose from. I didn't think they sounded that great but they were as close to those original tones as you could get with the equipment involved. I assumed the Rig Exchange would be very similar and was a little disappointed, I couldn't even find a single surf guitar profile. But yeah, with 7000+ free profiles I shouldn't complain

I agree though, it would be too overwhelming to flood the RE with duplicate profiles at different settings/effects. If there could be an easy way to share these, that would be great. There are times when I want to take the time and deep edit sounds and other times where I'd like to just turn on the Kemper, type in "Aces High" and just shred without too much tone searching.

• First off you would have to be a registered owner to even upload to the desired location which would limit the amount of input immensely. Another side of not being able to share tweaked rigs as suggested is....... What about morphed rigs, guess we can't share those either and I was definitely looking forward to trying other users creative inventions with that new feature.

Maybe with new uploads to RE the creator could also have a checkbox that releases permission to other users for tweaking and uploading.

• This is not a difficult problem. It's just a matter of will power.

I think it's a matter of consistent and intelligently voiced demand, I am brand new to this and I am sure there are long time users who have similar interests and need. Just have to debate and discuss what works best for everyone.

I think there should be a separate area on RE or some other solution with serious protections in place so there is no theft or abuse.