how do i overwrite an existing preset?

• In deed, when storing Presets (no Rigs and no Performances) there is no Store As/Replace/Rename selection, it always does Store As.

And one reason is, that it is not always obvious, what the last Preset is and if your current state is logically still linked to it. Example: You load a Rig including an Amp A, then you load an Amp Preset with an Amp B followed by a Stack Preset including an Amp C. Later you focus on the Amp Module again and store a Preset. Should now Amp C overwrite the Preset including Amp B and is the user aware of this consequence? Or you load an Effect Preset of a Wah in Module C and store the Rig with it, then you change Rigs, later you come back and change the Effect Type into a Booster and change its parameters. Or you even locked the Stomps Section in the meantime. If you now store a Preset of Module C, are you aware, that you might be overwriting a Wah Preset with a completely different effect? I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is not always that straight forward and obvious.

How many different Output Presets do you have? 5? What the practical impact of not having a replace function for those?

Hi Burkhard, this isn't just about Output Presets - if it were, your example and questions would be valid. Its about almost all presets. Let me give you some examples.

I prefer to have 'standard' stomps and effects that I can apply across any rigs (amps) in the way I set up my performances. So, lets say I do this:

1) Green Scream: I tweak a Green Scream and save it as GS1
    2) Chorus: I tweak a Chorus and save it as CH1
    3) Phaser: I tweak a Phaser and save it as PH1
    4) Auto-Wah: I tweak and save as AW1
    5) Flanger: I tweak a Flanger and save it as FL1
    6) Studio EQ: I tweak a Studio EQ and save it as SEQ1
    7) Delay: I tweak a Delay and save it as Delay1
    8) Reverb: I tweak a reverb and save it as REV1

8) I bring GS1, CH1, AW1 and PH1 into my stomp section (1, 2, 3, 4 or whatever). I then save my stomp section as PedalBoard1
    9) I bring the FL1 into the Mod slot, studio SEQ1 into the X slot, Delay1 into Delay and REV1 into Reverb. I save my effect section as PedalBoard2

I then create 5 Performances. AC30, Twin Reverb, Dumble Overdrive, Amp X, Amp y. Each rig going from left to right starts from clean and increases in gain. I then go to each rig, bring in PedalBoard1 and PedalBoard2 and save the performance.

I now have 5 Performances that utilize both PedalBoards.

What happens if I want to tweak the Phaser and the Studio EQ and have those tweaks show up in both Pedalboards in all 25 rigs? I have to repeat the whole thing over again AND, thanks to SteveH's helpful hint, delete the previous versions. Only thing is, how do I know which one is which? there is no date stamp? Can I assume that PH1 higher in the list than PH1 is the older version? What if I got sloppy and saved five versions of PH1? Sure I can save a PH2 but I still have to bring it into 25 pedalboards on 25 rigs.

Thats example 1. Please let me know if you need another.

• At the risk of beating a dead horse...

There is a concept in printing and web development: create once, use many. (or something like that). If I have a page layout program and I am creating a 64 page magazine and I want to have a footer on the page that shows my company logo, I don't create 64 versions of the logo and place them separately. The page layout program is smart enough that I only need one version of the logo that it goes to and displays and prints. If I tweak that logo, I only have to tweak it once and it shows up on every page as it should. Same with web development. On this web site, there should only be the one version of the Kemper logo in the upper right. No matter what page I go to, if there is a Kemper logo in the upper right, it should be pointing to the same file. You shouldn't have to have 50 versions of the exact same logo for 50 different files.

I hope that helps.

• @flyingheelhook

Wouldn't it be much easier for your application just to lock the Stomps and the Effects Sections? I understand, at the end of your tweaking process these two Sections are shared and identical between all your 5 Performances. Why not just locking these, tweak whatever you like whenever you like, and it will immediately affect all Slots in all 5 Performances. Not even required to store and load anything nor involve any Presets.

Let's stick to the example of your Flanger Preset FL1. You load that Preset into a Module of Rig A. You increase its Rate and Depth a bit. You would probably expect, it's still that Preset FL1, which you then might want to replace. But what if you change its Type from Flanger to Flanger Oneway. Is it then still logically linked to FL1? Or if you change the Type from Flanger to Phaser - while all other parameters stay the same - is it then still logically linked to FL1? Or is the relation to the Preset broken as soon as the parameter Type is changed in an effect? Should this relation to the source Preset be memorized when you load another Rig and return later? What if the Preset has been deleted in the meantime? Let's assume you have a Rig and its EQ effect in Module D originates from a Preset A. But currently Module D is locked with a Wah effect, which originates from a Preset X. If you now store that effect, which Preset should be replaced?

I'm not saying the handling in these cases could not be defined, but I'm afraid it could become quite confusing for users..

• Well, because thanks to the versatility and options available, in order to utilize them in the manner that has evolved as most appropriate for me and the music that I play, I really need MORE than just two pedal boards to set it up the way I really want. That means I can't just lock the sections. If that would work for me, I would have dropped this subject a long time ago. Given the vision I have, I would probably have about 5 Sets of the 5 Performances, each having their own PedalBoardX and PedalBoardY. That would give me the flexibility and versatility to switch to the Amp & Pedalboard configurations I need on the fly, without having to predetermine and set up Performances that are song-specific.

I am not sure I clearly understand your questions, but I honestly have not had the need to explore the connection between transferring parameters between effects when you change the Type - for me that has not really arisen as a necessary functionality as in the two plus years I have owned the Kemper now. So no, it would not be logically linked to FL1 since the type has been changed. If I had a traditional pedalboard and swapped out a pedal, I would not expect the new pedal to be set to the same parameters of the previous.

I don't know if you read my follow up post yet, but I think that basically explains the premise. If I delete an image that is linked in my page layout or web layout program, that image is deleted in all places I placed it. I would expect the same behavior. If I color correct or photoshop that image, those changes show up in all places I have used that image. Does that help?

• If you have to change them every time you use them, why do you then even store them every time?

Maybe you see some work flow that I don't know yet. But I want to keep refining my presets. As that not normal? I'm surprised we have to discuss not allowing multiple presets with the same name?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Oh my, I thing things got overly complex in this thread...

If we can assign a name to a stored set of data (preset, rig, whatever), that name is obviously meant to allow distinction of different sets of data. I fail to find a reason to have the same name, in the same location, represent different sets of data. On the other hand, I remember many bad consequences of not being able to distinguish sets. So I think, we should be able to overwrite presets.

francisco jent - 2 powered toasters & 1 remote