NEW - 2nd generation Scarlett Range

• I've always heard a lot of good stuff about the Scarlett range. I wonder what the price point will be on these new interfaces.

That said, I've heard the Clarett range is really, really good. And a great price. The mic pres, in particular, are supposed to be outstanding.

https://us.focusrite.com/thund…-interfaces/clarett-8prex

If I was looking at a Focusrite interface, this would be the one I would be gunning for.

Of course, it is Thunderbolt. But it has a couple of cool features like built in ISA mic pres for all the inputs, and also a much needed word clock input if you are in a professional environment. Also comes with a bunch of plugins, though I have absolutely no idea of plugins and my views on this should be discounted :P

These things won't matter if you have your own mic pres and plugins. Roundtrip latency is as low as 1.67 ms.

• I haven't tried the Clarett - but if I had a PC with Thunderbolt I would have gone for the Clarett (much more expensive than the Scarlett though). I have heard nothing but praise for the Clarett range.

The 2nd gen Scarlett comes at the same price range as the first gen - really cool move.

I've been through a dozen USB interfaces the last few months. Started with a 6i6 Scarlett and wanted something more "high end"... so went through a few of those fancy USB interfaces - and in the end returned to the Scarlett range (18i8 1st gen currently)... IMO, they offer the best package at a great price - hard to beat.

Every other high end interface had some annoyance I could not live with (eg no power switch, no master output, no SPdif, not enough output juice, crappy drivers, you could not bypass the preamps on some when sending your KPA through it...). The Scarlett range has done everything right!
    Thank god for the Thomann 30-day-money back thingy...

• I take it these are still USB 2?

I'm on my 2nd ever Focusrite interface and I've had it a few years now. It's FireWire. I dabbled with a Native Instruments USB interface 3 or 4 years back and, on the PC I had at the time, it was a complete nightmare in terms of clicks / pops/ random noises but FireWire on the same PC was just fine.

I bought a new PC almost 3 years ago and stuck with FireWire. No issues to speak of and I really like Focusrite as, when I have had any minor problems, the U.K. tech support line has been superb. For this reason I'd gladly buy another Focusrite but, if these are USB 2 only in a world going 3? Just wondering why.

the thing that would certainly be attractive to me is the simplified mix software...... We all use daws these days with complex routing options and TBH the Focusrite mix panel on my sapphire makes my head hurt. I could throw time at learning to use it but frankly my needs are very simple and it is trying to appeal to people who have much more ability / many more demands than me! The pics of the new interface look good :)

• The new models can operate at 192KHz! That's great for real-time monitoring with VST plugin effects in the signal chain.

I'm all about low latency, and I still wish the Kemper could drive SPDIF at 96/192KHz.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• @schneidas, any experience with RME? What annoyances have you experienced with them? That's the hi-quality brand I'm currently considering.

:)

PS: Weird, I just found that the 6i has got 4 analog output lines, while the 8i has got only two 8o

• @viabcroce - no my budget wasn't quite that high to go for an RME.
    But if it was in that region, I would have gone for either a Presonus Studio 192 mobile (which seems perfect from its specs from every point in my book), an UAD Apollo Twin USB Duo or the RME Babyface pro or Fireface UC.

• @viabcroce - After I had bad experiences with drivers from both M-Audio and Tascam I did some research on each manufacturers track record for each plattform, and in my case Mac OSX.
    RME have great reputation, but I also noticed that they (at the time, might have changed) were quite Windows focused. New features always came to windows first, fixes for their mac drivers always came weeks/months after OS releases (there is a reason why developer gets beta releases months ahead!).
    Focusrite had also great reputation and seems to be more Mac focused so that sealed the deal for me. No problem what so ever since I got my Pro 40 in 2009, I'd buy from them again if it broke down tomorrow...

So my advice is to check their reputation on the driver side for Your plattform of choice. It doesn't matter how good the hardware is if the drivers stop working after a system update or stops supporting after a couple of years...

• So my advice is to check their reputation on the driver side for Your plattform of choice. It doesn't matter how good the hardware is if the drivers stop working after a system update or stops supporting after a couple of years...

Thanks Janne, appreciate it :)
    Support stopping is definitely not in RME's line tho, they also support with new drivers their obsolete products...
    OTOH, the difference in quality and technology Vs. Focusrite is night and day for what I gathered... and prices vary accordingly. I can't put them in the same basket.

Is this a different version than the Scarlett 18i8 I just bought last month?

The new products seem to have been just announced, not yet available.
    Don't worry, if your interface does what you need and sound in a way you like... I see no issue! New products continuously come out...

• @viabcroce - no my budget wasn't quite that high to go for an RME.
    But if it was in that region, I would have gone for either a Presonus Studio 192 mobile (which seems perfect from its specs from every point in my book), an UAD Apollo Twin USB Duo or the RME Babyface pro or Fireface UC.

Got it Chris :)
    You mention of "high-End" had just misled me :D

• Gianfranco, one man's crap is another man's high-end :D

No you're right of course. I shouldn't have used that term for my budget.
    I had allowed me a budget of up to €600 for a new interface... tried Audient, Zoom, Tascam, Roland, SPL, ESI, Steinberg and MOTU... only to realize I had it right in the first place (regarding price vs quality ratio) and go back to Focusrite. :P

• Is this a different version than the Scarlett 18i8 I just bought last month? Damn it!

Actually, that's the one I'm using currently as well - the 18i8 1st gen! I also bought it like a month ago. A fine interface! Don't worry - if you're in a psychologically good mental state (unlike me!) and you don't need to constantly have the newest stuff - then you're fine!
    They only just came out with the 2nd gen of cards - they will be available mid June. Just a few minor (but nice to have) upgrades to those new interfaces...