Tips on leveling volume across patches?

• Just had my first gig with the Kemper in my new project and some of the patches were different volumes, none of my leads were loud enough even though I thought I raised them quite a bit at rehearsal etc. Anyone if anyone can share tips and tricks on how they level out the volumes of their patches quickly and easily I'd greatly appreciated it! Thanks!

• I can tell you my way - All ways leads to rom, but you need to go anyway
    The first adjustment for the rig volume I make at home with a phon meter (and ear). I have one clean and one dist. rig for reference. (The clean I adjust a little quiter) If its a solo rig I add 3-5 db after this setting.
    The second adjustment I do while rehearsal by ear.
    The third adjustment I can do after a gig if necessary.
    I use my volume Pedal as booster. (post effects, value +3)
    During a Gig I can boost if it's to quite and I can reduce loudness by playing or guitar vol. knob or rig volume knob if neccesary. (I notice the rig for editing later)
    I would say this is a recursive process and it becomes better with every Gig.

I try to set the Volume in the amp section so the rig volume Poti are still at 12 o' clock.
    If a song is quiter and I use this Rig also for louder songs I set the loudness for the quite song and add a pur boost after the effect section.

Edited 2 times, last by Sharry ().

• I have played with tubeamps with solo level/boost! that is the best solution for me, that dont use a volumepedal! I realy miss this! With solo level you always be herd on your solos.. now I make two paralell rigs one for rythm/normal play and one with raised rig volume for solos.. I have boost (pure booster) on some clean rigs, but I like the tone better vith raised rigvolume in most cases..

• As all the factory rigs are levelled already in an excellent way, I use a handful of them to level against anything else.
    Your ears will be by far the best instrument to achieve this.
    Just make sure you do it at levels that approximate your use case.
    It doesn't make sense to level rigs at bedroom level.

• I personally use the amp volume sometimes up to -9 db or more ( on AMP menu , CAB volume on previous firmware) , I use the dB meter from my DAW to adjust all rigs to around -6 dB

That leaves the main volume (the one after the main EQ) on 12 o clock (so -6 dB) , this way everybody can adjust it.

If I have to adjust all rig for a PA , I'll use the main volume in the OUTPUT/MASTER

• I was just searching for an answer on how to best leveling the individual volumes across different profiles and found this thread.

What I was wandering about in the first place: Is there a difference between the volume knob on the front panel of the KPA and the volume setting in the Amp Module (Stack Section)? Does it matter which one I use, when I want to lower the volume of a rig that is to loud compared to the other rigs in my KPA?

Edited 2 times, last by MaFaDiC ().

• I was just searching for an answer on how to best leveling the individual volumes across different profiles and found this thread.

What I was wandering about in the first place: Is there a difference between the volume knob on the front panel of the KPA and the volume setting in the Amp Module (Stack Section)? Does it matter which one I use, when I want to lower the volume of a rig that is to loud compared to the other rigs in my KPA?

Anyone?

• The Rig volume is positioned at the end of the signal chain.

The Amp volume is likely positioned earlier in the chain - before the X, MOD, DLY and REV slots.

Ok, thank you very much! Then I suppose the volume in the amp module is rather the way to go when levelling the volume between different profiles.

• As all the factory rigs are levelled already in an excellent way,

Not sure about that :)

I plugged in my brand new KPA to my cabs and started playing through the factory rigs - using the first few to set up an overall live type volume via my power amp input attenuators .... then I hit up another rig and it came out like standing beside a aircraft jet engine ...... after the dust had settled I had ringing ears for a day!

• Not sure about that :)
    I plugged in my brand new KPA to my cabs and started playing through the factory rigs - using the first few to set up an overall live type volume via my power amp input attenuators .... then I hit up another rig and it came out like standing beside a aircraft jet engine ...... after the dust had settled I had ringing ears for a day!

Check your clean sens settings first.

• If you have it ran into a mixer you can use both your ears and the VU meter to see if you have consistency in leveling the volume. I'm with Paul on using the Rig volume for adjustment. Once you find your base profiles you can use that and adjust the others as you like.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• Ah ..... thanks for that ..... will get the popcorn out and definitely subscribe to that channel :)

I sort of have learned the volume levelling 'pain' and FM phenomena as I also own an AxeFx ..... I think the bottom line is same as with any new guitar amplification system ..... you always need to tweak a little for the first few gigs but it all comes together eventually!

• Ah ..... thanks for that ..... will get the popcorn out and definitely subscribe to that channel :)

I sort of have learned the volume levelling 'pain' and FM phenomena as I also own an AxeFx ..... I think the bottom line is same as with any new guitar amplification system ..... you always need to tweak a little for the first few gigs but it all comes together eventually!

Welcme! He's got some cool things which I just got reminded of in another post. Check out his Tom Petty tweaks which he's giving away free and did one each day this week. If you're into that sound ^^

• I use my previous performances as reference for volume level. When I set up a new rig and think I'm in the ballpark (usually solo is about +3db), I set up a Pure booster of -2db and one of +2db on the stomps for the first gig or so, if I have a surprise at the gig when switching to a patch (too loud/too quiet), I activate the respective stomp. When I get back home, I re-adjust the rig volume, rinse and repeat at the next gig until they are perfectly balanced, then that becomes my new reference performance. This saved my ass more often than my volume pedal.