Muse Research Receptor

• I had never heard about these devices till today. As someone who is loathe to carry around a laptop at a gig, I have always felt like I was missing out on being able to get VST quality sounds.

This is a device that specifically addresses those concerns: you can directly load VSTs on to it and even effect plugins. Think about it, studio quality delays and reverbs with the Kemper.

Alternatively, if you're into synth sounds, you could run spectra sonics omnisphere at your gigs. Or Trillian. Or if you need a backup for your Kemper, Amplitube or Guitar Rig or Revalver.

and... It has been Discontinued! Very difficult to find one online for sale even.

My curiousity was intensely piqued, so I did some searching and found a used one for a pretty good price. Will let you guys know what I think when I get it at home.

• Lol, in 2005, I got my GT-8. Something like this was never on my horizon due to the price.

These units are much more expensive than a laptop with comparable specs. So it's not surprising they have been discontinued. They're even more expensive than the Axe FX.

Was actually researching something for synthesisers when I stumbled across this.

• The folks at Muse had a great idea, but it never really caught on, probably for various reasons. As someone mentioned, it's hard to justify using a Muse Receptor over using a laptop on stage. The main claim for the Receptor units were reliability and ease of use, which initially was true when compared to laptops, but then laptop hardware and their operating systems became much more reliable and stable, which kind of took away the reason for having a Receptor. Couple this with the fact that many of the VST's that lived happily on laptops, didn't work so well (if at all) on the Receptor, and it was probably just a matter of time for the Receptor. Hopefully they find another outlet for their technology. In the right hardware, it would probably be a great idea.

• The folks at Muse had a great idea, but it never really caught on, probably for various reasons. As someone mentioned, it's hard to justify using a Muse Receptor over using a laptop on stage. The main claim for the Receptor units were reliability and ease of use, which initially was true when compared to laptops, but then laptop hardware and their operating systems became much more reliable and stable, which kind of took away the reason for having a Receptor. Couple this with the fact that many of the VST's that lived happily on laptops, didn't work so well (if at all) on the Receptor, and it was probably just a matter of time for the Receptor. Hopefully they find another outlet for their technology. In the right hardware, it would probably be a great idea.

Yeah, I'm thinking that a touch-screen interface or at least something less akin to painting one's house through a letter-box door slot when editing might be an idea for starters...

Thanks for the inputs. I caught on to this stuff after I paid for it. And then it turns out that the company only ships to confirmed paypal addresses, which means the US, UK, or Canada.

Turned out to be a fortunate turn of events, since they returned my money. Would have served me right if this thing wound up on my doorstep, but I lucked out. The company even shut down all of their support services in May, it would have been crazy to get one of these repaired.