Retracting my post regarding price.

• In 3 days maybe we have to see that the English Channel is in minimum as wide as the Atlantic. In this case Britain is probably another continent and we have to deduct 13. :whistling::D

• ... from 77, which would still leave 64 Europeans.

Gee, I thought there were more Poms (Aussie for Brits), roughly the same number as there were Yanks, but obviously more-concentrated due to geography.

Hmm... definitely a lot o' Yanks. Great brah! Booyah!

In South Africa now...... just take the dollar cost of the Kemper and multiply it by 15. Our buying power is nearly the same as the US but the exchange rate for foreign goods is horrendous. Glad I bought in the beginning :)

I know. It's a bloody disgrace what's happened to the country since I left, mate.

• When you all say yanks are you referring to people in the more northern states of the U.S. or all of them? To us ,here, yanks mean people who live in the northern states while the southern states are rednecks or hillbillies.

• When you all say yanks are you referring to people in the more northern states of the U.S. or all of them? To us ,here, yanks mean people who live in the northern states while the southern states are rednecks or hillbillies.

Yanks is a term used by most people outside the USA to indicate people whole live in the USA. Yankees are people who lived in the Northern United States 155 years ago during the US Civil War (as in Yankees and Rebels)... Generally, Rednecks and Hillbillies are a Racist term used by anyone...

• As I remember my history, "Yankee" came originally from the preponderance if Dutch in NY. The British settlers in the area used it as a slur against the Dutch, calling them "Jan Kaas", or "Johnny Cheese" in translation. It eventually stuck as a slur for any non-royalist in the region. So my question is, do the Dutch call Americans "yanks"? :D

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

Yeah, I'd say most Aussies, just as elsewhere in the world these days, aren't aware of the Yankees / Rebels thing. Sad, really.

All I do know is that down here, you're Yanks. There's nothing derogatory about it of course; shortening terms and nicknames are a big part of Aussie tradition.

• Yeah, I'd say most Aussies, just as elsewhere in the world these days, aren't aware of the Yankees / Rebels thing. Sad, really.

All I do know is that down here, you're Yanks. There's nothing derogatory about it of course; shortening terms and nicknames are a big part of Aussie tradition.

Yeah, the terms Redneck and Hillbilly didn't start out derogatory. Redneck was given to people in the Southern states because they were mostly farmers and from working out in the sun all day, they had red necks. Similar, Hillbillies were people that lived secluded (more or less) in the mountain regions. But, over the years their terms have come to mean ignorant and lazy type people. It's ironic since farmers are some of the most hard working people you can find. They normally work sun up to sun down, every day of the week. Physically, I'm located in the "North" and I shake my head when I hear someone referred to as a "Redneck" when the person using the term is actually the ignorant one!

• This. My uncle and cousin still work a farm that was originally settled by my great, great grandfather before the civil war. They work on that damn farm every. single. day. before the sun rises and until after the sun sets. Respect.

I guess guys from Australia consider almost everybody "northern" ;)

90% of the game is half-mental.

• Yeah, the terms Redneck and Hillbilly didn't start out derogatory. Redneck was given to people in the Southern states because they were mostly farmers and from working out in the sun all day, they had red necks. Similar, Hillbillies were people that lived secluded (more or less) in the mountain regions. But, over the years their terms have come to mean ignorant and lazy type people. It's ironic since farmers are some of the most hard working people you can find. They normally work sun up to sun down, every day of the week. Physically, I'm located in the "North" and I shake my head when I hear someone referred to as a "Redneck" when the person using the term is actually the ignorant one!

100%

Sometimes farmers playing Kemper with Chi-Wah-Wah. 8|

Too funny, Kulle. :D

I sold my first Variax to a farmer; he'd driven inter-state to pick it up, which in Australia is always a long way. I love farmers. Salt-of-the-earth folk, and commensurately wise.

I guess guys from Australia consider almost everybody "northern" ;)

Clever Dick.

You Northerners are all smart-arses. :D

• Too funny, Kulle. :D

I sold my first Variax to a farmer; he'd driven inter-state to pick it up, which in Australia is always a long way. I love farmers. Salt-of-the-earth folk, and commensurately wise.

I'm not a farmer (pooooh :whistling: ), but I'm with you. I heard Australia has such long roads that sometimes people didn't arrives... :/
    What is "commensurately" ? I never heard that.

• What is "commensurately" ? I never heard that.

Oh that Monkey_Man. He really pushes the English language envelope :P I believe he means "proportionally". I think he used it correctly (not that I'm an English major) but I've never seen the word "commensurate" used as an adverb before... Maybe it's an Aussie thing ;)

• What's an adverb? The whole of Australia wants to know! Actually, it couldn't give two hoots, and it shows! :D

You're correct of course, dpeters95, but it's a tiny-bit different from "proportionally". Proportionally to something simply means "in equal measure", whereas "commensurate/ly" implies a causal relationship between the two things being compared. In this case, I suggested that his being a "salt-of-the-earth" bloke and living on the land, working hard 'n all, would've fostered (fed, lead to) a certain wisdom that the average city-dweller wouldn't have a clue about.

Another common use for the term is, for instance, to say that someone responded with commensurate force / kindness or whatever to a situation. In this case, the response isn't actually caused by whatever the action or situation was, but it's intended as a response, so it's a causal sort of action, which is why I described the meaning that way. It's always a response, on some level, to an initial action, situation, set of data or whatever, and yes, it's, more than merely proportionate in stature, most-often befitting of the situation.

I'm not a farmer (pooooh :whistling: ), but I'm with you. I heard Australia has such long roads that sometimes people didn't arrives... :/
    What is "commensurately" ? I never heard that.

See above. Hope it made sense bud.

• See above. Hope it made sense bud.

Eeeermmmm... should be if I could understand. 8o
    No, no... its ok. I understand it in prinzip.
    And now continue with deepening English Lesson 17! We are Europeans. :D

• Nooooo.... not a Monkey-English™ lesson!

I didn't even cover every aspect of that last one, Kulle, but you'll be glad to know I ran out of steam!

You non-native English speakers here on the forum do an excellent job of communicating, I think. Well done!

• I just moved north from Florida, I can tell you the term redneck is evolved to a term that does not have a racial undercurrent to it. Back in the day it did, but slang is constantly evolving in the u.s. About 10, 15 years ago a rapper, one day, named "Little Wayne" referred to jewelry as "bling bling" in an interview and years later it has included itself in American everyday language and in the dictionary as well. WEIRD! There are really only one racial term that is truly taboo here and that is the n word. Im sure you all know what that means? I am not a big fan of a lot of the culture in my country. Its shallow and lacking integrity often , its like " here today, gone later today" but its part of the U.S. and its my country, if you wanna know of a place in the U.S that's filled with racial wars on the street and worse its L.A. Califorinia ,known as the mental health mecca of the universe. Sometimes Yanks here is referred to the New York yankees baseball team.
    I wanna go to Australia for surfing, but here on the history channel Australia is shown as DEADLY animals everywhere , Sharks, snakes like the inland taipan, Salt crocodiles, spiders, jelly fish, blue ring octopus, boxing kangaroos (how do you all survive, y'all must be fucking tough.!!!!)ha ha.
    Anyway does anyone know where I could get a used KPA remote.