• I don`t use with bass songs, so I cannot tell so much about that feature, but here´s a link to a thread from a member, explaining how to create a "with Bass" drum set: http://mybeatbuddy.com/forum/i…s-bb-songs-on-a-mac.4896/

There are some Kits including bass already, but as far as i understand, there are some compromises, since the BB does not use Midi off notes (atm), but by the permanent improvement, I think it is only a question of time (IMO). But as I said, I am not so sure about that thing, if you are really interested, please ask in the BB Forum...

• Hi @viabcroce,

Yes, you can import & assemble your own (or any) drum midi file & assign it to way-format (24bit) drum samples (which you can also create & import yourself) in up to 18 velocities ... I had the Trio+ borrowed from a mate and although the the bass feature in the Trio is nice, if you - like me - are only interested in great, realistic drum sounds - the sound quality of the drum sounds in the BeatBuddy is superior to the Trio IMHO ... as I have a Boomerang III looper synced with the BeatBuddy, there is no need for a looper :)

Cheers,
    Wolf

• What did you not like specifically Ingo? Did you hear the Mini or the standard one? Sound quality is rather different.

I heard the standard one. Personally I wasn't thrilled about the sound and found the Trio+ much more suitable for my needs.
    I guess it's a preference thing.

• When I was buying the BeatBuddy I was also interrested in the Trio, but the lack of Midi synced timing was a no go for me, but the trio seems to be also much fun. And since I am mostly playing with looper, the BB is my fav...

• From what I could figure out, these two pedals have very different uses.

The Beat Buddy requires you to do some planning ahead of playing, i.e. decide on what beat, what fills, etc.

The Trio+ is more suited to on the fly jamming, i.e. just play and it will pick a beat that suits what you are playing.

What I see with the Beat Buddy is that you could have drums that play according to how you imagined a song in your head. With the Trio+, it is very much what the machine believes is the sound in your head.

I'd definitely pick the Beat Buddy over the Trio if I planned to use this device live. But if I just wanted to jam, I would use the Trio+.

At the same time, why control canned drums? Why not just use a regular drum machine? I have a Zoom RT-223, a really old drum machine. It has a song mode like the Beat Buddy. Granted, it does not have a foot switch, but if you tap on a pad, it takes you to a different drum beat or a fill. What's more, there are way more fills/beats you could access, because there are more pads, rather than just two or three buttons.

• I concur with Nightlight,the trio and beatbuddy are two completely different beasts. The Trio is a great jamming tool on the fly but I wouldn't gig with it. The Beatbuddy on the other hand is a great way of having any drum sound you want in any style you want with a bit of on the fly variation and drumfills and most importantly it has midi in and out and you control it with your foot.
    This means I can send midi clock from the BB to midi in on the Kemper so my guitar echoes are in time with the drums(fantastic),then midi thru on the Kemper to midi in on voicelive 3 pedals so the vocal echoes
    and looper are in time too(oh yes). Then I've an Electroharmonix C-9 providing the bottom end ,a Mel-9 providing the ethereals,its a huge sound.
    Beatbuddy is a great tool if you're prepared to put your own stamp on it,Trio is great for having instant fun.

• The Trio+ is more suited to on the fly jamming, i.e. just play and it will pick a beat that suits what you are playing.

I'd definitely pick the Beat Buddy over the Trio if I planned to use this device live.

Well, you can totally pre-program the Trio+ as well, with songs and their different parts, plus you can still make real-time adjustments with the FS-3X footswitch.
    Not to forget the looper for a fuller arrangement with more guitars.

• That sounds promising, Ingolf. How do you store information on the Trio+, as wavs or midi? And does it have in-built memory or can you put in an SD card?

I was basing my statement on the videos I have seen (don't own one), particularly the fact that in most videos they play a riff first and the backing track starts afterward. That would be a bit hard to use live, though it seemed like a great jamming tool.

• That sounds promising, Ingolf. How do you store information on the Trio+, as wavs or midi? And does it have in-built memory or can you put in an SD card?

I was basing my statement on the videos I have seen (don't own one), particularly the fact that in most videos they play a riff first and the backing track starts afterward. That would be a bit hard to use live, though it seemed like a great jamming tool.

There's an SD card which you also can transfer to your computer if you want to work with the data in your DAW.
    The information gets stored as wavs I believe.
    Of course the vids show how you build an arrangement from scratch, but as I said, you can make the Trio+ play preconfigured songs as well, with count-in, at the press of a button.

• Also, anyone with a BeatBuddy, can I send midi out from the device to control an external drum machine or a VST? Or is the midi out only for beat syncing?

After some reading, I guess this is not possible. Sad.

There's an SD card which you also can transfer to your computer if you want to work with the data in your DAW.
    The information gets stored as wavs I believe.
    Of course the vids show how you build an arrangement from scratch, but as I said, you can make the Trio+ play preconfigured songs as well, with count-in, at the press of a button.

Thanks for the info.

So basically there's a pre-count where the Trio will assess the wav file and then add backing parts and start to play?

What happens if it is a longer backing track? And what if I want to change to another riff after a section?

• What happens if it is a longer backing track? And what if I want to change to another riff after a section?

Well, the Trio+ Is organised in songs and parts.
    It can store up to 12 songs, and each of them can contain upto 5 parts (like intro, verse, chorus, middle 8, solo, outro, for example.
    Theoretically, any part can be as long as there is SD storage available.
    That said, you have 2 options.
    Within a song, you can pre- program the sequence that the Trio+ will play, e.g. 2x part one, 1 x part two, 2x part one,1 x part three, and so on.
    This way any song that you have programmed will run through from beginning to end.
    The other option:
    With the optional FS- 3X footswitch you can manually switch through parts as well within a song.
    you become very flexible this way.
    I recommend you download the manual from Digitech. ;)

• Reading another manual right now and was looking for a short cut to RTFM, haha! Sorry about that!

Sorry to pick your brain, but why only 12 songs? And why only five parts? Seems like an unnecessary restriction given that you are using your own SD card.

For someone with the Beat Buddy: does the Beat Buddy have a similar limitation to how many songs you can have? I went through the entire manual and it doesn't explicitly state anywhere how many songs you can have in a project, though it does say you can only load one project at a time.

• Sorry to pick your brain, but why only 12 songs? And why only five parts? Seems like an unnecessary restriction given that you are using your own SD card.

This is how the Trio+ is organised as hardware with dedicated buttons. 12 songs à 5 parts.
    C'mon, you can get pretty prog with that.

• 200 songs for BeatBuddy.

Actually, I too can't wrap my head around such a limitation in the Trio, since it uses an external card which would perspectively host Teras of data. It becomes basically useless for a solo night, unless you can swap cards two or three times during the show, restart the unit etc...

OTOH, I would gladly do without having to carry\store\look after\manage\not lose small things like DS cards during a working night...

• This is how the Trio+ is organised as hardware with dedicated buttons. 12 songs à 5 parts.
    C'mon, you can get pretty prog with that.

It would definitely work in some styles. Definitely something to look into in future. I like the jam functionality most of all, to be honest. It's kind of like band in a box, or the song assistant in Samplitude.

Looper is also a nice touch.

Thanks for your thoughts, Ingolf!

200 songs for BeatBuddy.

Actually, I too can't wrap my head around such a limitation in the host Teras of data. It becomes basically useless for a solo night, unless you can swap cards two or three times during the show, restart the unit etc...

OTOH, I would gladly do without having to carry\store\look after\manage\not lose small things like DS cards during a working night...

200 sounds more like it. Any limitation on the number of parts per song that you are aware of?

Yes, 12 songs will not get you through a night at a bar, assuming each song is 5 minutes long. I also find the idea of fixing a maximum number of parts rather restrictive. Suppose I had an intro, a verse, a chorus, a bridge, a solo rhythm, and an outdo, I would be stuck.

The plus is definitely that you can load bass or other instruments as a wav file into the Trio. Can't do that with the Beat Buddy, but they say they are working in that functionality.

It takes me back to my original assumption that I would use the Trio as a free-flowing jam tool, the ability to have backing tracks created instantly sounds awesome. You wouldn't be able to do that as convincingly with the Beat Buddy.

But with the Beat Buddy, you could play songs the way they were meant to be played, for example, covers of popular songs that you can't just use any beat with.

It's good to keep in mind that these devices are not very big. Quite amazed by that.

• For some reason a couple of lines were lost from my last post, which made it quite... cryptic LOL. I've edited it now.

IIRC DB's songs have 5 parts, but each part (in the bigger model) has three variations (ex. Fill1 Fill2 Fill3).

Where have you read about adding a bass facility to DB? I've written to them investigating on the matter but got no response yet.
    If DB played bass as well it would be a very different pair of shoes

:D

• They didn't say bass specifically, but said they were working on the ability to play wav files, which would allow you to have bass sounds. No idea if you could play back wavs alongside drum beats though, or anything else, because there is no information. They just said they are working on it.

It's quite sad if the Beat Buddy can only have five parts per song as well. No reason to get rid of my sequencer, it would have been great to have something so compact.