• I compared the two boxes.

They are two totally different devices.

The drums of the BeatBuddy sounds much better - is stereo with some nice ambience.

When the Trio+ will be used in a loop (of the KPA or amp) then the (monitor) our is only mono.

So I used a reverb pedal after it - then it's ok.

The patterns of the Trio+ are with more variation (like band-in-a-box from which the pattern come) - and the addition of the bass, the self learning feature, 5 parts ... are much better for play alongs then the BeatBuddy.

The looper works fine too.

General result - if you like only a great drum sound - get the BeatBuddy - in case you like something to play along (with bass and more backing tracks via the looper) - get the Trio+.

Or as always my advice - try both - keep the one which suits you more.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• You still have 3. It just allows you to replace the main pedal with another.
    All of the pedals are configurable in the menu. You tell it what type of pedals you have and you choose what you want them to control.
    Tapping more than once is configurable too.

I see, thanks. So you can't add a new pair of fs to the "official" one so to speak, and this "mod" just allows you to use a fs you already own, right?

The patterns of the Trio+ are with more variation (like band-in-a-box from which the pattern come)

Well, in BB you can import or write your own pattern, can't you?

• Yes, I think so - never did it - for me are these little boxes no replacement for a DAW (where we can do everything - but need a lot of time to prepare).

These boxes should work 'out of the box' without the need to program...

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Yes you can program you own beats and even build your own kits using your own sounds.
    Its all on the Beatbuddy forum.
    No box can have every beat everyone would want.
    When I find something I need that is not there, I build it or look and see if another user already has already built it.
    There also are third party companies that have thousands of beats for the beat buddy you just drop in.
    Bill

• What Bill wrote. How can you expect to find anything carrying all the patterns and grooves everyone likes?
    It's not a matter of having to program, rather of being able to load whatever you want.

• This is an interesting discussion but I just have to point out, if you are going to spend all that time and effort programming your beats, how is a Beat Buddy better than a drum machine?

I agree, having real time control of when the song flows into the next part is good for jamming, but if you have a fixed idea about how a song's structure should flow, the Beat Buddy is equivalent to having a drum machine, though the form factor is much better.

• Hi @nightlight,
    The advantage of the BeatBuddy over conventional drum machines is not so much the programability (yes, you can do this also to your heart's content with the BB), it's the ability of having a very flexible and realistic sounding 'hands-free' drum machine in a stomp box format with the emphasis on live performance.

It certainly made my (Live & practice) life much more fun :)

... about the fixed song idea, BB development is apparently currently working on a update that let's you start a dedicated song structure with the possibility to freely manipulate ques for solos etc and then return to the initiial structure to finish ... well, like a drum machine ;) ... but hands-free & in a stomp box format ...

Cheers,
    Wolf

• This is an interesting discussion but I just have to point out, if you are going to spend all that time and effort programming your beats, how is a Beat Buddy better than a drum machine?

I agree, having real time control of when the song flows into the next part is good for jamming, but if you have a fixed idea about how a song's structure should flow, the Beat Buddy is equivalent to having a drum machine, though the form factor is much better.

One thing I do know is the BBs sound quality is much better than any drum machine I ever had.
    I certainly am not saying there are none better but I personally have not had one. The BB is head over heals better than any Boss machine I have had. That's for sure.

• One thing I do know is the BBs sound quality is much better than any drum machine I ever had.
    I certainly am not saying there are none better but I personally have not had one. The BB is head over heals better than any Boss machine I have had. That's for sure.

Oh, the sound quality is better? That certainly is something I wasn't aware of. I wonder how they packed better sounds into such a small format. Probably has something to do with samples being used instead of the sound synthesis that Boss relies on for most of its machines.

Hi @nightlight,
    ... about the fixed song idea, BB development is apparently currently working on a update that let's you start a dedicated song structure with the possibility to freely manipulate ques for solos etc and then return to the initiial structure to finish ... well, like a drum machine ;) ... but hands-free & in a stomp box format ...

Cheers,
    Wolf

Ah, that's a very cool feature if they incorporate it. You have something like that with my MPC1000, i.e. repeat a part of a fixed song structure until a command is received to move on to the next part. That's a much larger machine though, so not very portable and you need to hook up external footswitches.

• I have my BeatBuddy for about 2 months now & am using it regularly for my duo gigs, rehearsals & at home ... and it is so much FUN ... very realistic sounding (non-quantized, real drum wav-file samples - stereo if you like), tons of different styles, stomp box a-like foot control & completely customizable ...

... a great, great tool - can definitively recommend it :D

Cheers,
    Wolf

Maybe stupid question, but is the tempo constant over the entire song? Or can BeatBuddy detect tempo, before engaging it? Like here, the player strums for some time, then engages BB - is the tempo learnt from the strumming here?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hi @skoczy,

No, the BeatBuddy currently can't detect the tempo on it's own ... with the BeatBuddy stopped you can hold the pedal for 2 secs - this will engage the tempo mode ... within the mode you can then tap the required tempo (hands free) ... leave it for another 2 secs & it will return into the standard mode to start a groove ...
    I have my BeatBuddy connected straight to my L2t (for best audio experience you should connect it straight to a FRFR system or PA!) & connected to my looper to sync ... you can connect your guitar or any audio directly to BeatBuddy to use it as an interface or use it with headphones - using it this way there maybe be a possibility in future might to detect tempo before engaging it or even while playing ... but, no - currently it doesn't.

Cheers,
    Wolf

• Hi @skoczy,

Yes, for the smalIer duo gigs (restaurants, bars & hotels) I'm running my KPA into line level input together the BeatBuddy into the RCA input (and the singers mic into the mixer channel) of my L2t - sounds great! As long as you have a great & adequately powered FRFR solution (similar to the L2t) the BeatBuddy together with a (acoustic) guitar will sound great :)

Cheers,
    Wolf

• Hi @skoczy,

Yes, for the smalIer duo gigs (restaurants, bars & hotels) I'm running my KPA into line level input together the BeatBuddy into the RCA input (and the singers mic into the mixer channel) of my L2t - sounds great! As long as you have a great & adequately powered FRFR solution (similar to the L2t) the BeatBuddy together with a (acoustic) guitar will sound great :)

Cheers,
    Wolf

So is the output of BB stereo? I guess I need some cable like this? My DXR10 has also 2 RCA inputs..
    [Blocked Image: https://s10.postimg.org/ugxlvbx0p/vvv.jpg]