KPA clipping when master volume goes high, is this normal? (Solved)

• Dear folks,

Today I got a new pair of JBL 305 speakers and noticed the sound was clipping/buzzing. After first thinking the speakers were at fault, I did some troubleshooting and realized it only happened when the KPA's master volume goes above 6.5 / 7, particularly on profiles with more gain. No light goes red though. I thought the master volume wasn't supposed to affect the quality of the sound so I'm wondering what could be the cause of this. The main out and monitor out both sound the same.

Prior to noticing that, I just downgraded to 3.3 because I have a string of important gigs coming up and felt that some funky stuff sometimes happens with my performances since I've been running 4.02. I think I haven't changed my distortion sense, but maybe I've raised clean sense a little.

Thanks.

• You're probably running the output too high, clipping the input of the speakers/mixer/input of whatever you're using. The main outs on the Kemper are very hot. I normally don't go above -15 dB, otherwise I run into problems.

• The main outs on the Kemper are very hot

Yep, the XLR mains have max level of + 22 dBu (The TS + 16 dBU).

A normal pre-amp has typical max +6 dBu . (very often just 0 )
    Kemper really deliver a strong signal.
    I use to set the main approx to -21 down to -25 (depends on the mixer we use)

• @JedMckenna - how did you solve this? just by lowering volume?

Yes, that time I lowered the volume. However after rebooting a few times, I haven't been able to replicate the issue, that might have been a one off glitch. I love this machine to death but I find there are is some weirdness occurring sometimes. I went back to 3.3 for that reason, but still, might be because I'm doings tons of patch editing/performance mode stuff these days. Has never happened in front of 5000 people yet, knock on wood.