Kemper Wah Settings

• Am I just totally confused or is the value of the Manual parameter actually supposed to be 3.9? Sorry if I'd get something completely wrong here...

No, you're right, mate; thank you for pointing it out. My first mistake. 8|

The Preset is correct. The error is just a transcription one, which I've fixed in post #1, post #379 and the list in the .zip file.

Sorry for the inconvenience! :pinch:

• Hi mate,

We already have the Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Cry Baby Wah JC95. The Crybaby Q-Zone "provides the same effects as other Crybaby pedals but redesigned for stability. It features the same tone controls as the 95Q but with knobs that aren't susceptible to movement when bumped to keep your settings stable."

So, it's likely IMHO that it sounds like the JC95 we already have. If, however, you feel it's distinctly-different, you can do the following:

In the OP of this thread...

Need Help Setting Up Your Wah in the Profiler? Do You Own a Rare Wah? Let Me Know.

... Don suggests you download this white-noise file...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0ik6kb20y9g7dn/white

... and pass it through the wah, making two recordings of it, one at the heel and the other at the toe position.

He asks that you contact him via PM to arrange sending your recorded files via email. He can then adjust the Kemper's wah parameters in order to reproduce the characteristics of those files.

Obviously if you don't have the Q Zone someone else will have to do this.

HTH mate.

• Updated the zip file to 2021-03-18:

Reconfigured the Morley Mark Tremonti wah notes in the post #1 settings list, the associated text file in the download and post #379 to fit the established-M.O. format.

In the download, only the settings-text file has been updated accordingly, so if you're a stickler for details you can replace the 2021-03-16 .zip on your drive with the new one and be done with it.

• Ok Guys, as the pipeline for converting white noise responses of real wah pedals to Profiler wah settings seems to be somewhat stuck (combined with the fact that I have upcoming vacation while still in COVID-19 lockdown): I may give it a try -- starting with just one pedal.

Monkey_Man, do you have any clue of what the most anticipated pending conversion is and who still has the respective white noise responses available?

Caveat: Although I know how to derive mean spectra of sound samples, calculate/analyse frequency responses and construct FIR filters: Never done this before. Please regard as an experiment.

Edit: Mean spectrum of the white noise input file attached.

• Monkey_Man, do you have any clue of what the most anticipated pending conversion is and who still has the respective white noise responses available?

This is all I know, mate:

Zenmaster said this on Jul 30th 2020 regarding his John Petrucci JP95:

Ok, I've just sent Don a message.

I think I've recorded it correctly. The toe position had this high frequency sound which I'm not sure if it's suppose to be there (so I've made a few versions with different output volumes, but couldn't get rid of it completely).

dahla said this here, regarding his Kirk Hammett KH-95:

Do Don still do this? I sent him files for the Hammett KH95 a few years back, and I didn’t hear back at all. ?

He was referencing this from Jan 1st 2018:

I wonder if Don Petersen soon will upload the settings for the KH-95 wah.

tabaer said this regarding 2 sets of files he sent on Aug 13th 2020. Thankfully he was able to do the Tremonti one himself:

It's been 3 years since I sent Don data for Slash and Tremonti wahs...

• Many thanks, bro -- didn't expect a comprehensive collection here! So if you guys who have been mentioned still have the white noise responses (or are able to remake them): Feel free to PM me.

Edit: In case you still own the wah pedal in question and are ready to try something new: I'd like to test (establish?) a supposedly more elaborate approach to actually sample the frequency responses:

1. Set your DAW to a project/sample rate of 44.1kHz.
    2. Download the file irSampling.wav.zip from here (section Craft the magical sampling DI signal) and put it into a mono channel strip of your DAW. Configure the channel strip to have no input and set the send level to -12dB (assuming audio interface line out here).
    3. Adjust the input level of your audio interface to be safe from clipping (e.g. check with pink noise set to -6dB sent through the pedal while disengaged/engaged). When in doubt, less gain is more here.

Play the sampling DI three times through the wah pedal while recording the output into a second mono channel strip:

1. pedal disengaged
    2. pedal engaged, at heel position
    3. pedal engaged, at toe position

Truncate all recordings to 3s each (like the sampling DI) and individually export as WAVE (mono) with 24bit dynamic range. Disable normalisation, dithering and other fancy options for the exports (we need them to be raw/unaltered). Name the files accordingly (e.g. Dunlop-Cry_Baby_BB535-Pos_3-off.wav, ...-heel.wav, ...-toe.wav) and zip them together.

Edit 2, for the DSP heads: In order to derive the frequency response from a white noise processing one has to hassle with windowing, FFT length, averaging and smoothing. In contrast, the impulse responses are actually already frequency responses, just in the time domain. The transformation to frequency domain is then a no-brainer. Never tried this with analogue gear though...

• I have a basic setup question:

Once I get my mission pedal setup, do I have to make sure that I place the wah pedal in the same place in every rig?

For example, the wah works correctly if it is in the X effect but not in the C effect position.
    So, if I setup the wah in the C position, do I need to setup every rig I want the wah to be used to have the wah in the C position?

• The Wah can be in any position you want and can vary from rig to rig. However, a few things to consider;

Wah is generally used early in the signal chain and is rarely used after the amp so slot X for example would be a very unusual place to put it.

Although the Wah effect can be placed anywhere from rig to rig, if you want to use the Toe Switch to turn the Wah on and off, this needs to be in the same position in every rig.

• Thank you Wheresthedug

Perfect answer. Especially pertaining to my toe switch when I want to turn it off.

If you move this around to different locations the biggest problem I have found is remembering the new position. This can royaly screw up your performance. I would therefore caution you to place the "wah" in the same stomp position in whichever profile you want it to be positioned every time, thus no screw ups! I used to use the Mission EP1 - 1 pedal... but long ago found it more a hurdle than a help, than to place a simple Exp pedal with wah ON to bypawhere would need it, and then remove any reference to the Mission Exp pedal when I had no need for any Wah in the profile in it. I works hummingly beautiful this way!! any less thought is required (a big plus in my case :D).

Gary ô¿ô

• I hear ya Gary. I have mine locked in Stomp A all the time for that reason (as well as the toe switch needs to be tied to the same stomp). However, I can’t get on with bypass@......... I need to physically stamp on a switch to feel like I’m using a Wah ? Also, pedals and bouncy stages scare me when I’m relying on a pedal not moving to avoid accidental Wah syndrome. I’ve had it turn on randomly before because the pedal slipped a little.

• Here is your quote from page one of this thread. The problem is that there is only one post and your quote above mentions two.

Are you able to repost the link of the actual presets here from 20 pages and 5 years ago?