Kemper Wah Settings

• Anny news about Petrucci wah setting?

It's been 3 years since I sent Don data for Slash and Tremonti wahs with nary a peep, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
    --Matt Groening

"Cannot run out of time! There is infinite time. You are finite, Zathras is finite, this... is wrong tool. No, not good, no, never use this." --Zathras

• Just today I installed the Wah's after maybe a year ago that I downloaded these presets. I wish I did this a year ago. What a goldmine of presets. Thank you so much, Monkey, Don Petersen and everyone involved in these presets!

• It'll only take a few minutes to try them and see what fits your tastes, so I'd suggest this, plus you can edit them of course.

Welcome to the forum, John.

Thanks you all for the welcome. I tried them already, so far, widest sweep is the kirk hammet but it's kinda aggressive sounding. Is there a coloursound wah or chicago iron parachute wah settings available in the forum?

• I collated everything I could find here, mate. If there were anything else worthwhile I'd have heard about it I reckon. The only place I haven't checked is on the Google Drive "Exchange" created by marcusio. The wah category does have some entries:

Rig manager 3.0 PRESETS Exchange

You can dial that aggressiveness back easily BTW; have a fiddle with the parameters. Its easy - there are after all only a few. :thumbup:

• Any news about Colorsound settings (inductor-less and Fuzz/Wah part)?

I'm trying to rebuild the circuits on Vero at the moment to do some FFT, but a comparison would be fine.

Edited 2 times, last by Dragonsf: typos removed ().

• BTW: I collected the data for some wah types previously:maybe that could help someone. BTW: Do we know, what the KPA Wah settings mean in terms of Freqeuncy range and Q-faktor?

Wah moduleTypeLow FHigh FQ
    John Petrucci SignatureJP95100 Hz3.2 kHz6
    Cry Baby Bass105Q180 Hz1.8 kHz2
    ColorSound200 Hz2.0 kHz4
    Zakk Wylde Cry BabyZW45250 Hz2.4 kHz2
    MC-404CAE255 Hz1.5 kHz2
    Slash Cry BabySW95270 Hz1.9 kHz2
    Cry Baby MiniCBM95290 Hz1.5 kHz2
    Eddie Van Halen SignatureEVH95290 Hz1.9 kHz6
    Jimi Hendrix SignatureJH1D290 Hz1.5 kHz2
    Joe Bonamassa SignatureJB95290 Hz1.5 kHz4
    Kirk Hammett SignatureKH95300 Hz1.8 kHz2
    Jerry Cantrell SignatureJC95320 Hz2.07 kHz2
    Slash Cry Baby ClassicSC95340 Hz1.7 kHz2
    Cry BabyGCB95350 Hz2.2 kHz4
    Cry Baby ClassicGCB95F350 Hz2.2 kHz2
    Cry Baby Q w/Boost95Q390 Hz2 kHz2
    Clyde McCoy Cry BabyCM95410 Hz2.2 kHz2
    Cry Baby 535QMulti-Wah440 Hz2.2 kHz2
    Dimebag Cry Baby From HellDB01440 Hz2.2 kHz6
  • Regarding the inductor-less CS Wah:

f1 f2 cf Q
    150 250 200 2
    200 300 250 2.5
    420 460 440 11
    900 1100 1010 5.05

It seems, the Q-Factor depends on the pot setting from 2 (Top = 100k) to 5 with a resonant peak at 440Hz with 11. Can we do that with KPA Wah?

• Hi Guys, many thanks to all the good people who have contributed and collected such helpful information!

I did an analysis similar to that of Dragonsf which he presented here. But in order to not spread related info among different threads I've decided to post my results here. Hope that's ok...

My intention was to derive formulas for the calculation of the Profiler Wah Wah parameters as functions of the resonant frequencies (f1/f2 for heel/toe) and the filter Qs (Q1/Q2 for heel/toe). In contrast to the white noise thing I followed a different approach to extract and analyse frequency responses which - in theory - should give more accurate results. All responses have been corrected for the input filter of the Profiler prior to the analysis.

Here is what I've found (all natural logarithms):

1. Manual = ln(f1) * 1.80034 - 7.11148
    2. Peak = ln(Q1) * 2.69813 + 1.84876
    3. Pedal Range = ln(f2/f1) * 18.0034
    4. Peak Range = ln(Q2/Q1) * 26.9813

No calculator at hand? Just follow this link, modify the values of f1, q1, f2, q2 at end of input to your liking, hit enter and find the Profiler Wah Wah parameter settings under Result (order as above). Required limitations (as the Profiler does internally):

1. Pedal Range: [- 10 * Manual, 100 - 10 * Manual]
    2. Peak Range: [- 10 * Peak, 100 - 10 * Peak]

For those who are interested: Attached you can find plots that show

1. an example of the many frequency responses I've extracted, corrected and analysed
    2. the data points and (restricted) best fit for the Manual parameter
    3. the data points and best fit for the Peak parameter

While the Peak parameter seems to be strictly linear in ln(Q) this does not hold true for the Manual parameter with regard to ln(f). The fit is fairly good only between 1.5 (~120Hz) and 8.5 (~5830Hz). But that should be good for most applications.

Cheers-

No calculator at hand? Just follow this link, modify the values of f1, q1, f2, q2 at end of input to your liking, hit enter and find the Profiler Wah Wah parameter settings under Result (order as above).

Curious to do the opposite, i.e. derive the resonant frequencies and the filter Qs from the Wah settings? Here:

1. f1 = exp(Manual * 0.555451) * 51.9395
    2. Q1 = exp(Peak * 0.370627) * 0.503989
    3. f2 = exp((Manual + PedalRange / 10) * 0.555451) * 51.9395
    4. Q2 = exp((Peak + PeakRange / 10) * 0.370627) * 0.503989

Still no calculator at hand? Just follow this link, modify the values of k1 (Manual), k2 (Peak), k3 (Pedal Range), k4 (Peak Range) at end of input to your liking, hit enter and find the resonant frequencies and the filter Qs under Result (order as above). Required limitations (as the Profiler does internally):

• I've just been messing around with the presets. The Bob Weir 2 is absolutely perfect for what I'm looking for, but the pedal is working in reverse (ie open sound is on the heel). Anyone know how I can reverse it round without changing the tone?

1. Manual (new) = Manual + PedalRange / 10
    2. Peak (new) = Peak + PeakRange / 10
    3. Pedal Range (new) = - PedalRange
    4. Peak Range (new) = - PeakRange

Required limitations (as the Profiler does internally):

So the Profiler internally interprets the Bob Weir 2 settings

1. Manual 5.6
    2. Peak 7.7
    3. Pedal Range -79%
    4. Peak Range -77%

actually as (he knows we like to exaggerate, but doesn't hold it against us)

1. Manual 5.6
    2. Peak 7.7
    3. Pedal Range -56%
    4. Peak Range -77%

which in reverse translate to

1. Manual 0.0
    2. Peak 0.0
    3. Pedal Range 56%
    4. Peak Range 77%
  • Here is what I've found (all natural logarithms):

Thanks, nejo_hh! Using that with spectrum analysis of the heel/toe audio data I gathered many years ago and some back-to-back comparisons, I put together the following set of parameters that IMHO gets pretty close to my Morley Tremonti wah:

Manual: 3.9

Peak: 7.4

Pedal Range: 15%

Peak Range: -37%

Mix: 100%

Volume: +0.5 (or more if you like to crank the Tremonti wah's built-in boost)

For full Morley effect, set the pedal mode to "bypass at heel".

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
    --Matt Groening

"Cannot run out of time! There is infinite time. You are finite, Zathras is finite, this... is wrong tool. No, not good, no, never use this." --Zathras

• Added Troy's wah to the collection and updated the settings notes in post #1.

Here's the full description:

Morley Mark Tremonti by Troy Baer

Manual 3.9

Peak 7.4

Pedal Range +15%

Peak Range -37%

Mix 100%

Vomume +0.5

I put together the following set of parameters that IMHO gets pretty close to my Morley Tremonti wah. For full Morley effect, set the pedal mode to "Bypass @ Heel".

Editor's Note:

In a footnote Troy also suggested raising the Volume parameter "if you like to crank the Tremonti wah's built-in boost."

I also took the liberty of setting the Pedal Mode as suggested.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Rig Manager folder added to download. Instructions amended to describe that mode of usage:

How to Audition the Presets Using Rig Manager

Extract the contents of the .zip file linked to above.

1) Locate the "Wah - Community Collection" folder in the "Rig Manager Use->" folder and select all files.

2) Create a new folder called "Wah - Community Collection" in "All Presets / Categories" in Rig Manager.

3) Drag the selected files from step 1 to this new folder in Rig Manager.

You can now audition any of the Presets by double-clicking on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New instruction amendment due to file-location changes in newer operating systems:

* Note:

Older operating systems stored the Presets in the Shared / Stomp folder in the .kipr format.

Newer operating systems use a new format, .kpreset, and store these wah Presets in two new folders:

Shared / Effect Presets / Wah / Wah Vowel Filter

and

Shared / Effect Presets / Wah / Wah Wah

The collection has now been stored in the new, appropriate locations. You needn't worry about these details; they're here for clarification in case of confusion. Just copy the "Shared" folder as per the instructions.