Help, how to profile AC30?

• Hi, need advanced help.

wanted to profile my hardwired Vox AC30 with a Brian May Treble Booster in front and had to terminate the profiling session because of too much noise.

Signal chain: Guitar --> KPA --> Send --> TB --> AC30. MD421-Microphone --> Kemper return

The sound was not only full of noise (hiss and everything), but the sound of the guitar was also completely changed... not as harmonic as if i plug the guitar directly into the TB and into the AC30... much more disharmonic distortion in the high mids.

What am I doing wrong, how do you do it (in this special case)?

• Were any stomps active on the Kemper? They are befor the send to the amp. I had a similar problem while profiling my Budda Superdrive (which hates ANYTHING in front of it), but when I saved my profile and entered Browse mode, all the noise was gone.

• EVERY MICROPHONE NEEDS PREAMP DUDE. Thats why the sound is so bad (if he didnt use it) . MD421 is great microphone but you need also good sounding preamplifier, without it, forget about profiling.

• Wait, one other important question - have you done a recording of the mic'ed up AC30 (i.e. same mic postion, changing nothing), and compared to a recording with the profiles you've taken?

• i'm not talking about profiles. i'm talking about how putting the kemper into the signal chain completely destroys the harmonic overdrive of the amp sound. Reducing gain and volume doen't change a thing.

• I had something like this with an overdrive into a 6505. It was solved by rebooting the Kemper and lowering the input level to the Kemper itself.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

Well, to clarify THE KEMPER HAS A BUILT-IN PREAMP DUDE.

Hi again, after some time, I am still not convinced that Kemper realy has buildt-in microphone preamp. With my friend and also Kemper owner, we both doubt about it and we did search in user manual. We found nothing about microphone preamplifier. Feature like that should be mentioned, and theres no discuss f.e. about quality of this mic pre. Simply, there is no one.
    If we overlooked something... LET US KNOW!!!

• Hi again, after some time, I am still not convinced that Kemper realy has buildt-in microphone preamp. With my friend and also Kemper owner, we both doubt about it and we did search in user manual. We found nothing about microphone preamplifier. Feature like that should be mentioned, and theres no discuss f.e. about quality of this mic pre. Simply, there is no one.
    If we overlooked something... LET US KNOW!!!

Well, if there was no mic preamp, then there wouldn't be enough signal when you plug a mic directly in to the return input when profiling. Are you sure you understand what a mic preamp is?
    From the profiling manual :
    [Blocked Image: http://i67.tinypic.com/34i4c5d.png]

• OF COURSE I know what is mic pre. That there is missing some picture on Kemper diagram doesn't mean that ther IS a preamp. If you look into to the manual and description, you'll find this:
    "The RETURN INPUT can be chosen as an analog,
    studio-level input for reamping purposes. Either the TRS input or the
    symmetrical XLR input are available as the RETURN INPUT. Read the next
    chapter carefully to learn more about the dedicated reamping features"

Nothing about MIC PRE.
    I simply think, that some users consider the XLR connector automaticaly as MIC PRE which is not true.

Anyway, Kemper HQ could clarify this or I can test it when I am in studio.

MAYBE THERE IS a PREAMP but it must be autoswitching line/mic level which is realy strange :)

• In manual is also written that Kemper is not supporting PHANTOM POWER +48V which leads to chance there IS a preamp (but no for condenser mics). But I would expect some notice at least about possibility to hook up directly dynamic or ribbon microphones.
    Maybe it is realy unfortunatelly written and I am CONFUSED. Same like my friend.

• As stated in the Profiling guide you can connect a microphone or a microphone amplifier to the Return input of the Profiler.
    Thats on page 13 in the chapter "Making connections". I would recommend to read it more thoroughly.