What do you use as a backup in case your Kemper fails?

• Since I’m loving the Kemper so much, I sold off ALL of my tube amp rig and other gear that I used to use for live gigs. I’m now running the KPA direct to FOH and using a Yamaha DXR15 for my stage monitor. Love the setup. No issues there at all.

My concern is, that I now have no backup in case the Kemper malfunctions at a gig. I’m looking for suggestions that would work in this scenario. I’m looking for something relatively cheap and small (small enough that I could just leave it hidden under the seat of my car or in a backpack. I don’t want to lug around more heavy gear (that’s one reason I shifted to the KPA).

What would you recommend? I’ve never used anything but tube amps (and have never had an issue with them malfunctioning mid-gig), so this precaution is new to me. It doesn’t have to sound amazing. I’m basically looking for something that can act as a very temporary fix to get me through the night. Doesn’t even need to have effects. Would a good distortion pedal work by plugging my guitar into that and then from the pedal into the powered Yamaha DXR15, and then take the XLR out of the DXR and send that to FOH? If so, what pedal would you recommend (no death metal sounds, just standard modern rock stuff like 80’s rock, some 90’s stuff like STP, Pearl Jam, etc.). Thanks!

• Interesting Question. I am thinking about a second Kemper. But that feels like overkill...

Actually I used to have Boss ME-50 or a Mesa V-Twin with me. Right now I am checking if a Damage Control womanizer may be a possible Backup. Positive side of that: I always wanted to have that "vintage" product.,..

• Sounds like a good backup plan but what's your contingency plan if the hd500 fails first?
    not one to be doom and gloom but I am plagued by the same concern. Boy Scouts motto....

I don´t see it as a big problem if the hd500 goes down. The main thing is to get through the gig. So if the kemper is working at least I can still play, and sound good. Probably just use one overdrive sound and use the volumecontrol on the guitar for cleans.

• I'm pretty impressed with some of the sounds I'm hearing from the Atomic Amplifire pedal. At $600, that would be my choice.

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• I have been using the Kemper for over a year. No backup.

I would like to point out that this is generally against my religion. I am thinking about getting a little digitech foot efx unit as a backup. Pure crap, but would get me through the night in a pinch.

I have sold off all my tube gear :(

• I had a 2nd Kemper as backup, but a friend has borrowed it for a tour. Will probably sell the backup, and use my old Digitech RP1000 instead if I bother to drag a backup with me at all. Do people have backups for their old tube-amps with them at all times? I've played tube-amps for 35 years and never carried a backup. Must admit that I usually would use two amps with either able to fill the gap for the other with the right combination of pedals. Would an amp-sim would be any less reliable than tubes if you only stay away from betas and experimental software?

Edited once, last by heldal ().

• I had a 2nd Kemper as backup, but a friend has borrowed it for a tour. Will probably sell the backup, and use my old Digitech RP1000 instead if I bother to drag a backup with me at all. Do people have backups for their old tube-amps with them at all times? I've played tube-amps for 35 years and never carried a backup. Would an amp-sim would be any less reliable than tubes if you only stay away from betas and experimental software?

Well, yes. Always, always carry a backup.

• Currently, i do not have a backup.
    But i think something like the Tech 21 FlyRig 5 would be a good solution.
    Part of the advantage of having a kemper is that you don't need to take so much stuff to a gig anymore. So a backup should fit inside the cases you are carrying anyway. The FlyRig would even fit into a gigbag.
    It has all the bare necessities and you can go directly to FOH.
    Though, you can find reports of high background noise on the internet.

• Thanks for all the input guys. I never needed a backup with tube amps, and HOPE to never need one with my KPA. But I'm always just a little more worrisome when it comes to digital or computers (which is essentially what the KPA is). So I think it's best to be prepared. I'm thinking of the HD500x because of its versatility. But, I'd prefer something smaller that can just be left in the trunk of my car and not need to worry about the single digit winter temps, or the 100+ degree summer temps hurting it. I want to lug as little gear in and out of each show as possible.