Line 6 G10 wireless system

• OK, tested the G10 with active electronics:

Takamine cool tube -> nada, nothing, niente
    Washburn force ABT -> nada, niente, nothing

That thingy did not activate itself in both instruments. Not really cool... :wacko:

Ne travaillez jamais.

• I think it might be a bit tricky in a live show

Yes its a litte bit tricky.
    I alway have a guitar cable prepared to use with me.
    The G30 Transbonder flashes when the batterie becomes week. But who looks all time at his belt?.
    With the G10 also the loading station starts to flash when the rest capacity comes below 30 min. (so its written in the manual which can be downloaded.)

BTW: The short patch cable from guitar to the transponder can also be pluged out by accident. It happened with me when I played one of the rare solo in the Big Band. I played with emotions and the local TV was here. :S
    It's also a good way to become talk of the day. ^^

Edited once, last by Sharry ().

• Regarding active pups:

It seems like the G10 jack is TRS, which would probably mean that the jack doesn't "activate" the active electronics. Active pups usually use a TRS female plug, which is to be used with a TS jack, as this shorts the R and S parts of the plug - which basically works as an "on" switch for the circuit (and why the batteries drain when you leave the jack in the instrument.

You could use a TS 6.1 mm male to TRS 6.3 mm female adapter. Well, actually, a TS to TS adapter should work too, I think.

• Regarding active pups:

It seems like the G10 jack is TRS, which would probably mean that the jack doesn't "activate" the active electronics. Active pups usually use a TRS female plug, which is to be used with a TS jack, as this shorts the R and S parts of the plug - which basically works as an "on" switch for the circuit (and why the batteries drain when you leave the jack in the instrument.

You could use a TS 6.1 mm male to TRS 6.3 mm female adapter. Well, actually, a TS to TS adapter should work too, I think.

Yeah, this is also the recommendation on Line6's FAQ page.

• Quote: @Jimmyno wrote:-
    "I think that the main reason is to avoid that (for example) a problem can let you completely down.
    Imagine you run out of batteries or you transmitter/receiver goes crazy: you lose monitoring and guitar/voice connection.
    And if you need to change your belt pack you have to change, at once, your mic, your guitar and change the headphone jack.
    I think it might be a bit tricky in a live show."

I see what you're saying @Jimmyno but as we are (for the time being) in the realm of fantasy, indulge for a second and imagine a system which provides one box with the three transmitter/ receivers working independently and replaceable/serviceable independently. I suppose it could be a rack stack modular thingummy of sorts.
    So, if one part failed live, the rest keeps going. Most people would have a backup cable, mic and IEM wire/
    wedge monitor anyway.
    It would come with a jack socket dongle for the guitar, belt clip for the IEMs and
    a separate belt clip/ dongle sized pack
    for the mic input. These would all be managed by the 'box' and have all the required outputs and inputs to facilitate all conceivable connections. It would also be in a properly built metal housing that is road worthy.
    To be able to connect all three pieces of gear with super low latency, and at a digital frequency range that is free to use but NOT in the same range as wifi routers and cellular networks, just
    seems to be common sense to me. If it's possible that is!
    I can't be the only musician who'd benefit from such a streamlined setup.
    I am pretty confident that people would pay for it.
    In someways, we have the guitar amp equivalent in the Kemper with it's multi-
    purpose functionality.
    Anyway, thanks for your reply. I'll go back to my wired guitar, wired IEM and standard dynamic mic on a stand for now...
    :(
    Pre-Amp

Edited once, last by Pre-Amp: Apologies, forgot to include quote! ().

• You could use a TS 6.1 mm male to TRS 6.3 mm female adapter. Well, actually, a TS to TS adapter should work too, I think.

Electronically this seems to be excellent advice. Mechanically this worries we. With a Strat like plug and its angle and position it could be fine. But with a plug in the pin for the strap or at the lower right body it will certainly break. Maybe tomorrow, maybe in a month... :wacko:

Ne travaillez jamais.

• Electronically this seems to be excellent advice. Mechanically this worries we. With a Strat like plug and its angle and position it could be fine. But with a plug in the pin for the strap or at the lower right body it will certainly break. Maybe tomorrow, maybe in a month... :wacko:

I agree :-/ And I wouldn't even want to use it with a strat due to the added length and potential bending of the lug inside the plug (due to a higher bending moment)

• FWIW, I had the G50 a year or so ago and it worked like a champ. I tried the G70 late last year to "upgrade" and it initially worked for a few gigs and then for 3-4 gigs after, I would lose wireless connectivity. This was after all the FW updates and best practices. It wasn't like I was playing in wifi dense venues either. I finally had to get rid of it and went back to wired.

Will keep an eye on the G10 to see how it looks. The G30/G50 is the previous generation and I had not issues with my G50. The G70 and G10 look like their the same generation of tech.

• No connection issues with mine, although it's still only being used at home. I have a festival gig at the end of this month where I'm going to try it out, though I'll have cables as back up, naturally.

• I use a Samson AR300 which I upgraded from the AG1 purely because its multichannel. The guitar bug type I think is perfect because you can switch guitars more easily than a strap/belt pack hence I didn't go down the G30/G50/G70.

I was interested in the G10 as well but the active thing worries me a little - surely they should have thought that through, sounds like a major flaw. Love the idea of the charger as my only issue is batteries - I use 1 AA per gig, mainly cos it east batteries and often because I forget to switch it off!

Let me know how it goes Sam as I'm interested in whether any of the issues mentioned turn out to be the case...

I get no issues with my Samson, did a back to back test with a cable and very minor tone difference, in favour of wireless! Never had connection issues or drop outs, even when I go for a wonder...

I'm totally in favour of wireless, used one for about 8 years now, as I got sick of treading on the cable and pulling it out mid solo....although I think the audience appreciated it!

• I just ordered the relay G50 ... Does anyone have any experience with that system? I've read mostly positive reviews, but also found a thread on the Line 6 forum with players complaining about drop outs. Although the thread was old, and some said something about a firmware update. Have heard nothing but good comments about the tone compared to a cable.

Hey, Carl. I've had mine for several years and never had any problems with dropouts.

I used a Nady 201 True Diversity system in the late 80s that had a companding circuit with horribly compressed, high end tone. The G50 sounds as good as a cable to my ears. You can dial in the length of virtual cable tone on the receiver which is nice.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Why is it problematic in regards to active pickups? I have one guitar with EMG's - and I want something that's simple to use, not too expensive and unproblematic with all my guitars...
    Is this a software bug or a hardware restriction thing?

• Why is it problematic in regards to active pickups? I have one guitar with EMG's - and I want something that's simple to use, not too expensive and unproblematic with all my guitars...

As far I understood. The function that the transponder is switching off after some time of no signal is not sure for active PU's.
    That means the accu becomes empty earlier.

Hardware, I believe. I have a EBMM Luke II with EMGs, but it's in storage at the moment. Maybe this week I'll get out there and retrieve it for testing. I'll keep you posted...

Looks like its the special plug pin they use. Somebody told me there are adapters to convert this. Its also written on line 6 website. I just fear that the adapter makes the whole construction too long and chances are it will break :(

"Q: Does the G10 transmitter fit all guitars?A: We have designed the G10 transmitter to fit into almost any guitar. However, we anticipate that there will be some rare cases where the transmitter does not fit into a given guitar. If the G10 transmitter is inserted into your guitar and the transmitter's actuator pin is not engaged, the transmitter will not turn on, the LED on the transmitter will not light up, and no signal is processed."

"Q: Does the G10 transmitter work with guitars that use active electronics?A: In some rare cases, the guitar’s active electronics are wired with inverse polarity. In this scenario, the transmitter's electronics can go into a protection mode that keeps the system from being functional. This is evidenced by no output from the G10, even though the transmitter's light is on.

We have found that in most cases, a workaround to this issue is to use a mono-to-mono (TS-TS) Male to Female adaptor or cable. See this article for more details: Relay G10 Guitar Compatibility (Fit/Electronics)
    "

Ne travaillez jamais.