Line 6 G10 wireless system

• Thanks for the comment and info ... Tested the G50 a bit this past week. It does a very good job, the tone is close to my cable. No issues with dropouts. I do have to keep the virtual cable length "off" to retain as much frequency response as I can. When that feature is off, it is closer to my Mogami cable tone. Also, I am running a very short mogami cable from the base unit to the KPA, which also made a difference.

• I guess that makes sense...the virtual cable is to mimic some of the frequency losses from poor or long cable lengths.

Ironically this is why wireless can sound better or certainly different. The relay stuff claims less compression that regular systems so should be a closer tone to plugging in direct with a really good cable..

• Owned the G30 for a while, and sold it for the G10. The G10 is every bit as great as the G30 sound wise, but you do not have to deal with the sloppy battery tray door nor having to plan when to charge the AA batteries. The battery lasts approx. the same as well, and it is a relief to not have to think about any transmitter in the pocket or the strap etc. The only downside is that I cannot use the Kemper USB port to power the receiver, there is some strange hum (probably ground hum). Cannot quite complain about that though :P

• Electronically this seems to be excellent advice. Mechanically this worries we. With a Strat like plug and its angle and position it could be fine. But with a plug in the pin for the strap or at the lower right body it will certainly break.

I stand corrected!

I ordered one of the adapters that Line 6 suggested, namely the Hosa GPP151 which is full metal 90 degrees. This is built rock solid. With my Warwick bass and its plug to the lower right body the G10 can freely swing - in case I bumped it. And its not in the way at all, neither when sitting or standing. And well, yes, its working electronically. :)

And because I dutifully took my pills this morning, there is more good news: I could test a Fernandes Dragonfly Elite on the Kemper last night. This has active electronics for its sustainer. Its working without adapter! :D Chances are, this baby will stay with me. Great addition to where my Gretsch doenst really shine: high gain on VHT Pitbull or Mesa profiles. And the sustainer is real fun...

Ne travaillez jamais.

• The only thing that isn't good about the G10 seems to be the warning that it's not designed for stage (at least from what I read here, anyone have a reason why). Granted, it's possible that you have a good experience, but I'm pretty sure that warning is there for a reason.

I think the Line 6 range looks pretty good, but the only source for them out here seems to be the dodgy audiobuy.com. I was really interested in the G90 too, bah.

Has anyone tried one of these Audio Technica ATW-1501 wireless systems? Here's a link to the product page:

http://www.audio-technica.com/…1d1b89bf299ce2/index.html

I haven't heard anything about them, good or bad, but it seems pretty cool, especially the dual outputs that you can mute. According to one reviewer, that is especially cool if you have a piezo-equipped guitar.

No clue about reliability. The Line 6 is cheaper and this is a bodypack, so not a 1:1 replacement for the G10. But if you can use it on stage.

• Yeah, I haven't read anything official from Line6 stating that the G10 isn't fit for live use, on the website or the FAQs. I'm not sure where it came from, but I'm guessing their forums. Anyway, I'll be testing it live at a festival in just over a week. We're headlining and closing the stage on the final day, so let's hope it holds up haha! (Disclaimer : I will of course have 2 extra cables with me. Of course!!!)

• Is the automatic switch of function working. Or is some other influence to the functionality?

The 90 degrees adapter will not fit into the docking station. So you have to unplug it before anyway. Auto-switch of: you mean, when the thing is plugged into the guitar and you just leave it there? I did not test it, bit it should! It is just listenening to the incoming signals. If there are none, it will go to sleep, even though it is still connected. But: excellent point! I will double check that tonight!

Ne travaillez jamais.

• The only thing that isn't good about the G10 seems to be the warning that it's not designed for stage (at least from what I read here, anyone have a reason why). Granted, it's possible that you have a good experience, but I'm pretty sure that warning is there for a reason.

Correct. Thats what they said during the introduction at NAMM. For now I am just using it for comfortable rehearing in my studio. I like the fact that I can just jump up and go to the mixing desk or mik-stand without taking care of a cable bouncing my bottle of beer. :D

(I am closely following the guys using it on stage though. Hoping that the Line 6 statement is just over-sensitive disclaimer. I still wonder how more than one G10 will act on the same stage, since you cannot change channels manually)

Ne travaillez jamais.

• Correct. Thats what they said during the introduction at NAMM. For now I am just using it for comfortable rehearing in my studio. I like the fact that I can just jump up and go to the mixing desk or mik-stand without taking care of a cable bouncing my bottle of beer. :D

(I am closely following the guys using it on stage though. Hoping that the Line 6 statement is just over-sensitive disclaimer. I still wonder how more than one G10 will act on the same stage, since you cannot change channels manually)

According to the documentation, the base unit automatically scans and adjusts the frequency according to occupied wavelengths when the transmitter is docked.

• According to the documentation, the base unit automatically scans and adjusts the frequency according to occupied wavelengths when the transmitter is docked.

That sounds good enough for me.

The only danger would be 50.000 fans in the audience. With 50.000 smart phones with 50.000 open WLAN adapters. But certainly not at my concerts :D

Ne travaillez jamais.

• ]According to the documentation, the base unit automatically scans and adjusts the frequency according to occupied wavelengths when the transmitter is docked.

I think that could be what the *alleged* problem could be, i.e. the base unit scans for occupied wavelengths when the transmitter is docked. But in a stage situation, for example, if someone with another wireless hooks up after you, or switches to another channel in between, there's potential for a clash.

I think many units, including Line 6's higher end offerings, work around this limitation by constantly scanning the frequencies for interference.

That sounds good enough for me.
    The only danger would be 50.000 fans in the audience. With 50.000 smart phones with 50.000 open WLAN adapters. But certainly not at my concerts

It doesn't have to be 50,000 fans though, just one motivated enough to sweep through a bunch of frequencies till he can mess with yours :D