Powered/Unpowered - Final question before purchase

• Hi guys.

I have been saving for a Kemper for over a year now and I finally have the money to buy one. I am going to place a deposit on Sunday, and pick it up at the end of the month.

I was totally set on getting the power head, but no I am having doubts. I'll explain my current rig:

I have a pair of Yamaha HS50s and Audio Technika ATH-M50 headphones. Most of my Kempering will be done through one of those two. I do not gig, and this would be exclusively for home use, at least for the near future. That said, I don't want to box myself in and be unable to gig if I were to join a band in 6 months.

I also have a Marshall 1960AV 4x12 which I used to use with my Peavey 6505. If I were to play live I would plan on running the Kemper through the cab. I would also do this at home occasionally on my days off.

So the way my finances are at the moment is if I go unpowered I will 100% definitely be able to purchase the Kemper at the end of this month. If I go powered there is a chance I will have to wait longer. Given how long I have been waiting, I do not want to do this. I have the less preferable option of delaying a couple of bills by a month or so to make sure I can afford the power amp, but even then I would leave myself fairly tight for the next couple of months.

I know I have the option of getting the unpowered toaster now and then purchasing a power amp later, but I am hesitant because it would likely cost significantly more, and I would have this lovely 4x12 sat next to me that I can't use.

Sorry if this post is a little long-winded. Any advice would be good. Either way I plan on depositing on Sunday.

• If I could do it all over again, I'd have gone for the powered version. I don't gig either, and I really have no plans to. And in the off chance I decide to play a random show, I can use my DXR-10 and be just fine.

That said, I am someone that likes having my options open. Had I gone powered I could use a real cabinet should the need or desire arise.

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• So for those of you that exclusively use your KPA through headphones or computer monitors, if you had a 4x12 sat next to you how inclined would you be to use it? Or does it sound so great through the computer that you would only use a 4x12 if you were performing live?

• So for those of you that exclusively use your KPA through headphones or computer monitors, if you had a 4x12 sat next to you how inclined would you be to use it? Or does it sound so great through the computer that you would only use a 4x12 if you were performing live?

I live in an apartment so a 4x12 would essentially be used as a piece of furniture here. Might look nice with a table runner and a few candles. :)

The KPA sounds pretty fantastic in the headphones. I use it exclusively that way. With my Beyer DT770's I can track all day and night with minimal fatigue.

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

It depents what you want to do with kpa tbh...since it sounds awesome through the computer I don't use cab, only live and maybe sometimes for fun at home.

• I'd go for an unpowered version because:
    - the powered one you only has an mono amp
    - with the unpowered one you have options for almost any stereo or mono amp

I have an unpowered rack version and a Matrix GT1000FX amplifier with two 2x12" Engl Cabinets. This is perfect for my needs, cause I'm able to adjust the volume seperately for the left and right channel... very useful in several situations, e.g. when playing with two guitarists in a band.

This also applies to FRFR speakers, of course.

• Cheers for the replies.

Thing is, something like the Matrix power amp is like £600, so significantly more than the price bump of the powered KPA.

I would consider selling my 4x12 and perhaps buying a FRFR speaker but I would only get ~£200 for it so it doesn't make much sense as far as saving money goes.

• Its all money....

You will not be disappointed with either.

I would suggested powered because its all there in one box and more options. Less cost overall and it will do everything a non powered one will do. It means I can ruck up at a new rehearsal room and decide if I go 4 x12 or powered monitor, depending upon what they have.

I see no need for on stage stereo personally. I used to run a stereo rig back in the day and apart from fun with ping pong delays, it offers very little in my mind. Yes its "wider" but that can also mean less clarity. Big stages you mic up anyway or go FOH.. Later you want to, you can always get separate power amp as well...but each to their own..

• Very happy powered toaster user here!
    I like it very much to have a guitar cab next to me and go with XLR stereo from KPA to FOH.
    Have a guitar cab at home and in rehearsal room and have to carry only the toaster.

• I'm glad a have a powered version. I rarely use the Kemeper in stereo, if I need to run stereo I still have that option.

If there is a jam session with my buddies I can grab it and just plug into thier cabs or take my FRFR cab. You don't have this option or convienece with an unpowered version.

Last gig I had I plugged into a DI to the FOH, sound guy was impressed and relieved he didn't have to mic my amp, sounded great. My FRFR cab was my monitor on stage.

I like V8s comment about running stereo on stage, it never happens with me. Waiting might be tough but being able to use the amp plunged in is a great option.

• I decided to buy a non powered Kemper because of being more flexible. At home I could not use the poweramp.I use active nearfield monitors.
    At Gig the main are connected to FOH and I use an active 200 W Monitor for personal use..
    Till now I do not use stereo effects, but I do not know the future.

• Hey mate whatever choice is good. I got the powered toaster cause like you I asked myself 'what if' but in the end I have used the power output very few. Go for the unpowered toaster cause this is what you really need and there are solutions on the market for upgrading the unit. Does not work with the rack tho.
    hth
    cheers

• I have the powerhead for almost two years now. Great toaster. I run it to a QSC K8 PA speakercab. But recently I've seen and heard the unpowered rackversion with an all valve stereo poweramp (KOCH 4502) together with 2 1x12 guitar speakerscabs in stereo. The wide sound spreading knocked me over.
    True, it's more expensive but, as said before, much more versatile.